Got an iPhone 4s, do I need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtthwcmn1, Oct 15, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

After playing with Siri I got an iPhone instead of an iPod touch. I absolutely hate screen protectors as my 3gs I have only used a silicone case. Do I need a screen protector for my iPhone. In 2 years I have only dropped my 3gs 3 times.

2. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

nope, starting with the 4, Apple started using a different glass/coating system. i've never used one on my iPhone 4, and 16 months later, there's not a single scratch on it. just use common sense, and you'll be fine.

3. ACHAMED macrumors member

ACHAMED

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go to apple and buy a power support screen protector they are the best adds from my experience with the iPhone 4 the screen scratches easily

4. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

only takes 1 scratch for you to wish you had put one on. :eek:

5. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Gotta agree...although you'll find that probably >90% of users have a screen protector

6. AaronE macrumors 6502

I never use one. I just like the natural feel of the screen over a plastic protector.

7. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

If you feel a scratch will drive you nuts do it. There are some here who apparently never scratch anything even by mistake. I cracked my 4 and decided to go naked with it to see how well the glass would hold up to scratches. I've got plenty on it now.

8. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

+1

9. tann macrumors 68000

Gonna be honest with you. I have a white 4S and the screen protectors are immensely difficult to fit perfectly on them. you can't tell where you're even applying it. This resulted in me messing up both back ones and 1/2 front ones I bought :p.

Though I'm tempted to take off the front one, I don't think I'll need it. Just be careful and don't put it in a bag full of keys or something lol.

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

i don't think you can buy SP in the stores anymore

11. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I picked up a pack of the cheap $9.99 3-pack screen protectors yesterday at one of the local AT&T stores and so far, I'm impressed with it. I used to use the Power Support anti-glare ones on my 3GS, but I went with the crystal ones on my 4S because I didn't want to ruin the view of the beautiful screen. The cutouts on the cheap ones are perfect and the one around the home button is generous enough (big enough) that you don't have to get it exactly perfect (you've got some wiggle room).

I was intrigued by one of the screen protectors AT&T had, but I'd never heard of it or heard of anyone using it. Apparently, it's reusable...you can actually remove it, wash it with soap and water, and reapply it. There was no way I was going to drop $25 on one screen protector without reading some reviews, though, so I took a pass. :D

12. chanerz macrumors 6502a

I had an extra SGP screen protector on my Iphone 4 and put one for my 4s. Fits perfectly.

13. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

They do carry Power Support protectors in the Apple Stores.

14. elfy macrumors 6502

Not necessarily true. I had mine for a day and got a scratch about a millimetre long right in the middle of the screen. Not noticeable all the time (mostly in bright sunshine) but can be quite annoying when watching videos. I am very careful with my stuff, especially when it's brand new and never put anything else in the same pocket as my phone. Just unlucky I suppose but yeah, I would definitely recommend a screen protector of some sort.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I tend to be fairly careful with my iPhones, but I've owned 3 previous iPhones, never used a screen protector, and never had a single scratch. They are pretty impervious to scratches, although if you toss them in your pocket/bag with keys or something I don't know what would happen (I dedicate a pocket solely for the iPhone at all times, nothing else ever goes in that pocket). Of course scratching and breaking are two different things, iPhone screens will most certainly break, but a case will serve you better there than a screen protector. I wouldn't recommend using one, but it's up to you. Some people like the matte surface screen protectors to reduce glare, but I hate the look of the screen under them and the feel with your fingers is not as good IMO as on the glass.

16. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

17. gniss39 macrumors regular

I should be getting my iPhone in the mail early next week and am still debating if I should put one of the protectors that came with my Incipio Feather case. This is my first iPhone and don't want to scratch the gorgeous screen! Guess ill decide once I get a feel for how I will handle the phone.

You can always take the screen protector off, hopefully without any residue left behind.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

18. meder87 macrumors regular

I put a screen protector on the front and back of my 4S. Back ill never see since i have a case on it. Also my 3GS got scratched up so bad because of cases so this will help. I also feel like it'll help the resale value. Most of the time I can't even tell there's a screen on my phone.

19. wellok macrumors 6502

Screen protectors don't bother me and they don't hurt anything so I always use them. I worry about my earrings scratching the **** out of the screen and I like not even having to think about it.

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

My launch-day iPhone 4 hasn't had a screen protector and I have no scratches on the screen. Really depends on how you use it/how careful and lucky you are too.

21. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If you don't mind the feeling of a plastic screen protector, go for it. I have seen a scratch on a front of an iPhone 4 personally. I'd also worry about the oleophobic coating wearing off.

22. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

Ive got no screen or back protector, just the Aluminum bumper type one from CaseMate. I've dropped my 4 at least 3 times from pocket level to concrete. No damage to the iPhone or screen. Yes, when you look at my 4 with the case on, its obvious its been dropped, but the damage is only to the CaseMate product.

Its been riding in my pocket with change, money, sharpie, and a a lighter for almost a year. No damage to the phone or screen yet.

23. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

on my original and 3GS i had a power-support anti-glare screen protector. on my 4 that i got on launch day i havent put one on. i dont want to lose the clarity of the retina display and so far (knock on wood) its been fine.

24. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Ha, this has made me second-guess my decision not to get one.
    I'd rather do without it since I don't like the feel of screen protectors but I also really do not like the sound of getting scratches. :(

25. elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

YES. I take excellent care of my phones and scratched my iP4 in ONE DAY because of my earring while I was talking. That is *ridiculous*. I just had an AT&T drone apply a phone devil screen protector and he did a perfect job; my phone looks awesome and is protected (well, with the case too!)

Edited to add:
    I have a white iP4S and the guy seriously applied mine perfectly. He said I bought great screen protectors and it was simple for him to apply :)