Got fired today

moargolems

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
Started 3 weeks ago - positive feedback, great colleagues, everything was fine. Today they told they found a replacement for me.

Feels bad man.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Sounds like they found someone who can do your and is willing to do it for less money otherwise it doesn't make sense why they would replace you.

That sucks especially with positive reviews and everything going well.

Best of luck in the job hunt

moargolems

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2011
Finland
I'll hire you.

Rakastan suomalaisia​​, koska ne voivat juoda paljon.

Kippis!
Love you dude.

Sounds like they found someone who can do your and is willing to do it for less money otherwise it doesn't make sense why they would replace you.

That sucks especially with positive reviews and everything going well.

Best of luck in the job hunt
Yeah, I think so too. They only told me that "they're afraid if I'm capable of managing next month's sales". Whatever that meant.

But yeah, thanks guys.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wow thats a shame :(

Honestly you are probably better off though. If thats the best "excuse" management can give you on why you were fired then they're obviously not competent people to work under.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Started 3 weeks ago - positive feedback, great colleagues, everything was fine. Today they told they found a replacement for me.

Feels bad man.
Well my friend, here's hoping you have the last laugh when the new guy they've brought in instead isn't capable of managing next month's sales and the company goes under.

Fazzy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
check the tracking device
Well my friend, here's hoping you have the last laugh when the new guy they've brought in instead isn't capable of managing next month's sales and the company goes under.
Or if the new guy turns out to be an undercover cop who uncovers that the business is just a front for a major crime ring :D

ive watched too many movies, i guess

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I say crack open some of the great Finnish Licorice Vodka and if you're in Helsinki (closer-ish to Riga) go for the Balsam out of the ceramic bottle.

pppsssttt ... don't tell these guys what your unemployment benefits are because you'll lose all sympathy.

unless you were still under probation, and then :(

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012

Feels bad man.
Not too sure about this kind of stuff but arn't there laws against firing/replacing someone without proper reason?

If someone knows more about this please shed some light for our brother here.

blazerdude20

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
Not too sure about this kind of stuff but arn't there laws against firing/replacing someone without proper reason?

Most places have 30 day or more "probation" periods. Any reason, any time they can let you go without a real reason... Besides they can always find a reason.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Most states follow "at-will employment":

At-will employment is a doctrine of American law that defines an employment relationship in which either party can break the relationship with no liability, provided there was no express contract for a definite term governing the employment relationship and that the employer does not belong to a collective bargaining group (i.e., has not recognized a union). Under this legal doctrine:
“any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work.

SVT Amateur

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
Tyler, Texas
Good thing is that if a company is willing to let you go that quick without care then they obviously weren't good enough for you. It probably saved you wasted time, stress, and dissatisfaction from working for a company that seems to not care about its people.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
At least you got 3 weeks. I got the 'this is not the job for you' conversation on day 5. After being out of work for way too long, I thought things were turning around....:(

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011

Feels bad man.
Take a critical look back on your performance, because it clearly was not up to the standards they expected. Sounds like it was so far off they didn't even have the heart to tell you why - they just saw you were not going to be able to deal effectively with the job.

If this area is a career choice, figure out how to improve your skills in this area.

If it was just a job, move on and get another one.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
That sucks man :(

My mom got laid off 2 months ago, so I know where you are coming from. She built up a very large client base, but the company laid her off out of the blue. But keep your head up and apply for as many jobs as possible! That is what she did and she found a job making double what she did at her old place.

Maybe the same can happen to you? :)