Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I baby my Apple Watch S2 more than any Apple device I've owned. I have consistently worn long sleeves since I got it a couple months ago so it's always covered. One morning I woke up and noticed this ugly scratch in the lower left corner(I wear it to bed to monitor my sleep and heart rate). I have no recollection of how it got there. Perhaps I am sleepwalking at night and smacking my watch against stuff. Seeing this, put me in a really nasty mood the entire day. This is the first scratch I've ever gotten on any of my electronic devices. It could be worse.... the scratch could have been across the center of the face. A screen protector is now on it's way from Amazon.

FullSizeRender.jpg

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Wow. That is crazy. I have smaller and less severe scratches on my Gen 1/S0 after 18 months of doing nothing to protect it. I wonder what you could have hit with it? You would sure think you would recall something like that wouldn't you? Really odd and unfortunate :(

Reactions: LaurieAnn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I baby my Apple Watch S2 more than any Apple device I've owned. I have consistently worn long sleeves since I got it a couple months ago so it's always covered. One morning I woke up and noticed this ugly scratch in the lower left corner(I wear it to bed to monitor my sleep and heart rate). I have no recollection of how it got there. Perhaps I am sleepwalking at night and smacking my watch against stuff. Seeing this, put me in a really nasty mood the entire day. This is the first scratch I've ever gotten on any of my electronic devices. It could be worse.... the scratch could have been across the center of the face. A screen protector is now on it's way from Amazon.

View attachment 695401

Sorry to see your damaged watch. The Ion-X Glass on the Apple Watch is the same glass used on the iPhone. That said, it is fairly durable, but given the circumstances and the right surface area, It can scratch as you can see.

You're doing the right thing by getting a screen protector to prevent any further damage. And I'm certainly not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase, but that's why I like the stainless watch with the Sapphire display. Although the price point is significantly steep, I feel the Sapphire really prevents scratches or issues with inadvertent accidents.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I think you can have it buffed out. Take it to a jeweler. I got a scratch on the face of my Rolex. They buffed it out no problem.
This would not work for the OP. She as an aluminum :apple:Watch that has a glass crystal. If she had the SS :apple:Watch with a sapphire crystal she could have this done. Jewelers use a buffing wheel with an abrasive (similar to diamond dust) polish to polish sapphire. This would damage glass. Here are some ideas to try.

http://mashable.com/2014/06/28/phone-screen-scratches/#_rYcezWEdaqV

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008

View attachment 695401

Do you wear a ring on the opposite hand? Maybe that could have scratched it. If you have AppleCare maybe you could have it fixed or replaced.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Actually her Watch face CAN be buffed out. A jeweler that knows what he is doing can clean that up.

I agree that this is not impossible, but OP should try some of the methods suggested in @Julien's link. Those are basically soft abrasives, which is exactly what a good jeweler would use on a glass screen. They may not entirely get rid of the scratch (since it looks deep in the pic), but they will help.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
How many of those solutions in Julien's link are for removing scratches from the body of the device vs the display? Many of those seem like they would be a risk to scuff the display or remove coatings. I am not sure I would feel comfortable trying the majority of them on my displays.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
After much thought, I suspect the scratch came from playing with my dog who gets pretty hyper. She has really sharp claws. Unfortunately I didn't keep track of my purchase and I'm beyond the 60 days from date of purchase to be eligible for Apple Care. I got the watch on Jan 27th. Lesson learned. I also read a lot of forum discussions from various sites that Apple Care does NOT cover accidental damage like scratches. I've read people getting quotes from $199 to $269 to fix the screen.

Isn't there some protective anti oil/fingerprint coating on the glass? Maybe I just scratched that and the glass is OK. I may try the toothpaste trick if it doesn't damage the coating. If that doesn't work, I'll just slap a screen protector on it and hope it hides the scratch.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After much thought, I suspect the scratch came from playing with my dog who gets pretty hyper. She has really sharp claws. Unfortunately I didn't keep track of my purchase and I'm beyond the 60 days from date of purchase to be eligible for Apple Care. I got the watch on Jan 27th. Lesson learned. I also read a lot of forum discussions from various sites that Apple Care does NOT cover accidental damage like scratches. I've read people getting quotes from $199 to $269 to fix the screen.

Isn't there some protective anti oil/fingerprint coating on the glass? Maybe I just scratched that and the glass is OK. I may try the toothpaste trick if it doesn't damage the coating. If that doesn't work, I'll just slap a screen protector on it and hope it hides the scratch.

Apple does not cover cosmetic damage. And the coating on the Apple Watch display is the Olephobic coating. It acts as a protectant from minor abrasions and fingerprints. It does eventually wear off.

Also, toothpaste might remove some of the scratch off of the glass, but being your scratch looks fairly deep, I think it's likely it will still remain. And also in my opinion, no jeweler will be able to remove a scratch of that magnitude on the display of your watch, being it's glass and not Sapphire.

Glass has different consistencies than sapphire does when it's scratched and it's very difficult to remove, if at all, when the display is damaged such as yours.

I agree with the screen protector. Good luck with and let us know how it goes.

alex.houston

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2016
Indiana
Depending on your method of payment, you may have purchase protection through your credit card. American Express, for example gives you 90 days of protection against theft and accidental damage

Definitely worth checking if credit card used for purchasing has some automatic purchase protection.

From my experience trying unsuccessfully to take clear photographs of surface scratches on glass, this might not be a scratch, but possibly a crack. Be careful if it starts getting longer or if there is any distortion around it when the display is on.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada

View attachment 695401
Exchange it, do you have apple care?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Congrats on your first scratch! Now you don't have to baby it so much and can stop worrying about it.

Are you sure it's a gouge in the glass and not material rubbed off of your dog's claws? No fingernail, animal's or human's, is harder than glass (that I know of).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Congrats on your first scratch! Now you don't have to baby it so much and can stop worrying about it.

Are you sure it's a gouge in the glass and not material rubbed off of your dog's claws? No fingernail, animal's or human's, is harder than glass (that I know of).

It's not so much that the OP is worrying about the scratch as she is mystified how the scratch happened initially, then realized it subsequently happened from Her Dog after the fact.

And, I have read other posts where a Cats/Dogs nail had scratched the Ion-Glass on the Sport Watch with pictures attached. Perhaps with debris embedded into the nail could have caused the scratch, force, angle of the nail, etc . A lot of variables to consider. And my opinion, I was not impressed with the Ion-X Glass durability when I did own my Sport Watch.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011

I worked pretty hard trying to buff it with a microfiber cloth and my fingernail under the cloth. It didn't budge. It's definitely a scratch. Luckily I don't think it's a crack. You're right. No more stress about worrying about getting a scratch.
[doublepost=1491867388][/doublepost]
IMG_3803.JPG
Well I just applied the Amorsuit like 5 minutes ago. I think it hid the scratch fairly well. I'm going to not wear it until tomorrow morning to make sure the Armorsuit has enough time to adhere strongly.

Last edited:

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
I worked pretty hard trying to buff it with a microfiber cloth and my fingernail under the cloth. It didn't budge. It's definitely a scratch. Luckily I don't think it's a crack. You're right. No more stress about worrying about getting a scratch.
[doublepost=1491867388][/doublepost] View attachment 695663 Well I just applied the Amorsuit like 5 minutes ago. I think it hid the scratch fairly well. I'm going to not wear it until tomorrow morning to make sure the Armorsuit has enough time to adhere strongly.

That Armorsuit appears to have worked great! I will remember that if I ever scratch mine.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well I just applied the Amorsuit like 5 minutes ago. I think it hid the scratch fairly well. I'm going to not wear it until tomorrow morning to make sure the Armorsuit has enough time to adhere strongly.

The screen Protector made a huge difference. I can barely even see the scratch at all.

Denpech

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2016
Russia, Saint Petersburg
[doublepost=1491867388][/doublepost] View attachment 695663 Well I just applied the Amorsuit like 5 minutes ago. I think it hid the scratch fairly well. I'm going to not wear it until tomorrow morning to make sure the Armorsuit has enough time to adhere strongly.
Where it can be bought???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.