Got a Nikon D40 - Problem!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I received a Nikon D40 for Christmas. I've just started using it, and I've noticed on every single image there is a dark... thing. I'm assuming it's a speck of dust. I don't notice the mark through the view finder, but when I look on the LCD screen (looking back on the photo's I've taken), it is always there.

What is likely to be the problem? Is it simply dust? How do I get it fixed?
    It was a Christmas present and it was bought over a month ago, so I wouldn't be able to get an exchange in the shop.

Is this permanent?

2. wronski macrumors 6502

Sounds like a piece of dust on the sensor. You need to take the lens off, lift the mirror up with your finger, and blow the dust off with something using the surrounding air (absolutely not compressed air). Be extremely careful when you do this to make sure you don't make it worse. Post a sample image and we can make sure this is the problem.

3. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Image attached.

Cropped for size (the real mark isn't that big).

4. mcnicks macrumors regular

Unless you are already experienced with SLR cameras I don't think you should go poking around inside around the mirror and sensor yourself. Do you know where it was purchased and/or do you have the receipt? You might be able to take it into a store and get them to look at it or replace it.

5. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I work in the store that I bought it from. I probably could ask a manager if I could change it.

Thing is though that I don't know if we have any other D40's in stock.

I had a look inside, I can see a few specks on the top part of the glass thing (i.e. underneath the flash). I tried fanning some air into it but no luck.

6. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

That looks like a spec of dust on the sensor....It IS a fairly easy thing to take care of, and there are kits you can get that contain all the cleaning tools you need (http://www.copperhillimages.com/ ) but I would not suggest doing it if it is a brand new camera...

While a probably a little extreme, I would probably just exchange it for another one. If its brand new I dont see any sense in paying to have it cleaned...

Oh, and I would not suggest playing around inside..the dust is attracted to the sensor by an electrical charge, so fanning air inside wont do anything...and dont blow compressed air in there either..

7. wronski macrumors 6502

The glass thing isn't the issue; that's just the mirror which only affects what you see in the viewfinder. To get the dust off of the photo (and that's definitely what the issue is) you need to get it off of the sensor because it's blocking light from reaching that area. Grab the bottom of the mirror with your finger (making sure not to touch the mirror surface) and blow on the black part, the sensor, that is behind the mirror. You could try one of those turkey baster looking things for blowing the air on there or just blow on it and make sure you don't spit. This is easy to do and even if you have to spend like $5 for some sort of tool at least you'll have it for later since dust can settle on a sensor any time.

I know it doesn't seem like it's "fair" to get a camera that already has dust on the sensor but it happens pretty often. Exchanging it will just result in a lot of unnecessary ecological pressure like the fuel used to ship it back to the factory (and they're just going to blow the dust off the sensor and ship it back again).

Not for experienced users blah blah blah, suck it up and do it.

8. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

ummmm...so exactly HOW much fuel will a 1 pound camera use to be shipped back?

To the OP, its your call....but keep in mind while it truly is not that diffucult to do, these things can be damaged pretty easily.....

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

That's the same lookin' thing i see when I look thru my glasses when they're covered in dust.

10. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to digital SLRs... I'm a little nervous about doing anything that could damage the camera.

11. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

You should also have a look at your lens just to make sure it's on the sensor.

12. wronski macrumors 6502

It's a mindset thing. It becomes significant when everyone thinks it's normal and does it on a regular basis for what is a completely unnecessary reason. If you consider that someone will just end up doing what you don't have the balls to do then why not just do it yourself and save all the trouble.

Just go to the store and have someone help you then. Anyone with SLR experience would know about it.

13. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Sorry, but I believe you're coming across at slightly arrogant. I've never owned an SLR before, and the camera (to me) was expensive, and I don't want to risk scratching the lens or something similar.

14. wronski macrumors 6502

I'm just saying there's a first time for everything. I was in your position when I was 15 and somehow I did it just fine. If you don't do it now, when will you? Should have gotten an SLR with automated dust removal (now, that was arrogant).

15. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Dust is an unfortunate fact of life for SLR owners. Luckily, its easy to prevent and clean.

For something small like that, just buy a Giotto's Rocket blower ($6) and remove your lens, and go to town. Blow lots of air on it. 9 times out of 10 that will fix your issue. To prevent it from happening in the future, avoid lens changes in dirty environments and make sure your bag is clean before putting the camera in.

PS this belongs in the Photograph forum...

16. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

What, like a Canon EOS-450D (XSi) - double the price of the D40?

I asked for the D40 due to it's excellent reviews, and although I would have liked a more expensive camera with automatic dust cleaning and live view etc, I was also conscious of the fact that my parents when buying me this as a gift.

17. wronski macrumors 6502

I don't care for automatic dust removal either. The D40 is a great camera and I'm a Nikon guy myself. You came here, introduced your problem, and asked for help. We've given you the best and quickest solutions out there. What else are you asking for then?

a) Just go clean it. You'll have to eventually anyway.
    b) Ask someone that's done it for help.
    c) Return it and get a new one (which might come with dust as well).

There's really nothing else more.

18. Cory5412 macrumors member

If the shop where it was bought (or any shop in town, really) is a shop with a moderately good photography section, or a dedicated camera shop, you should be able to take the D40 there and ask them about cleaning the sensor, and you can probably spent a little bit of time there with someone who will be able to recommend a good kit for cleaning it, and will be able to show you how to use everything properly.

A lot of shops also offer cleaning services which they seem to recommend you do yearly (if not monthly) that you can do if you you're *really* squeamish about cleaning it on your own.

I also recommend one of the little blowers, but a camera shop can help you out if you want to ask locally and in-person about cleaning kits/tools/etc.

19. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

Well, the Nikon D40 is a great camera! And as a matter of fact, you are not the first one with dust on the sensor: http://www.google.com/search?q=dust on sensor

20. James L macrumors 6502a

I hear ya.

Dust on the sensor, as mentioned above, is a fact of life when owning a digital SLR. If you don't want to clean it yourself, just go to a decent camera store and they can do it for you. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the camera, and if you swap it you will most likely end up with dust in the new one at some point.

Call around to the camera stores, find one who will do it. It's a five minute "repair".

Good luck!

21. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I can think of one shop where I live where I think they might do sensor cleaning. If they don't, I think I'll try to exchange it (I work in the store I bought it from) and buy one of those rocket things or a cleaning kit.

I appreciate all the links for cleaning kits, but unfortunately I'm not in the US (I'm in the UK) so I'll try to find something here that I can order.

22. Cory5412 macrumors member

The shop will probably not replace it because of sensor dust -- You might consider just taking the lens off and blowing lightly into the camera to see if you can dislodge the dust without a blower, if you can't get one. Be careful with that method though.

It's far more trouble than it's worth to exchange the D40 because of sensor dust. Every digital SLR ever gets sensor dust.

23. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

So if I don't want to dislodge it by blowing, what's the other option? Professionally cleaned in a shop?

24. Cory5412 macrumors member

Unfortunately -- yes, professional cleaning is the remaining option. I really recommend you try just blowing it out to get it moved. The piece of dust in there is probably so small that if you ewre to lock up the mirror and look at it, you wouldn't be able to see it. It may not even be stuck there, such that if you were to lock up the mirror and open it to look, the dust may be gone when you next looked.