Got my faulty iphone right after purchase. NEED solutions! plz :(

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by milkywayne, Nov 20, 2009.

1. milkywayne macrumors newbie

Just bought my new iphone 3GS 16G this afternoon at an apple store in UK.

the pay as your go version which cost me £450

When trying to install the screen protecter back home, I find the same old 'dust in the screen' problem has appeared on my iphone.

Unless this time there is more than dust, I notice a piece of white string along the edge of the screen, like some sort of hair? Sure it is inside the screen, so that no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get it off.

I am thinking about go to apple store tomorrow to get a replacement.

However, rumors indicate that most likely I will get a refurbished one.

You might say that the refurbished iphone is the same as new one, but to me, replace my newly bought iphone with an refurbished one is highly unacceptable. I have not even used it!

Otherwise, can i return my iphone? Will Apple charge me any 'openbox' fee?
    (without open it, how do i know it is faulty!)

Many Thanks !

2. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Where did you buy it from? In the US, they will replace it with a new one, box and all, as long as you return it within 14 days. Just go to the place where you bought it with the box and all and see what they can do for you.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just go to an Apple Store and tell them its defective because of X reason. They'll look into it and swap it if necessary.

4. milkywayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

This is the answer which truly comfort me :D

I bought it at an apple store in Exeter, UK. I wish they follow the same policy as in US.

However, there are sayings (sorry that read too many rumors tonight) about once you walk out of the apple store, the only option you get is to follow the standard replacement procedure and receive a refurbished one.

Hope the Apple Genius will not do this to me tomorrow. :(

5. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

No, they should be able to process it as a standard return or something like that. I'm 99% sure you will be ok.

Good luck :)

6. lollicup macrumors regular

read your contract

it says they can replace your iPhone with a new or refurbished one

refurbished and new phones are 100% identical and carry the same warranty as the original iPhone

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

sure, new and refurbs are pretty much the same phone but to OP its not the same. I would be little ticked too if i was in OP's shoe. I would want a new phone as well.

You have 14 day return policy so I dont think you should worry at all. Just tell them that your phone is day old and you want a new phone. Dont take no for an answer.

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I know you may be hesitant to replace your new iPhone with a refurbished, but may I recommend that you do this? When you purchase a new iPhone you get an iPhone directly from the factory ( Foxconn ) in China. If you get a refurbished from Apple ( which is completely different than getting a refurbished from your carrier ) you will get an iPhone that initially had a problem, was sent back to Apple where an Apple employee ( not a manufacturing contractor ) will thoroughly examine it and make sure it is up to Apple's standards.

Basically, when you buy a new iPhone you are only guaranteed that the iPhone will be up to the manufactures standards. When you get a refurbished from Apple you will get an iPhone that holds up to Apple themselves standards ( which are much higher, may I add. )

9. milkywayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, guys.

Just back from the Apple Store.

It took me almost an hour to wait but finally I got a brand new one in box.

Thanks to you all!!!

Just one thing I need to mention: the new swap phone was produced in week 37 and have an firmware of 3.0.1 while the defective one I bought yesterday was produce in week 42. Pretty strange, right?

Anyway, I am pleased and satisfied with Apple's customer service. It's glad to be an Apple fan.:D

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

It's nothing exceptional on Apple's part. It's a little annoying on this forum the way people get so over excited when Apple exchange a product that's faulty, I mean ... you are within your rights, especially with a product that you found out is faulty when you got home from buying it.

If you bought an Xbox 360 from GameStation, took it home, and it refused to load DVD's, would you expect GameStation to give you a pre-owned/refurbished one? Exactly, you'd expect a straight replacement.

If you'd had it for 6 months and it developed a fault, then you're likely to get a refurb (in both the case of the iPhone or the Xbox example), but returning within 24 hours of having bought it, I'd be damn sure I want a brand new replacement because that's my entitlement.

When I bought my PAYG iPhone in September from the Glasgow store, I got a 2.2 firmware version (talk about old stock eh?), but unfortunately the thin black "seal" between the glass and the chrome trim had an imperfection that looked like part of it was rotten away.

Having shelled out £340 for an iPhone 3G, I wasn't prepared to settle for an imperfect device, so I turned around and went back to the store that I'd left 30 minutes earlier. I wasn't as much as impressed with Apple's "amazing customer service", I was more miffed I had to spend an extra hour in the City Centre since my wife was waiting on me getting home so we could leave for our weekend break!

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

There's absolutely no difference between a refurbished iPhone and a new iPhone. I actually prefer refurbished.

I returned 4 iPhones when I got my iPhone 3G. The 4th one was perfect and it was refurbished.

So I'd say, refurbished products can still have the same problems as new products and you still get the warranty, so what's the difference?

12. lollicup macrumors regular

yup

but some people are just anal about it... not sure why.. false self of entitlement i guess .. or it could be the two year contract thing

13. MasterDev macrumors 65816

It's all about the Shiny box and the Stickers included :D

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

In the UK, you are entitled to either a replacement (or repair) or your money back if the product is found to be faulty in the first 30 days after purchase. If they had refused to give you a brand new one you could have just had your money back and just bought another one.

Like you found, most retailers will just swap a faulty item for a brand new replacement.

15. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

My refurbished iPhone 3G's glass is flush at the bottom, and raised sharply on the edges everywhere else. This came from the Apple Store. My neighbor's white 3G and 3GS are perfect and have never had an issue.