Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I've never bought AppleCare in the decade I've been buying iPhones and now iPads, as I'm fairly careful with my devices, even if I do toss them around (onto the couch, etc). But in handling the new 12.9 Pro, I think I may opt for it for the first time ever. Something about the size of the device and screen, it just feels more fragile than my Air, and I feel like it's easier to accidentally knock off the couch or drop.

Reactions: c14nhl

theNatest

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Twin Cities
Has anyone found out what the pure repair/replacement cost of the iPad 10.5 is WITHOUT AppleCare?

I'd factor that into the equation of whether or not to purchase AppleCare.

https://support.apple.com/ipad/repair/screen-damage

Out-of-warranty* cost:
iPad mini, iPad mini 2: $199

iPad, iPad 2, iPad Air, iPad 5th generation: $249

iPad 3rd generation, iPad 4th generation, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2: $299

iPad Pro 9.7-inch: $379

iPad Pro 10.5-inch: $449

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation): $599

Plus a $6.95 shipping fee. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax.

Note:*Accidental damage isn't covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX

Out-of-warranty* cost:

iPad 3rd generation, iPad 4th generation, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2: $299

Note:*Accidental damage isn't covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.

Ouch! I just bought AC+ for my 10.5" online since I forgot to add it at the time of purchase. It's worth it after seeing those costs!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Ive always had great service and prices from these guys.

https://www.squaretrade.com/ipad-warranty
That is not quite the same. ST is a diminishing value insurance policy. Use up the value sooner than 2 or 3 years, and it's done.
[doublepost=1497785745][/doublepost]

Out-of-warranty* cost:

If consumers saw this in store/online, they might rethink their purchase.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'm not sure how this is meant to be a surprise? Drop anything this sort of size onto the ground and it will get broken...

IMHO phones are far, far more likely to get dropped than tablets, as you are a lot more likely to fumble around for a phone when it rings when you're busy doing something else. iPad will not be in that situation.

And my phone isn't any more either now i have a watch.

Reactions: willmtaylor

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
iPads have always been awful in drop test. Thankfully it's harder to drop than the phone's (shattered a lot of phones, but most of my iPads have been ok) however I do agree people should get some kind of insurance on the 12.9 model, especially if they are financing it on their telephone companies, it would suck to only owe $200 on your iPad then break it, then you still owe $200 and you have to pay $599 for a replacement. I didn't get insurance when I bought my 12.9 in January, and i'm currently saving to sell it and upgrade, mostly so I can get insurance. I'd rather pay $300 now for an upgrade and have insurance, so I don't have to pay $599 if I shatter my current one (it's dropped a couple of times, $10 screen protector saved it once).
[doublepost=1497821571][/doublepost]
Not getting it for an iPad, it's a waste, how people drop iPads is beyond me. iPhone I would get AppleCare for.

I honestly didn't have a problem dropping them until the Air 2, I think maybe then it was so light it was an issue, the 12.9 is just so big it's clumsy sometimes.

+ On the topic of screen replacement's my dad just upgraded to the 2017 iPad because replacing his 16GB iPad Air 2's screen would have costed the same amount.

Last edited:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
EverythingApplePro posted a video with the new 10.5 inch iPad Pro, testing its durabity. Quite frankly, it did not do well... at all. Dropping it face down from a waist height resulted in a completely shattered screen, and later in the video he shows it can be bent with little effort. It’s quite a bad performance and, while iPads aren’t dropped as often as some other devices, means some of the more accident-prone users should definitely consider getting a protection plan.

That guy is a tool .

Reactions: MikaLoop

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
A question to you guys: do you think the new iPad Pros are less durable than the last gen iPad Pro? I remember EverythingApplePro really having a hard time bending the old 12.9" - then again, I can't imagine new ones being weaker in any way.

Also, anyone concerned with screen flex while drawing? It's really easy to flex the screen in the middle a bit while using the Penci.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
A question to you guys: do you think the new iPad Pros are less durable than the last gen iPad Pro? I remember EverythingApplePro really having a hard time bending the old 12.9" - then again, I can't imagine new ones being weaker in any way.

Also, anyone concerned with screen flex while drawing? It's really easy to flex the screen in the middle a bit while using the Penci.
The screen flex is normal and nothing to worry about.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
I don’t know why you think I believe that, I never said that, I just think the durability is pretty low and maybe people ought to buy Apple care if they think they might drop it.
Why reward Apple for inbuilt fragility by paying them more? In any case, my New iPad is going to be around for several years. I'll Buy a real good case.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why reward Apple for inbuilt fragility by paying them more? In any case, my New iPad is going to be around for several years. I'll Buy a real good case.
Apple works to instill fear in their customers. Apple benefits by selling AppleCare, partners benefit by selling screen protectors, cases, etc. Even more so when the cases are stylish fashions and not just utilitarian protection.

I regularly encourage everyone to consider their own personal track record with devices. If a person is the type that drop their devices on a daily basis, then AppleCare, cases, etc. are a must-have. If they have accidents less frequently, consider a sturdy case (rather than the whole AppleCare package). The less frequent the incidents, the less AppleCare makes sense.

Reactions: movieator

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I bought from John Lewis in the UK so I have a 3 year warranty, and I make sure to pick home insurance which covers me for accidental damage, for a fraction of the cost of applecare and it covers all my stuff.

For Europeans I'd argue applecare is a waste of money as you'd have repair cover for at least 2 years under EU law, and accidental damage insurance is cheaper from third parties.

Yeah that's fine if you don't mind your device being sent off to a "lowest bidder" repair company.

My wife dropped her MacBook Air and broke the screen after only 3 weeks of ownership. Just a glancing blow against the corner of a table right beside the glowing apple logo was all it took. Our home insurance would have covered it with a £150 excess plus premium increases for a few years, or we could get Apple to repair it in-store within 48 hours for £264. We went with the latter and are glad we did because otherwise we would have had to post off the laptop to some 3rd party repair shop.

Also, you might want to look at the terms of your 2 or 3 year warranty as it might not be as straightforward as you think.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
I buy AppleCare+ on every thing that offers it. Peace of mind. And Im pretty easy on my things, I don't baby them I just take care of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.