Got an iPad 2 yesterday - what its main use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NickC84, Mar 26, 2011.

1. NickC84 macrumors member

Hi,

I got an iPad 2 32GB wifi yesterday from my local Comet.

Installed a few apps on it although I am a little annoyed alot of apps don't have iPad versions e.g. Facebook.

Games seem cool on it and browsing the net it pretty nice.

What other uses does it have?

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Download an app called AppStart. Thank me later :cool:

3. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

If you are looking for a facebook app download friendly...

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am sorry if I don't understand your question, but if you don't know what an iPad can do, then why did you buy it?

Anyway, you can do lots of things with an iPad. Here are just some of them:
    • Internet
    • Email
    • PIM
    • Finance Apps
    • Games
    • News
    • Book reading
    • Movies
    • Listen to Music
    • Create Music
    • Edit Videos

There is almost an app for everything.

Yes, you are right. It sucks that there is no Facebook App.
    I use an app called Friended.
    It works great and I suggest you buy it.

5. Jinkst macrumors 6502

Jinkst

You bought a $600 item that you don't know what it's use is? Wow...

Get AppStart or just browse through the AppStore for awhile and you'll find plenty of uses.

Or just go through the settings. For instance, I use mine connected to a dock and speakers to stream music from my iMac to play throughout the house... Just an example.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Use it for a few things.

Doc repository. I've got all of my key documents synced with the cloud and my computers via Sugarsync (and Dropbox). This means I can access and edit them anywhere I am.

EBook reader. The iPad is also my primary ebook reader for the many dozens of Amazon Kindle books I've purchased.

Movie player. I rent movies directly from iTunes and take them on the go when I travel.

Tv watching. Where I live, several YouTube-equivalents have apps with all the recent tv shows online. Great for streaming.

Lazy Internet surfer. Nothing beats using the iPad in bed, on the couch, on the toilet, on the train, in the car, etc.

Bookkeeping. I track all of the finances for my business on my iPad using a fantastic app called Easy Books.

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Never thought the lack of an iPad Facebook app was a bad thing. It has a good browser, the regular FB page works quite well.

8. shandyman Suspended

Exactly, you don't need a facebook app when the standard site works so well thru safari. the only thing you can't do is upload photos, which i just do thru the iphone app.

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

-Expensive photo frame

-Largest iPod ever (makes jogging much more fun)

-Tool to never really turn on, just to carry around and look hip and cool

10. shandyman Suspended

lol you came on just to slate the thing?? ok....

lots of people get alot of use out of it. My home PC pretty much just sits as a server now as i do everything on my ipad. the PC just does my downloading and hosts my media. i use the ipad to read books on the train to work, at lunch, or watch tv shows. when i was stuck in hospital for a month it was AMAZING to have it as it kept me entertainined, kept me in touch with friends and family the other side of the country and abroad.

so just cos you don't have a use for it, doesn't mean others can't either.

11. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

12. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I find it funny that people buy one of these and don't know what to do with them.

The nice thing about the iPad is there is no ONE use for it. I know everyone in my family uses it differently. I use it for magazines quite a bit, my wife is a angry birds sort of user, my middle daughter uses it for Netflix, and my son likes to draw on it.

Even with a 10 hour battery, it's pretty drained at the end of a day.

It's a pretty versatile device.

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Never heard of Facely.

It's page in the App Store says it's not produced by or affiliated with Facebook.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

With no push notifications it's a bit useless, I find. Since I got my iPod touch I don't bother with Facebook on my desktop PC. All about push!

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Main use of an iPad? Hmmm....

Only way I know of to answer that is to:

Use one for a year. Keep track of each app you open and how much time you spend using it. At the end of the year, total up all the time spent in each app. The app with the largest time-spent value will be your main use.

Please come back in a year and tell us what you found out!

16. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

My thoughts exactly.:p The iPad just got released yesterday here where I live. His $600 ipad is now selling for $1600 and I'm not kidding.:eek: Scalper prices here right now and meanwhile the iPad1 is selling between $350-$550.:rolleyes:

Are there actually people out of their friggin mind that buy an iPad for $1600!:eek:

17. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I bought mine so I don't feel left out as everyone is getting one! :D

Joking aside I'll be using mine to surf in the lounge or in bed. I usually need to do a lot of research/respond to emails for work but I don't always want to be sitting at my desk or using a laptop.

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

iPad can be the most useful thin you have every owned, or the most worthless piece of tied down/restricted technology every invented.

It's really up to the user to decide.

If you are anywhere near a real computer it makes it harder to justify an iPad as you will find your computer will probably do everything much quicker, must easier, and much better than the iPad can.

If you are on the move, or away from your computer then your iPad will allow you to do some tasks reasonably well.

19. shandyman Suspended

well with push email you have the notificatoins there :p or if you wanna be really picky and disregard that, you can do what i do, have the iPhone version on the iPad set up with push then when you get one pop up just go into the facebook web app icon on the homescreen :p

in my room i use my iPad 95% of the time and my PC is in the same room. i just find using the iPad a MUCH better experience. my PC now just sits as a server of sorts. half the time if i'm not sat at my desk i'll just RDP into the PC to tweak stuff anyway.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I take it then you have very limited needs when it comes to a computer in the home?

To be fair, many people, the majority of the population I'd guess, don't really NEED or are INTERESTED in actually having a computer. They just use it like a TV or a HiFi to do the basics, as has been proven, even on these forums when they post "I've hardly touched my Mac Book Pro since getting my iPad"

At first, this really confused me, till I realised, perhaps a decade or two ago, they would never have dreamed of every owning a computer as they were only for "geeks"

For me, the iPad is slow at web browsing, a pain the the backside to quickly edit posts, copy and paste things from say a web page into a forum link.

Web pages render much slower. It's just a slow experience in general.

Programs I wish to run don't exist, and never will on the iPad.

It's handy to look up the TV listings, take a peek at the web, check email, (though even that does not work as well due to the email clients design) and perhaps play a basic game.

21. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Is it so hard to take a look at who is selling the App in the store? It isn't rocket science really. To answer the question, Facebook hasn't released an app for the iPad. When they do, it is likely the iPhone app will become universal.

22. EdwardMoffet macrumors member

I plan on using it for:

Ebooks/comics
    iMovie
    Garageband
    Internet (email, web browsing, facebook, twitter, news etc.)
    Games
    Writing/productivity tool (mind mapping, note taking, calculator, etc.)
    Movies, Music, TV shows
    Drawing/Art
    Netflix

Pretty much replace my computer.

23. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

AGREED!

And for that matter, I highly recommend -

1. Wall Street Journal app

2. Vanity Fair

3. The New Yorker Magazine app

4. Adobe Ideas

5. Corkulous

6. PaperDesk

Enjoy!

24. shandyman Suspended

well i love browsing on the iPad and it's even better on the iPad 2, it's just as fast, if not faster than my computer. it has more than just basic games, look at NOVA, Back to the Future, etc. i can get all my comics, i can get films and tv stuff. My PC just gets used to download other medai, sync my iPad & iPhone and whatnot. sometimes i will use the computer for stuff, but rarely these days. i use forums on it often and it's really not that hard to edit posts on it or copy and paste once you get used to it. i'm just as quick as i was on a computer. my emails come thru brilliantly, with my shared inbox covering my 4 accounts.

But each to their own, i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm just saying its working brilliantly for me

25. freelance2 macrumors newbie

freelance2

Clearly the best use of an iPad2 is to read and post in forums about people waiting to buy iPad2s.