Got my bumpers today - white and orange - pics

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by james92se, Jun 28, 2010.

1. james92se macrumors 6502a

The white one feels a bit "looser" than the orange one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was really excited to get these, but after getting them, I'm kind of "meh" about them.

They should have made the sides MUCH more rigid. They move/separate from the phone incredibly easy and contribute to a general "loose" feeling. :rolleyes:

*edit* Also, let me add - one reason I wanted the bumpers was to hopefully protect the stainless steel from scratches. I don't have reception issues so I don't care about that. But, the bumpers are definitely "loose" enough so as to allow dirt/debris to get in between the bumper and phone and scratch it all up. Kind of like those cheapo silicone covers on the older iphones that scratched up the back due to dirt/debris.

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I like the white! Ice cream sandwich. :D

I wonder if blasting them with a hairdryer would make them more snug... :confused:

3. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

same here , mine has play. i wonder if in and out of the pocket will soon enough make these bumpers stretch to much.

4. ducktales macrumors regular

5. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Holding the phone in this position and using your index finger to push the sleep/power button makes the "looseness" most noticeable. You can feel the whole side of the bumper move up along/with your thumb. Really annoying. It's probably not noticeable enough for most people to even notice or care, but it sure bugs me

[​IMG]

6. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Thanks - that's where mine has the play too. I guess it's all of them.

7. agoat macrumors regular

Mine feel really snug and fit. Not sure what wrong with your, should try to reapply it. When I pressed against the side it really fit. Not sure how to describe it. However, if by loose you mean like if u pull the side out and yeah it does feel loose. But when using like this, not sure why you would want to pull the side

8. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, no, it's definitely applied properly. I mean, you can't mess that up.

The bumpers should have been made slightly smaller, IMO. This would have ensured that even over time the fit wouldn't become loose due to wear/use/etc.

I mean, I can grip the top corner and bottom corner on either side and squeeze simultaneously, and it will bow that whole side out. That means the bumper is just plain too big...

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I sold my bumper because it had too much wiggle room. Seemed like every time I picked up the phone, I could feel the bumper shift, mostly in the corners.

10. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I really think the colored bumpers are on the same level as a man purse.

11. princesspale macrumors newbie

As in, incredibly stylish? makes sense to use one? can add a touch of personalization?
    :p

12. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey, I wear pink shirts and am perfectly confident in my heterosexuality :p

I just think the "naked" iPhone 4 is pretty austere looking. It really kind of looks like some prototype phone rather than a finished/elegant phone. The bumpers give it some style

13. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Do you think using the side skins (like those that come from Wrapsol) would add enough padding to the phones dimensions to make the bumper fit more snugly? Maybe just use the top and bottom skins?

My bumper came today- and should get my orig Wrapsol skins tomorrow. So I’ll be able to test it for myself. Although, who knows, I may get luck and get a bumper that fits snuggly out of the box.

14. bigstick05 macrumors newbie

bigstick05

15. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, that might work. I'm not sure how thick the wrapsol material is, but I saw a link in another thread to some vinyl colored wraps (something like 3 different colors for $9), and putting on a couple layers of that might help quite a bit. There's probably a good few mm's of "play" so the material would need to be relatively thick

16. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, now that I think about it, you could wrap the antenna band of the phone itself with some Wrapsol type material, and also "stuff" the inside section of the bumper with something as well.

I bet you could line the insides of the two side sections of the bumper with some really thin cardboard (or maybe a couple "sheets" of paper bag type material), and between that and the wrap on the antenna band, I'd bet you could get all the play out.

I may try this after work tonight

17. bouldermac macrumors member

I got my black bumper this weekend.

I noticed a little play once I put it on. Since than it seems to be pretty snug.

Snug enough to make it a pain in the azz to take off to put in my charger.

I have a green one coming in 2-3 weeks, guess I'll see how that one is...

18. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

How long dis it take to snug up?

19. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Got my orange today and the pics don't do the color "justice"...OMG is it ORANGE! Day-glo orange is more like it. Wow.

20. elephunkman macrumors 65816

21. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

I got my black one today and it's definitely not a quality product, or not what I was hoping for, it bows in on the sides and deforms depending how you hold it and has play like you mentioned, and doesn't work with the dock either, pretty unhappy, returning it.

22. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. I can't believe I paid $30 a piece for these. I had a gift card though so I'm not really out anything, though, but still..

These should have been priced at about $10 rather than $30 :rolleyes:

I'm going to try tonight to "shim" mine. If I can do that then I'll be happy

23. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I like the white bumper. Looks pretty cool.

24. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Eh, in my mind the product is defective and maybe we were mislead with whatever those pictures were of it fitting in the dock, but still, this is otherwise a poorly made case with it's play on the sides and otherwise poor fit..

25. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

After looking at it some more, I think a major reason for the play is the inexplicable rubber section that surrounds the audio jack hole. I don't know why they made that part all rubber and stopped the hard plastic center section here.

That little bit of rubber allows the whole case to flex. Apple should have let the harder plastic center section run continuously around the perimeter. I suppose that rubber bit acts as a flex section similar to the flex section on automobile exhausts, but I'm fairly confident the bumper would still go on and off without it.

Poor job by Apple..