Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
EverythingApplePro posted a video with the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro, testing its durabity. Quite frankly, it did not do well... at all. Dropping it face down from a waist height resulted in a completely shattered screen, and later in the video he shows it can be bent with little effort. It’s quite a bad performance and, while iPads aren’t dropped as often as some other devices, means some of the more accident-prone users should definitely consider getting a protection plan.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
EverythingApplePro posted a video with the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro, testing its durabity. Quite frankly, it did not do well... at all. Dropping it face down from a waist height resulted in a completely shattered screen, and later in the video he shows it can be bent with little effort. It’s quite a bad performance and means some of the more accident-prone users should definitely consider getting a protection plan.

Got it on my 12.9inch hopefully I never need it

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Oh man that video breaks my heart to watch. Destroying such a beautiful and powerful device...

The iPad 'bend tests' are a little less relevant than a phone as you don't tend to cart an iPad around in your pocket and any point of stress is very unlikely to be right in the middle as it was in the video, whereas that's a more common occurrence on a phone. AppleCare is always a good idea.

But again... damn that video. I can't imagine the Mona Lisa would fare too well if I wiped my backside on it.

Rck1984

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
The Netherlands
EverythingApplePro posted a video with the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro, testing its durabity. Quite frankly, it did not do well... at all. Dropping it face down from a waist height resulted in a completely shattered screen, and later in the video he shows it can be bent with little effort. It’s quite a bad performance and, while iPads aren’t dropped as often as some other devices, means some of the more accident-prone users should definitely consider getting a protection plan.

Hurts to see this beauty being thrown on the ground...

I ordered AppleCare+ together with my iPad Pro 10.5 right away. Spending almost a 1000 bucks on a device, made out of 95% screen. I figured paying an extra 10% of the price wouldn't hurt. I would feel damn ***** if I'd drop it on the floor....

Decided to go without screen protector also this time around, because I think it's screws the experience at least a little. Especially now that I use my Pencil so often. If I screw up the screen for some reason, I'll head to the store and let them replace it.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Oh man that video breaks my heart to watch. Destroying such a beautiful and powerful device...

The iPad 'bend tests' are a little less relevant than a phone as you don't tend to cart an iPad around in your pocket and any point of stress is very unlikely to be right in the middle as it was in the video, whereas that's a more common occurrence on a phone. AppleCare is always a good idea.

But again... damn that video. I can't imagine the Mona Lisa would fare too well if I wiped my backside on it.
As far as bending you just have to be careful with backpacks and laptop bags. Those are the places where it could be under stress and get bent.

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
AMEX 1 yr additional warranty coverage (up to the devices original value) and sturdy ESR case here...

so the Apple care would only offer coverage for accidents ... at $100 + $50 deductible... so $150 total for an incident ...

Reactions: mbrink12

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Just a word of advice in case someone didn’t know. If you have AppleCare+ for less than 2 years on an unused device, you can cancel and get a pro-rated refund. Typically gets me 50%+ off the purchase of AppleCare+ on an upgraded device. Also, it should be expected that a glass screen would crack when dropped facedown from that height. It did pretty well on everything else.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Just a word of advice in case someone didn’t know. If you have AppleCare+ for less than 2 years on an unused device, you can cancel and get a pro-rated refund. Typically gets me 50%+ off the purchase of AppleCare+ on an upgraded device. Also, it should be expected that a glass screen would crack when dropped facedown from that height. It did pretty well on everything else.
Didn't know this thanks for the tip

Reactions: MisterMillz

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
The guy shouldn't have been surprised with the drop damage. Apple doesn't promote their products to be drop proof. He just wasted two good iPads for YouTube views, to pad his income.

These things definitely aren't drop proof. Interesting to think though that in the future, things won't get damaged when they fall and we'll think how weird it was that people made videos of dropping devices from waist height to see how they would fare.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Bah. Nothing more than a bit of sensationalism aka Clickbait. With every drop on a hard surface, the integrity of the device gets a bit more compromised. And then to attempt a bend test AFTER the screen is already cracked.
This video does NOTHING to provide insight into how the durability of the newer devices compares to the older.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Bah. Nothing more than a bit of sensationalism aka Clickbait. With every drop on a hard surface, the integrity of the device gets a bit more compromised. And then to attempt a bend test AFTER the screen is already cracked.
This video does NOTHING to provide insight into how the durability of the newer devices compares to the older.
Well I think it does... He drops the 9.7 Pro along with the 10.5 they just happened to have the same low-durability. How can it not provide ANY insight when it directly compares the two?

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Low-durability compared to what? It is more correct to say that they have the similar durability. But low?
You saw how short of a drop it took to obliterate those screens. He shows in the video how the 12.9 was much more durable from even higher drops.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You saw how short of a drop it took to obliterate those screens. He shows in the video how the 12.9 was much more durable from even higher drops.
Well, feel free to believe that the new iPads are more fragile than previous gens. That video doesn't prove it.
shrug.gif

Reactions: willmtaylor

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Well, feel free to believe that the new iPads are more fragile than previous gens. That video doesn't prove it.
View attachment 704075
I don’t know why you think I believe that, I never said that, I just think the durability is pretty low and maybe people ought to buy Apple care if they think they might drop it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.