Got my MDD!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by adcx64, Nov 14, 2011.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Hey guys. Today I got my MDD in the mail, and this thing is FAST.

Specs:
    Dual 1.25GHz 7455B G4's
    2GB RAM
    Radeon 9000 Pro video card
    Wimpy 40GB HD (upgraded soon)
    Leopard 10.5.8

[​IMG]

2. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Sweet! One of my favorite computers of all time. You'll notice a difference when you upgrade that HD too.

3. hansolo669 macrumors regular

welcome to G4 paradise ;)
    seriously MDD's are great computers, and you can stuff 6 HDD's in their :eek:(if you sacrifice your optical drives :p )

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Yes MDD's are great machines, except for the fan noise. :D

5. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I plan on slowly adding storage and upgrades to this machine over time. In a few months this will be even more of a beast of a computer!

And Nameci, I was worried about this too, but the machine is actually pretty quiet. I was surprised. Didn't you use this as a main machine before it died (if I recall)?

6. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Heh. Yeah. You can probably thank the previous owner for that. You become highly motivated to start researching possible fan replacements after about four hours of use.

7. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Hahahahahaha I'll update you tomorrow if my eardrums are still intact!

8. WGoins88, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

WGoins88 macrumors regular

My original fan drove me NUTS. It was the 3 blade Papst one. I replaced it with a 7 blade fan that is MUCH quieter. Oh, and it runs cooler. I have a post on here a while back showing the temperature differences. That, and the MDD runs cooler with the lighter "thin" finned heatsink rather than the heavy solid aluminum one.

EDIT - Here's the post -

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1117605&highlight=

It was a Delta fan I had, not a Papst.. I forgot that the early MDD had the Papst. And the fan I used was a Ultra brand one.

9. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

This is a 2003 model MDD, so hopefully the fans won't be too loud for me.

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Glad you got it so quick and that you're happy with it. Once you get SATA and a CI capable card it will be very slick. The great thing about towers is how much more upgraded they can be. It's a true thrill to buy new parts and watch your system grow faster and more capable.

Re: Fans
    These are the B variation of the 7455 chip so that means this is the final MDD series. The stock fans are much quieter in the 2003 MDD's. The first MDD is the loudest by far and the FW800 model isn't much better. I personally don't mind fan noise at all. Background noise helps drown out external noises.

11. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

thanks Zen I can't wait to upgrade this beast to its fullest!

Pic of it open. The red LED near the videocard is normal right?

Attached Files:

12. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Yup, it's normal. Just don't leave the door open too long.

BTW, what power supply do you have? The Samsungs are flaky, and the 360w ACBel will eventually die. Hopefully it was replaced with the much better 400w ACBel.

13. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

It has the 360W AcBel. Hope it lasts long enough!

14. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Every PowerMac G3 or G4 I have ever owned or worked on has red lights on the board. It doesn't mean red like a car warning light :) They are on when the computer is on and are no part of any problem.

15. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I see, thanks!

16. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Using a decent voltage regulator can help you get the most out of any PSU in terms of longevity. The slight spikes and drops in power that go unseen to most besides the odd screen flicker slowly kill whatever you have plugged in. Surge protection is only against a giant spike that would kill everything in one go. Without voltage regulation (or conditioning as some call it) your hardware take at least a few kidney shots each day. Mine makes a slight clicking sound each time it absorbs a slight spike or boosts because of a slight drop. I live in a building that is only maybe 15-20 years old with very stable wiring yet there has never been a day where it didn't click at least 5+ times.

I bought a decent one about 3 years ago for only $35. The maker is called "OptiUPS". I use a 2 stage system. I have a 2100 joules (most are 600) surge protector directly in the wall connection and I then connect the voltage regulator to it. The regulator also has an additional 900 joules of surge protection. This all equates to everything I plug into it never getting anything but 100% clean power. Anything solid state especially benefits from this like the logic board, PSU etc.

17. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I remember you saying that in an earlier thread. I use a surge protector, so I guess that isn't enough. Ill look for a cheap voltage conditioner in the future. I'd like to extend the life of this hardware as long as possible.

18. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Although the MDD's did have sketchy PSU's I would trust one before any G5 (tower or iMac) in terms of longevity. Even the most reliable G5 ever made is twice as unreliable. If the day comes that it dies then you can always rewire a x86 market PSU to run your MDD.

This is a slightly newer version of mine.

19. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I was just reading an article about converting an ATX PSU for the MDD. Always a good choice to fall back apon.

Thanks for the link. I'll add that to my upgrades list for this machine.

20. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

It died and resurrected, logic board gave up on me after a restart from a power failure. Replaced the noisy fan on the powersupply, but even then it still noisy. Now the MDD is with my daughter, with all the nice stuff I accumulated with it. :D

21. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

If you want to save $5-10 you could get the 1200 model rather than the 2000 I linked to. If you are going to plug all 3 of your Macs into it though then the 2000 is a must.

22. BigDukeSix, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I have always liked the look of the G4. I have a 1.6 G5, but was wondering if the G4 is actually better.
    What do you use yours for? I might have to entertain the thought of getting one. Where did you purchase yours?

23. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I will use this for photo editing, managing my itunes library (when i install a larger drive) , gaming, and word processing.

got it on eBay for 105 with free shipping. amazing deal.

24. westom macrumors regular

It is the job of all power supplies to condition power. For example, ideal power for all electronics is when voltages drop so low as to dim incandescent lamps to 50% intensity. If your voltages are varying that much, then electronics are ideal happy. But motorized appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, air conditioner, etc) are at extreme risk; require power conditioners.

Power conditioners do not do anything for surges. View its spec numbers. If a surge can get through superior protection inside electronic power supplies, then it goes right through a power conditioner like butter.

Read the manufacturer numeric specifications to learn same.

25. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Sorry but you really don't seem to understand how things work as far as computer power and your blanket sweeping claim that power conditioners do nothing for surges is totally wrong. They all have surge protection as well.

I love how people just swoop in with misinformation thats spoken in circles. Delusion is not something that should be spread. It should be contained like a virus because it fills people heads with incorrect thoughts.