iPad mini Got a new iPad mini. Should I swap for an iPad mini 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jason1978, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Jason1978, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

Jason1978 macrumors regular

Hello merry Christmas guys. I just got an iPad mini for Xmas, at the risk of sounding spoiled should I replace and get the iPad mini 2? I am quite happy with it but I am just worried that in a year or two it will become really really slow. If there is no real advantage of upgrading besides better screen and slightly faster processor then I will stay.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Yes you can exchange it. The iPad 2 is older tech with much the same specs as the Mini, unless you meant the retina Mini. Both the Mini and the 2 come with 512mb ram...the rMini has 1024. If you can afford to get a retina Mini, it will certainly last you a bit longer. Congrats on your new iToy either way.

4. Jason1978, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Got a new iPad mini. Should I swap for an iPad mini 2?

Thanks guys. Maybe I will return. I'm undecided because this iPad mini isn't my daily driver. I have a MacBook and a iPhone 5s so I think the speed might be good for a device that I just use when I'm not using my MacBook or phone. Although I do see myself using it for browsing more then my phone.

5. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Yes! Get the iPad Mini Retina. The difference in the display alone is night and day, let alone all the other internal upgrades you will get.

6. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

I would be upgrading for the speed not so much the retina. But the speed on this mini is still fast but the speed on the retina is obviously faster lol

7. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

This isn't a retina put down, but until apple sort out the memory/retina problems the original if bought at the right price is a bargain compared to what he retina model costs depending on if you can live with the original mini. It's thinner than the retina model, and lighter but for games and reading then the retina model excels, but at an increased cost.

8. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

My main issue is speed. Do I have to worry about this iPad that I have now getting slower by a considerable amount in the future? The answer to that will make my decision clear.

9. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I had the original Mini and loved it, but the Retina Mini is worth the difference. All aspects of the rMini are better.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I strongly suggest a change with a rMini .... High res display and 1 Gb of ram are the minimum requirement nowadays.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

The main difference are the retina screen and A7 processor so I also vote to get the rMini

12. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Would I be ok if I only use it for browsing. Not much of a movie and game fanatic.

13. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

For browsing the internet, without too many tabs open the mini1 is fine. I have had no problems with mine, however the screen quality on the retina may be beneficial for you if you read a lot of small writing etc?

I have a mac, and an iPhone 5s and just wanted a portable tablet that could be an inbetween device for web browsing (phone is too small) and the odd game now and then... I bought myself an iPad Air when they were released but took it back because it was just too big for my liking, where as the mini fitted in my hands perfectly and I could use it at night in bed without any problems holding it for a long period of time.

Your best bet is to go in-store, play with them side by side and see which one you could live with. Either one you won't be disappointed, as most apps and games are still optimised for the 512mb RAM and A5 setup, although that may well be a problem in a year or so... but chances are if they bring another new mini out - you may want to upgrade anyway.

14. skillwill macrumors regular

I understand why you feel like that now but I think you'll probably find you will end up using it more than that. I thought along the same lines as this when I got my iPad 2 (since upgraded to Air) but it fairly quickly ended up replacing my macbook and, when at home, my iPhone - so it might be worth getting a model that will last a bit longer.

15. WilliamG macrumors 604

iOS 7.1 fixes a lot of issues, so it won't be a problem much longer anyway.

16. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I wasn't dissing the retina, it's superior in nearly every way just saying for some it may be unnecessary :)

17. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Argh I'm confused lol. How long will this thing last before it becomes too slow to use?

Like I said screen resolution doesn't matter to me. I do browsing and use some apps that's it.

So does it make more sense to stay with this one and give up massive speed?

Still undecided. Might just go and get the other one.

18. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

It's hard to say, you may now think that you don't need it as much, but as you use it you'll use it more and may wish you had the retina version... I know that doesn't help lol. If you can afford it, get the retina to put your mind at ease.

19. mripadmini macrumors regular

no need in my oppion. i do watch movies, games, ect on my ipad mini and it does just fine.

20. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Yah that's what I'm thinking. You think ours will be working good in a few years? Same speed almost?

21. WilliamG macrumors 604

Browsing = you care about resolution. Exchange the iPad. It's well worth it for the comparatively small expense.

22. JGWolven macrumors regular

23. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

The hardware in the original mini is almost three years old. The A5 SoC was introduced in 2011 with the iPad 2, and has since been surpassed by the A6 and A7, both with twice the RAM as the A5. It's unlikely that Apple will spend much effort optimizing iOS 8 for the A5, and as apps begin taking more advantage of the A6 and A7, the apps will begin to feel slower on the original mini. The retina iPad mini is essentially two generations newer, making it a much better buy if you're interested in longevity. And as others have noted, the screen is MUCH better for web browsing!

24. Jason1978 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. This is the sort of explanation I was looking for. It has made my mind up. Thanks again.

25. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

You're very welcome! Glad I could help.