Got a New iPad Pro? Buy AppleCare+!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tapiture, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Tapiture macrumors 6502

EverythingApplePro posted a video with the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro, testing its durabity. Quite frankly, it did not do well... at all. Dropping it face down from a waist height resulted in a completely shattered screen, and later in the video he shows it can be bent with little effort. It’s quite a bad performance and, while iPads aren’t dropped as often as some other devices, means some of the more accident-prone users should definitely consider getting a protection plan.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I typically never add AppleCare, as I am fairly cautious with my Apple devices. But for those who are accident prone or are physically hard on their iPads, AppleCare is a must.

3. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Got it on my 12.9inch hopefully I never need it

4. Kelson13 macrumors member

Kelson13

This is what rugged (not decorative) cases and screen protectors are for.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Oh man that video breaks my heart to watch. Destroying such a beautiful and powerful device...

The iPad 'bend tests' are a little less relevant than a phone as you don't tend to cart an iPad around in your pocket and any point of stress is very unlikely to be right in the middle as it was in the video, whereas that's a more common occurrence on a phone. AppleCare is always a good idea.

But again... damn that video. I can't imagine the Mona Lisa would fare too well if I wiped my backside on it.

6. Rck1984 macrumors member

Rck1984

Hurts to see this beauty being thrown on the ground...

I ordered AppleCare+ together with my iPad Pro 10.5 right away. Spending almost a 1000 bucks on a device, made out of 95% screen. I figured paying an extra 10% of the price wouldn't hurt. I would feel damn ***** if I'd drop it on the floor....

Decided to go without screen protector also this time around, because I think it's screws the experience at least a little. Especially now that I use my Pencil so often. If I screw up the screen for some reason, I'll head to the store and let them replace it.

7. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as bending you just have to be careful with backpacks and laptop bags. Those are the places where it could be under stress and get bent.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

True that! Still, I'm grimacing just thinking about the video...

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Like my wife; she torture iDevices through smashing and drowning ... #poordevices

10. texasstar1981 macrumors regular

AMEX 1 yr additional warranty coverage (up to the devices original value) and sturdy ESR case here...

so the Apple care would only offer coverage for accidents ... at $100 + $50 deductible... so $150 total for an incident ...

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The guy shouldn't have been surprised with the drop damage. Apple doesn't promote their products to be drop proof. He just wasted two good iPads for YouTube views, to pad his income.

12. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I was questioning his use of a 512 LTE model for a goddamn drop test....

13. doboy macrumors 68000

Wow, you must have an iPad from future if you have one with 95% screen. Even iPhone 4/4S had less than 95%. ;)

14. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Wow that is really bendy. Like frighteningly so.

15. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

Just a word of advice in case someone didn’t know. If you have AppleCare+ for less than 2 years on an unused device, you can cancel and get a pro-rated refund. Typically gets me 50%+ off the purchase of AppleCare+ on an upgraded device. Also, it should be expected that a glass screen would crack when dropped facedown from that height. It did pretty well on everything else.

16. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Didn't know this thanks for the tip

17. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

These things definitely aren't drop proof. Interesting to think though that in the future, things won't get damaged when they fall and we'll think how weird it was that people made videos of dropping devices from waist height to see how they would fare.

18. macduke Suspended

macduke

Now I'm even more irritated that Apple didn't sell rear cases to go along with their smart keyboard and covers. What are they honestly thinking?!??

19. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Bah. Nothing more than a bit of sensationalism aka Clickbait. With every drop on a hard surface, the integrity of the device gets a bit more compromised. And then to attempt a bend test AFTER the screen is already cracked.
    This video does NOTHING to provide insight into how the durability of the newer devices compares to the older.

20. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I think it does... He drops the 9.7 Pro along with the 10.5 they just happened to have the same low-durability. How can it not provide ANY insight when it directly compares the two?

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Low-durability compared to what? It is more correct to say that they have the similar durability. But low?

22. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

You saw how short of a drop it took to obliterate those screens. He shows in the video how the 12.9 was much more durable from even higher drops.

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

3,970,334 subscribers • 888,707,709 views

Maybe YouTube is how he generates his income?

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Well, feel free to believe that the new iPads are more fragile than previous gens. That video doesn't prove it.
    shrug.gif

25. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

I don’t know why you think I believe that, I never said that, I just think the durability is pretty low and maybe people ought to buy Apple care if they think they might drop it.