Got milk behind LCD screen of Black Macbook Core 2 Duo, help please!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mollicoolz, May 29, 2009.

1. mollicoolz macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I accidentally spilt milk on my black macbook core 2 duo (13 inch). I immediately turned it upside down to get it off my keyboard, but then I think it seeped behind by lcd screen. This happened about 10 days ago. I turned off the laptop for about a day and a half, but have been using it since hoping it would go away.. but it hasn't yet. The picture I attached is the current situation. It improved a bit in the first three days but since then nothing has changed.
    The laptop is under a year old, but Applecare doesnt cover this damage. The guy at the store said it probably needs some cleaning, he would need about 2 hrs and the labor charge is $99/hr.
    It was a terrible mistake, but I do not want to pay that much.. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

www.ifixit.com

They great tutorials how to take the screen off and do the cleaning.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

No use crying over spilled milk ;)

Ba-dum-bsssshh

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I guess somebody had to say it. :D

Got milk?

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

http://instantrimshot.com/

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thank you for that gem of a site! RIM SHOTS FOR EVERYO...........
    I mean......
    Comedic symbals for everyone!
    :eek:

7. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

You'll want to get it cleaned out soon, the heat from the machine will make it go mouldy and then even when it's clean it'll stink to the heavens.

Sorry to say that... but even in the pictures it already looks blotchy like its starting to moulder...

Good luck! :)

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Just pay the money to have it cleaned. I wouldn't remove the display myself, and I've been inside my MacBook.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

My guess?

You have to take apart the LCD itself and put it back together, which most likely involves breaking the LCD. The aluminum frame that keeps it together will have to be bent back.

Anyone who knows how to do this without killing the LCD will probably charge more to do it than someone who just replaces the screen(which is why I just replace the screen). Just getting the backlights off is annoying enough, but opening the whole thing gives a very high likelihood that it won't go back together properly.

I would do it as soon as possible, trust me when I say it is going to smell like trash very very soon.

10. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

11. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

WTH???

I would get it repaired/cleaned at the shop. And I am also one of those who normally take care of it myself. But it really doesn't look good.

12. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

For those in the market, Best Buy black tie coverage - does cover accidents and spills and is cheaper than apple care.

So, if you buy from Best Buy ... also if you don't use it you then get triple value of your rewards points.

13. eman macrumors 6502a

Order a new screen from greedbay (ebay) and replace the screen yourself. I don't think cleaning the screen is going to help; the cloudiness could fade more with time. You could pop off the screen bezel and do some light cleaning inside the toplid. You can find new LCD screens on ebay for $50 - $100. This is a DIY project.

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Really?

$200? Replacing the screen is 4-5x that. Just pay the money.

15. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Replacing the screen is $70 if you do it yourself and $170-$350 to have someone else to do it. It's only 4-5x over $200 if you have Apple do it, which makes no sense.