Got my iMac Retina from the Apple Store today!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by premierjg, Oct 21, 2014.

1. premierjg macrumors member

Got the base model from the Apple Store today. Going to upgrade the ram with crucial. Didn't really need any other upgrades as I don't do any crazy work with it.

I had bought a late 2013 about 10 days before the release so my timing was lucky that I could exchange it.

Screen is amazing, almost unable to describe

Running carbon copy cloner right now...

Attached Files:

2. esphil macrumors member

Very nice congrats! I have to see it in person before I decide. Its really just a screen for me, since the performance in my current iMac 27" for my needs.

3. qweenapps macrumors member

I see dead pixels ....
    Just kidding :D best of luck with it!

P.S. I see Windows 7 on your desktop hide it quickly! :p

A month ago I got also late 2013 but a 21', that would fit for me for a few years (I ordered with 16 gigs ram is hard to replace the 21'). The 27' is quite easy.

4. premierjg thread starter macrumors member

Yep - have to use windows 7 for some internet explorer only websites that I use for work. I am hoping the ram upgrade is easy, seems like you just open the door and pop it in.

5. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Looks great even though we can't see the Retina effect. I suppose you cloned your old Mac rather than nuke and paved a new one?

6. premierjg thread starter macrumors member

Cloned my old mac. Not sure what a nuke or paving a new one is.

7. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

I have to use Windows 7 (via Parallels) all day for work. So would love if you could review how well it runs on the 5K screen. Does it work okay ?

8. misho73 macrumors member

Congrats.... I am following you into this. Purchased the non retina at the beginning of the month and managed to do the return and waiting for my 5K in the way. one question since I am new to mac. is doing the clone transfer is the best way to transfer my files from the current mac to the new one? if so does the clone app transfer only files and data or OS as well? I want to keep the Yosemite on the new one as it's a fresh installation not an upgrade like the one I have on my current imac.

9. premierjg thread starter macrumors member

I am definitely not an expert, but I think it would clone the OS as well. I downloaded Yosemite on my old machine, did a backup and then cloned from that backup so that it would be the same OS.

10. premierjg thread starter macrumors member

So far so good. The window with windows in it is really small due to the higher resolution. I just stretched it out and it looks pretty good. Seems to be completely functional.

11. Roller macrumors 68020

The great thing about the Retina iMac is that you can't see dead pixels!

12. fastlanephil, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I tried using CCC when I upgraded from my 24” 2009 to my current 2011 27” iMac and had issues. I called Apple support and they said that there were differences in the system software between what the two iMacs needed, even running the same version of OSX so they remotely upgraded the OS to the correct variant of OSX for my new iMac.

CCC might work fine for you, but if not it’s probably an easy fix.

Here’s some info about this from the CCC site.

http://help.bombich.com/kb/troubleshooting/can-i-back-up-one-computer-and-use-the-clone-to-restore-another-computer

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

++ Do not use CCC for cloning into a different Mac, only to the same Macs.

You'd want to keep the clean install on newer Macs and reinstall everything properly.

14. Tysusmed macrumors member

Congrats - looks awesome! Hopefully you'll write a follow-up describing how the performance is.

15. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

Nuke and pave is a term meaning format and reinstall :)

16. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

What software did you use to clone your old iMac?

I am going to probably buy this new iMac shortly to replace my 2012 model.

I want to clone it as well, but not certain what the best software is to do the clone.

BTW, out of curiosity...

Is the 5K display as awesome as one would expect it to be?

Are you really amazed by it? Night and day difference over the older iMac?

17. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

If you guys don't recommend cloning...

Doesn't new setups have an IMPORT feature that you can just import programs from a backup....say, used from something like SuperDuper?

18. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Not tried it recently, but surely you can still 'migrate' from the old Mac to the new Mac?

19. bad1550 macrumors regular

I set up mine using time machine backup and brought over everything from my older iMac

20. Madasafish110 macrumors newbie

I bought a iMac 27" 3.5ghz i7 with fusion drive and 16 gig ram and GeForce gtx 780m 4096mb.

I'm a bit upset as I only had it about six weeks. I always seem to get short changed and they upgrade the models.

I would have liked that 5 k screen.

But I think I have a decent machine. Screen still looks good.

But envy you all who have ordered the retina model

Kev

21. fathergll macrumors 6502a

I don't understand. You're a member of Macrumors...did you not know that there was a good chance of a new retina imac 6 weeks ago?

22. premierjg thread starter macrumors member

The display is really amazing. I have no need for a machine this good, but wanted to have the latest model. When I got to see it at the store it was the easiest decision to make. Blows away the 2013 in terms of display.

23. Madasafish110 macrumors newbie

In fact no. I read rumours. But thought it would be next year lol. It's just I am off work at moment and have more time on my hands to read this forums.

24. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

How is your display? Any color consistency issues?