Got my iMac today!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rangerdanger, Jun 28, 2008.

1. rangerdanger macrumors member

Well, today I broke the bank buying my 24in iMac!!! I ended up getting the high end model after discussing with the Apple personal shopper, and after I mentioned playing some games and later this year getting into graphic design, he said the higher end one would be better, due to the better graphics card. I also wanted a Mac that broke 3Ghz!! And let me tell you, this thing is FAST!!! I also love the 24in screen!!!

I plan on doing a full review on my website that will be up soon using iLife and .Mac. Also got the IPOD touch using Mom's education discount, so all in all, it has turned out to be a great day!!! I plan on posting some pics in the Mac set-up thread and under 18 thread later on. Still have to set the printer and everything up.

Oh, by the way. I'm 15 (16 in 4 months) and I payed for this iMac and everything with it myself using 2 years of saved cash and hard work with my family's business. And let me say again, it was worth every penny!!! Review soon to come!!

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Congrats, that's one (two ;)) nice machine.

Very impressive purchase for a 15 year old...

3. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

congrats on the purchase and buying it yourself. I remember when I was 15 and payed for my own powerbook. Greatest feeling in the world :p

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

5. hood macrumors member

Congrats on the new iMac and the hard work you have put in to earn the machine.

6. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. One question though. I was looking at the naviagation bar on my screen, and I can't seem to find iWeb. Any ideas why?? Thanks!!

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It should be in your Applications folder, I would recommend adding that folder to your dock for easy access.

8. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Right after I posted this, I remembered it and sure enough, there it was!! Thanks!!

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Congratulations on the purchase! That is quite the fast computer you bought there!

Enjoy it and use it well for years to come.

[BTW it's iPod touch and not IPOD touch.]

10. cjtinkle macrumors newbie

Congratulations and how wonderful that you saved up and bought it yourself, way to go!

11. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

12. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Congrats on the purchase first and foremost, also spotlight is your best friend ;)

ChrisN

13. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Congrats! :)

Congratulations!
    I must say I envy you though.
    I myself just turned 15 this month and also this month, I decided to save the money myself for the same system though with 1TB of storage and 4gb of RAM.
    I'm glad that someone else my age is living proof that it can be done. Ha.

I have about $350 right now.
    So, by January, I see myself rocking a high end Mac.

Though, by that time, I'm hoping there will be something new out at Apple that will beat the iMac.

I guess we'll see.
    :)

14. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I bought my first imac when I was 15 as well from saved money from working. You won't regret the purchase. Congrats!:D

15. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! I tried posting the pics with photo-bucket, but it didn't work out at all. So know, I'm going to post them up on my website and see how it goes. Anyways, here's the link to my website I created using my new iMac and iWeb. Hope this works!!

http://web.mac.com/rangerdanger/Site/Welcome.html

Let me know what you think or if there is anything I should add!

EDIT: Alright, pics are up! Let me know what you think of my set-up! Also, just ignore the paint on the walls. That was there before my iMac, and I'm moving rooms soon, so the white is a primer o go over my old color. My new room is going to be bigger and I'll have way more room, plus a new printer table that matches my desk color!

16. G-Baby macrumors newbie

congrats I too was like you six months ago although I decided to go for the macbook air. What made you decided to get a desktop instead of a laptop though?

17. idyll macrumors 6502

I love that new Mac smell. Beats the new car smell.

18. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Congrats! Very mature of you to work hard and save up. That kind of attitude and work ethic will get you very far in life.

And the new mac smell is definitely an enjoyable one. Anyone who has not received a new mac just doesn't understand. :)

19. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

I read through your whole website (including the review start to finish). Good work on getting the iMac.

20. sargent bannana macrumors member

im 15 too

is this your first mac?
    if it is do you like it?
    is it easy to use?
    that why i havent gotten a mac yet decideing over that fact that i will like the os as every one claims or it just might be that i am too attached to windows and how easy windows is for me.
    and good job saving up i too saved up but dont know if i should deck it all out on a mac book and then not like it too much...

21. Jimmizilla macrumors newbie

Oh yea, me too. I don't know why, but its really good. My room still smells like it and I got my MBP a week ago.

Anwyays, congrats on the purchase!

22. rangerdanger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone!! I too loved that new Mac smell!! Can still smell it in my room here!!

As far as getting the desktop over the laptop, my Mom and I discussed since I do most of my school work and other work at home, in my room, we said I should get the desktop now, since I get more for my money, and wait 3 or 4 years till I start college to get a laptop, seeing how fast things can change in the tech world in 3 years.

And yes, this is my first Mac. I love it!!! The OS is way easier than Windows!!! For me, it's just way easier to use!! Now it seems like after only two days with a Mac, every-time I do something on my Mom's or little bro's windows PC's, I just seem lost. Leopard is way easier!!

23. Mjmar macrumors 65816

ranger, I have a question for you. What is the depth in inches of the desk that you're using. I too want to purchase an iMac, but I'm not to sure that it will fit on the desk thats in my room. If it doesn't I think i'll get a Macbook instead. Thank you.

24. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Way to go Son, Your parents must be VERY impressed, I am! Let me know when you web site is up, I WANT to read the review. Good job Rangerdanger!:D

Just saw the link to your site, headed there now
    Saw it all, good job Adrian,btw I am a dog lover too, 3 Goldens and one BlacK Lab
    Smart kid!

25. kabunaru Guest