Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Ok I got the WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm. I don't have a external drive so I was wondering how would I go about transferring everything from the stock HDD to the new one?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You're going to need either an external or an enclosure for the new drive.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Like this?

Rocketfish™ - USB 2.0/eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure Kit for 2.5" SATA Hard Drives

Convert your internal SATA hard drive into an external drive this hard drive enclosure kit that holds a " SATA hard drive.

Product Features
Compatible with 2.5" internal SATA hard drives
eSATA and USB 2.0 ports allow for high-speed data transmission
Design facilitates high-performance heat dissipation
One button backup function minimizes loss of data
Windows 7 compatible for flexible use
Includes USB cable, eSATA cable, 2 cover options, screwdriver and screws

$49.99

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Like this?

Rocketfish™ - USB 2.0/eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure Kit for 2.5" SATA Hard Drives

Convert your internal SATA hard drive into an external drive this hard drive enclosure kit that holds a " SATA hard drive.

Product Features
Compatible with 2.5" internal SATA hard drives
eSATA and USB 2.0 ports allow for high-speed data transmission
Design facilitates high-performance heat dissipation
One button backup function minimizes loss of data
Windows 7 compatible for flexible use
Includes USB cable, eSATA cable, 2 cover options, screwdriver and screws

$49.99

Yes, that will work.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
So I connect this through USB and use some type of migration feature and when it's done just install the drive into the MBP and will boot like it did with the stock drive?

Yes, you can clone the hard drive with CCC. I think 50 bucks for enclosure is quite a lot, here is one for 15 bucks

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
So I connect this through USB and use some type of migration feature and when it's done just install the drive into the MBP and will boot like it did with the stock drive?

(I've done it three times)

1. Install the new drive in the enclosure
  2. Download and install Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!
  3. Using one of those apps, clone the drive to the new external
  4. Swap the drives
  5. Boot
  6. Ensure everything is there
  7. Erase the external, and use as a external, or keep it as a clone backup.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
If you want to continue using your current internal drive as an external drive, then an enclosure is the best solution (as others have said).

But if you don't, and all you want to do is transfer the data and then be done with it, you might look at one of these:

http://www.granitedigital.com/usb20tosataideharddrivebridgeadapter.aspx

The "standard kit" is an extremely handy thing to have -- you can connect it to SATA and PATA devices both, including PATA 2.5" drives. You can connect to any drive you can get at, regardless of whether the computer housing that drive is powered up, because the kit can supply power to the drive.

There are various manufacturers. I link to the Granite Digital version because I've used it and know that it works.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Just got a Western digital Scorpio Black 7200rpm drive from best buy. I ripped them off like they tried to rip me. I was checking to make sure I had the right one and no one helped me. They talked to everyone in there except me. Long story short some how the black for 74.99 got rung up as the blue for 49.99.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Ordered the ram Monday at 11:30pm and order the enclosure posted above yesterday right after he posted it. Pick UPS 3 day shipping with fast processing and both items are out for delivery right now. Newegg is quick.

nwbusa

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
BC, Canada
Just got a Western digital Scorpio Black 7200rpm drive from best buy. I ripped them off like they tried to rip me. I was checking to make sure I had the right one and no one helped me. They talked to everyone in there except me. Long story short some how the black for 74.99 got rung up as the blue for 49.99.

:eek:

How did Best Buy try to rip you off? :confused:

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Ok i have my HDD enclosure and I installed it. When I connect it to the mac it says its unusable and opens a kind of format window. Its has first aid, erase, partition, raid and restore. Which do I use? If I erase it what format do I set it as? I see mac OS extended(journaled), mac OS extended, mac OS extended(case sensitive journaled), mac OS extended(case sensitive) and MS DOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.