iPad Got iPad Air - should I sell my MBA?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macnoobizor, Dec 29, 2013.

1. macnoobizor macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I just got the iPad Air and I am loving it. I only use my MacBook Air for browsing the web and playing itunes music. I don't use it for anything else ever since I graduated university. Should I sell it now that I have my iPad? What would you do in my shoes?

Thanks!

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

if you mean you just got the iPad today, i would see if you use the macbook in the next month or so and if not, sell it

don't sell it now and then end up buying it again

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

In your shoes, I would keep the Air. No telling when you'll need a real computer.

4. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

If that is all that you ever use your MBA for, then it might not be a bad idea selling it for lack of use.

However, I have an 11" MBA, and as portable as my iPad is, there is no way that it could replace my MBA for the things that I use it, including having access to a larger, and properly calibrated screen, for my photography.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Do you have another computer? If yes, I'd sell the MBA, but I definitely wouldn't use an iPad as my only computing device.

6. kathyricks macrumors 6502

As long as you have access to a desktop computer running OSX or Windows then sure you could ditch the MBA and use the iPad for your potable computing needs. Most people need access to the full fledged versions of apps that run only on a OSX or Windows computer.

7. calvol macrumors 6502a

I kept my MBA and returned the Air due to Safari crashing.

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

If you're really not using the MacBook, perhaps it's better to sell it. Macs tend to hold their value pretty well so you should get a good price for it (and a better price now than if you wait). If you need a full computer later, then that money can contribute towards a more up to date machine.

9. frogger2020 macrumors regular

You do realize that Safari crashing is due to software? Reports on iOS 7.1 show that even the tab reloading is much reduced.

10. Skika macrumors 68030

I would think that the iPad(at least the fullsized retina ones) has a much nicer screen overall, including ppi and colour gamut than the macbook air whiich isnt even IPS.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a meaningless question. I'd still find my Macbook useful so what I'd do isn't relevant. Decide based on your specific needs/wants.

12. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Well, from your explanation of your use cases with the iPad Air... then perhaps you should go ahead and sell the MBA.

But first you look at your set up before moving forward with a decision. Currently, I have a Mac Mini and I don't have a laptop. I use my iPad as a replacement for a laptop... although I use my Mac for more intensive productivity.

I wouldn't replace the MBA if that's your only heavy computing use.

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Get a refund from the University. :)

I'm not trying to be a total dick but shouldn't you know what you need and what you don't need?

14. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

15. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

I was saying yes.. But sometimes you want a computer..
    I would keep em both..

16. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Don't ever sell the macbook. You will need it sooner rather than later.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you do any deeper music organizing like changing the tags you'll need a computer.

18. calvol macrumors 6502a

Not taking the chance on Apple to figure it out, I'll wait till the next Air, put my $500 in the bank and let it earn interest, and use my MBA till then.

19. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

No. You need one base machine to keep your ipad backups on at least. Personally when I got my ipad1 I gave my daughter my MacBook and bought the Mac Mini as the base machine.

20. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

iPads aren't even laptop replacements :eek: You will need a real computer, especially for work??

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't use it, sell it. If you need one in the future, just buy another.

22. Zxxv macrumors 68040

If you don't need a computer sell it. iPads are designed to do the tasks that some people only need. It's like apple looked at what people do on laptops and said hmm they don't need all the other stuff a fully fledged os does. They put their findings into iPad. Are you one of those target people?

Keep the MacBook Air for a while. Use only your iPad. See how you feel in two weeks, once the honey moon period is over.

23. st1ngo macrumors member

The MBA screen is a very long way from "properly calibrated"

Try a MBP with retina and you start to get close !

24. Macalicious2011 macrumors member

The iPad is more of a companion device than it is a laptop replace. During the first few days and weeks you would absolutely love and adore it. For 85% of your computing needs it gets the job done, but the remaining 15% it's incapable of full-filling due to limitations in uploading files, accepting devices via USB and primitive multi-tasking.

25. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I got myself an ipad Air a few weeks ago myself and I still use my Laptop simpy because typing is much easier on my laptop vs my ipad and while I could buy a keyboard I still prefer the 17 inch screen on my laptop. Also I probably wont get much for my laptop considering I paid $400 including tax on it last year and I might get $100 -$150 for it?

While you have a MBA and they retain there value much better the PC laptops you won't get your full investment so not enough of a reason to sell it because there will probably be times where you would want it vs the ipad