Got a new kitten! Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Nov 22, 2007.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Meet Jambi!

[​IMG]

He's an approximately 9 week old kitten born of a mixed litter of other similar looking kittens and a few Siamese. A friend of mine rescued his mother from the wild just a few weeks after these kittens were born.

Obviously, we decided to adopt one of our own. We have thought about getting a kitten for a while now and this seemed like as good an opportunity as any.

We love him to death, but there is one small problem. He is extremely shy and afraid. You can't get near him no matter how slow, careful, and nonthreatening you act. It's only been about 72 hours since we brought him home, and I don't want to miss the chance to do everything I can to help him come out of his shell while he's still very young.

If you can manage to catch him, he will purr intensely while you pet him, but as soon as you stop, he runs off and you can't find him anywhere. He doesn't seem playful in his hiding, but fearful, which worries me.

The first night, we placed him in our bed between us and he went right to sleep (waking up sometime during the night to poo on the dining room floor) and was with us again when we woke up. The second night he came to bed without us having to bring him. He worked like hell to get into our bed (which is almost 3ft tall) so he really wanted to be near us! Last night he stayed awake all night in the living room and wouldn't move.

Today he is acting his usual. Hiding from me, meowing like he wants attention, and climbing on stuff when I'm not in the room. He eats plenty, and uses the litter box several times a day (with the occasional "accident" somewhere else, which hasn't happened in over 24 hours). He has kept all his food down and everything, so I don't think he's sick.

I should note that he has not had his first round of shots yet. Aside from the possibilty that he may be sick (we are visiting the vet Saturday), what do you guys think is going on? What should I do? Wait it out? Ignore him and let him come to me?

Thanks for any advice. :)

2. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

My fiancee and I regularly foster feral kittens for a local charity, and bring them round before sending them on their way to new families.

If the litter was born in the wild, and he's used to being with his litter and/or mother, then the first few days away from a comfortable environment will undoubtedly be a bit distressing for him.

My fiancee is the real expert in this (she's a Veterinary Nurse), but stick with it, and I'm sure he'll come round. If he;s eating well, and his ... ahem.... deposits are 'solid', then I'm sure he's not ill, but if you've got any doubts at all, go visit your vet.

But from the sounds of it, he's getting used to you already, and thats a good sign, especially within the first few days. We recently had a pair of young ones, and one of them kept attacking us for the first week or two - now he's the friendliest cat you'll meet.

Good luck though - he looks a right character! :)

3. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I think he'll be fine. My last one took about a week, then he wouldn't leave us alone...haha.

4. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the advice so far. I really hope he comes around. Right now he's hiding in the laundry room (where he always is).

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Yeah, don't force it. It sounds like he's getting used to you, which is good. Try the whole "only come so close" and stop so he doesn't feel like your approach is always going to mean his "capture". Does he play? (toy mice and stuff?) that's a way to get him to come closer to you. Nothing aggressive though.

He's going to be most annoyed with you for catching him and bringing him to a vet. If he's a bit distant for a couple days after that, don't be surprised.

Sounds like he'll be fine in time. That's sweet of you to take him in. :)

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

At 9 months, it's no longer a kitten. A basic vet checkup is in order, definitely. Cats in general need around three weeks to acclimate to something new, in this case, your place. Just keep things consistent around the house, don't go moving stuff around on it. Routine is important!

Jambi will come around of his own accord, don't try to force him, but be gently persistent. Provide some "safe places", like a chair in a corner with a blanket draped over it to hide under, and an elevated perch somewhere he can easily get to to "keep an eye" on things.

They also will take clues from your behavior. Don't jump up when the phone or doorbell rings, things like that. Try & keep a calm household for a while, but don't isolate the cat.

Kitty toys are important. Get a nice variety of things for him to play with. A scratching post is important, too--the ones wound with sisal rope are best (no dyes!). Keep a bowl of dry food and one of water always available. Watch the milk--gives most cats the runs.

You're gonna have to try lots of things to learn the cat (they are ALL very different!), and Jambi will learn you as well. Give it time, and lots of love.

7. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Sorry, I meant 9 weeks. Original post edited.

As of yet, he has not been very playful. Like I said before, he loves to be petted when you can get him to sit/lay with you, but toys seem to be wasted on him for the time being.

[​IMG]
    "Please don't hurt me!"

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ OMG, that photo! awwwww, it's kind of heartbreaking.

Him being 9 months is kinda tricky but definitely not too late or anything. He seems really sweet, just timid. I bet in a few months he'll be a totally different cat.

9. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Sorry, in my original post I meant 9 weeks. I'm sure you're comment still stands, though. Thanks! :)

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh that's good then! Yeah I thought he looked really really tiny for 9 months. LOL

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

When I adopted my two from a rescue foundation, they were too sick and too young to bring home for awhile yet. Plus, they had a traumatic beginning. And the tip the folks gave me, was to keep them holed up in a smaller room. Have everything there-- litter box, food, water and keep the door closed. Example, one small bedroom or even, a bathroom (make sure it's warm enough).

Hang out in that smaller space w/ Jambi.

Do NOT pay attention to him. As in, bring a book or magazine and sit quietly reading. Let him approach you. Be patient. Took mine about three days to get used to me in a small bathroom. Then I moved them to my bedroom, always keeping the door closed so that they felt safer and could get used to a space.

Shrug. Worked for me and others, too.

12. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It is a common misconception that purring loudly is simply a sign of contentment. Cats purring, when it is 'intense' is usually a distress sign. He's simply not used to such close physical contact with a person. I show cats, and observe this type of intense purring with first timers.

My best advice would be not to push it. Just go about your day normal and let him see thats how your home works and that he is welcome to be a part of it. Pushing him to have close contact can result in very negative affects. A little time and patience will make for a cat that wants to be around you.

On another note, it is also a common misconception that living with black cats are bad luck (if you are the supertitous kind), but actually having a black cat call your place home is good luck! Its when a stray crosses you path you should worry ;) He's very cute, good luck with him!

13. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I love it! :D

Everything of his is in the laundry room (we never lock him in there with the machines running, btw). He feels very safe in there hiding behind the machines when necessary. I suppose I could hang out in there with him for a few, or maybe bring him into the bathroom and sit there with him for a while (if I bring my laptop, I'll be in there all day easy!).

Thanks for the information. I will make sure and leave him be and let him come along on his own. :)

QUESTION:

I've read that it's alright for cats to have deli meat (particular turkey) as long as it is in very small doses and used as a snack or treat only. Is this true? I ask because I just made a turkey sandwich and Jambi came out to see just what smelled so good. I was tempted to give him a little treat for coming out of his little hidey-hole!

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Oh, my kitties LOVES deli turkey! And smoked salmon that I make. And the smoked turkey they'll have tonight...

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yay kettehs! I love black kittens. Lots of good advice here. He sounds like he's affectionate already. Congrats!

16. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

How cute! Just don't give it any milk its bad for kitties.

17. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Jambi takes after me, apparently. He loves this deli turkey I have. I will be careful to only give him a little at a time, every once in a while, just in case. :)

Thanks! When I got home just now, it was the first time I walked in and he wasn't hiding, nor did he go into hiding at first sight of me!

That's what I've been hearing. No milk for this one. Thanks! :)

18. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Milk is supposedly OK for kittens, but they will eventually become lactose intolerant... So it might be fine for the time being.

19. iCube macrumors 6502

Jambi is really cute!! I love the bottom fangs showing, mid-meow! Great advice so far. Dry food such as "Authority" for Kittens is great and is made by and found at PetSmart. It's very high quality. My new kitten Boris loves it! Avoid milk and canned food is my advice. Avoid giving him any human food, his little stomach needs something gentle until he's about a year old. Jambi sounds normal and will warm up to you fast. He will be hand tamed soon and will follow you into every room for sure!! A lot of kittens/cats get squirmy when you hold them too close. Enjoy! Here's my Boris...

20. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Wow, they could be twins! :D

I was able to get Jambi to play with one of his toys last night for a few minutes. It was a lot of fun! I hope he becomes a very playful cat (though he also started playing with the tablecloth and came very close to pulling everying off the table -- and subsequently onto himself). :eek:

21. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Well, it seems Jambi has both fleas and worms. :(

If I understand correctly, both are easily treatable and will be gone within a week or two, and the good news is he tested negative on the AIDS/Leukemia test!

Just thought I'd let everyone know and any comments or tips are always appreciated! :)

P.S. He got freaked out this morning when I came around the corner a little too quickly and he disappeared up underneath the floor cabinets in my kitchen. Not IN the cabinets, but underneath behind the baseboard.

Hope he can get out!

22. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Such a cute cat too bad for the fleas and worms but there easy to treat.

23. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thank you. Fleas and worms are all taken care of at this point and he is one healthy kitty! And he's growing really fast!

On top of that, just as many of you predicted, he has quickly become very playful and never leaves us alone! He is pretty much non-stop playing and running around now, which is great except for that he loves to claw and scratch everything. :eek:

What can ya do..? :rolleyes:

In case anyone is interested, here's a new pic!

[​IMG]

24. 119576 Guest

Oh my.

If I had a kitten...I would turn it into LOLcat fodder.