Got a Response from Steve Jobs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Okay, so I emailed Steve about their press release and about how dissatisfied I am with their response. He sent me a typical one line response back.

I won't bother proving its validity with headers and everything, because honestly, it's not that exciting. I just thought I would share.

Here's what I wrote:

Mr. Jobs,

I have to express my extreme disappointment with the press release Apple just released regarding the iPhone 4 antenna issues. It is clear to almost any user that this problem goes beyond a simple problem with how the bars are being calculated. To make that claim not only assumes that iPhone users are gullible, but tarnishes the reputation of Apple as a whole.

As a loyal Apple user, I have been defending the entire antenna issue to others by saying that I had confidence that Apple would stand behind their product and make whatever exchanges, repairs, or fixes necessary to alleviate the issue. Unfortunately, after this press release it is clear to me that Apple is simply passing the blame, not admitting to the flaws of the product, and ruining its reputation in the process.

I sincerely hope you will change your mind on this stance and work to alleviate the real problems people are having with your product, rather than bowing to the whims of the PR department to try and diffuse the issue without a real fix.

*My Name*
    *My Email*

Here was his response:

We respectfully disagree.

Sent from my iPhone​

Like I said, not very exciting. I got all excited when I saw a response in my inbox, but I should have known that it would be so short.

It is interesting that he is still emailing people back, though. People were speculating that PR would clamp down on him after the law suits started and things.

EDIT:

Okay, I'll humor you all. Here is a screenshot, though it doesn't show much.

[​IMG]

2. theman510 macrumors 6502

3. xxxsteveoxxx macrumors member

xxxsteveoxxx

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Headers and it might have happened ;)

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Meh, I actually believe you. It's funny how responses from Steve Jobs are starting to become somewhat routine.

"We respectfully disagree"

Nice.:rolleyes:

6. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Okay, I added a screenshot to the original post.

7. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I believe that email is genuine because that's the typical douche bag reply Steve Jobs would send.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That was fun for awhile, but we're not doing it anymore. In a scenario like this it's easy to photoshop an e-mail. It was more appropriate for photos/videos.

FWIW: I took the OP at their word. If someone comes here to fib, it happens and we shouldn't feed the trolls.

9. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Honestly, if I were going to fake an email I would have made it a lot more exciting than this.

I didn't think his response was terrible, and I'm sure he's getting a lot of these right now, but I spent quite a bit of time crafting what I thought was a very reasoned and well-written email without being a whiner, and I was hoping for a little more of a response.

Oh well, I guess it's cool just to get SOME response, and it's nice to know he is still emailing people back.

I still stand behind everything I said in that email, though. Apple is killing its reputation, and it's starting to look more like Microsoft every day.

10. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I believe this response to be real as well. Even if it isn't real, we all know it's exactly the kind of thing SJ would say, so that makes it real enough for me.

Apple does truly believe the antenna is a non-issue. After the Anandtech review, I partially agree, and partially don't.

11. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I don't know. I don't really believe that no one at Apple has been able to replicate the issue. More importantly, the fact that Steve Jobs in his keynote and practically everyone in the commercials have been "holding it wrong" suggests that they didn't know this antenna problem existed early on.

I really feel like they are covering up their knowledge of it now. Sure, it may only affect people in lower signal areas, but for people in those areas it REALLY affects them. I can make the iPhone lose signal in my house with just a finger lightly touching "the spot" but I can cover my wife's dumb phone entirely with both hands and never have a problem.

And I'm NOT just talking about bars here, I'm talking about loss of signal and dropping the call.

Something is clearly wrong with that.

12. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Just wait for the firmware update. Apple might change more then the bars. Could imagine the notes will be like this:
    1. Fixed displaying of bars
    2. Other bugs

13. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

That's true, and very possible. I still have a hard time believing that the issues can be solved by software, but I'm hopeful.

As hypocritical as it may sound, though, I'm still keeping the phone. I'll probably have to use a case, but I still love the darn phone. I can't give up the screen and the apps and everything else, so I'll suffer through the antenna problem and hope for a fix.

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I don't think software will fix it 100% but I do think they can make it improve via software.

15. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Well what I mean is that they know that touching that seam results in signal loss, they have admitted to that (in their own Applecare support script) but I think SJ honestly believes it's not a problem, that the phone's total reception is better than the 3GS's, that all phones have some signal loss, and that you really should just not hold it that way or get a case.

In other words, I think he sees it just as a part of the phone experience, not as a fundamental flaw, you know?

16. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yeah, I can really understand Steve's point about holding it wrong. It was never intended to be held that way. I don't know where we ever got the idea to hold it like that...

[​IMG]

17. diabolic macrumors 68000

Yes, they are saying it works as designed, not admitting a flaw. Even if some people need to hold it differently or put it in a case to get better results.

18. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Haha hey I'm not saying what he believes is actually right.. but all indications are that is what he believes anyway. And the thing about Apple is whatever Steve believes is a my way or the highway kind of thing.

19. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Yeah I know. I'm not picking on you, it's just so funny that they keep pulling out this idea of holding it wrong, when Steve held it that way for almost the entire keynote and every actor in the commercials does it.

Not to mention, I don't have to cup it in my hand or "hold it really tight" as some engineers have talked about. I can lay it on a desk and very lightly touch the black seam with one finger and make a call drop.

Does that sound like something most cell phones do?

20. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Yeah, I can literally kill a call with my pinky. It's almost.. magical.

21. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

Legit

It is legit.

Quite a few emails are being forwarded to to the PR dept as well. I sent Steve an email on similar grounds a few days ago. Although I stressed my displeasure more from a stand point of design being too much of a focus over function these days. I also stressed my anxiety over pre-odering in the future. Not to sound inflating but my family and I have owned every Apple product since 1990 and while not fanboys, consider ourselves dedicated evangelists. I listed our years of support in the email.

The response was from Diana Bonazzoil Corporate Executive Relations at Apple wanting to talk to me. I called her and discussed my concerns. I will not publish the remarks, or her phone number, but was not changed in my concerns. I am more interested in the software solution than I was prior to the conversation. Time will tell.

So at least some items are getting forwarded, or being monitored by others than Steve. There does seem to be a big push to keep long time customers in place.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. No intent to appear as "special". :apple:

22. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That's actually really interesting. Thanks for posting. I'm not sure how "respectably" he disagrees though, hah.

23. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

Well....as Sickipedia says... 'Nothing says "I'm a cnut" like having "Sent from my iPhone" on the end of your eMails'

Jobs now epitomises that joke....how many example videos would it take? :eek:

24. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Hm, the one thing they don't show the iPhone 4 doing is making a normal call, while being held that way.

25. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

are you people who email mr jobs really so deluded that you think he cares/reads what you have written to him. i am sure he is a busy man and you sstill think he has the time to sit and read these essay emails you are sending to him. get a grip.