Got my replacement iPhone 4 today- Week 25 vs 28 observations(with pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parker770, Jul 26, 2010.

1. parker770 macrumors member

After ongoing problems with the proximity sensor on my iPhone 4 that I have had since the weekend of the launch, Apple agreed to replace the phone for me. Today when I got home from class, it had arrived:

[​IMG]

And I guess they finally decided to include the SIM tool, as when I purchased it originally, we had to use a paperclip at the store since nothing was provided.

[​IMG]

I have read some reports that the more recent build date phones might have some subtle changes, some people have mentioned a different finish on the antenna. My first phone(on the right) was a week 25, the replacement(on the left) is a week 28.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there a difference in finish/texture? Not that I can discern. Preliminary tests show that it suffers the exact same amount of signal drop(from 5 bars to 1) as the week 25 phone did when using the death grip without a case.

I haven't used the phone enough on extended calls to know if the proximity sensor issue is still there, but I will update as I find out.

2. llbaronll macrumors member

ok seriously. wtf you were expecting? different phone ?

3. calb macrumors 6502

After all the rumour-mongering in these forums, he's probably just setting the record straight.

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Jeez!! Be easy whats your problem!! These forums are hitting the *****!

5. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

Obviously since your new you missed BGR reporting a few weeks ago that people were saying there is more of a matte finish on the phones atenna band . So don't jump down his throat when obviously you don't know all the facts

6. pablo7 macrumors 6502

:eek:ZING!!
    .....:apple:

7. navigates macrumors 6502a

The op is just trying to help and ask a question. I was interested to see the pics.

8. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one jealous that he got a sim ejector tool?!

9. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Wow! You need to relax! A lot!

10. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Hope the replacement phone works out great for you! :)

11. parker770 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmmm... Not sure where that came from, I was pointing it out that it WASN'T a different phone, contrary to other reports that the finish seemed different on the later build phones. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension skills.

Both spot on.

12. Stein357 macrumors 6502

He's just trying to show that despite the speculation, there's no differences in the phone. Calm down man.

13. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

this.

14. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

The iPhone on the right seems more shiny! Any one noticed that?
    :p

15. danimal99 macrumors regular

Why are you seeing a 5 to 1 drop? Have you not updated the firmware? (It should only be a 2 bar drop max on the new software.) What FW does the new one come with?

I bought a new iPad a week ago and it already had the new 3.2.1 firmware installed on it, so I'm surprised your new production iPhone still has the old stuff.

16. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Ok seriously this forum is going to the dogs. I've followed macrumors for several years now and have enjoyed the informative and sometimes heated debates. But recently it seems that all types of critters have creeping in and making dumb statements.

I hope that the moderators can pull out some Raid and zap them at the door.

To the OP, I too was interested in reading your story.

17. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

Feel the exact same ...

18. parker770 thread starter macrumors member

It shipped with 4.0 I activated it and tested the signal attenuation at first and it only dropped from 5 to 3 bars, but then I realized that I needed to update to 4.0.1 for the comparison to the old phone(also on 4.0.1) to be accurate.

After updating, the signal drops from 5 bars to 1, just as it did on the week 25 phone.

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i hope you didnt use the sim tool as described, you might mess with the 2nd mic :p

20. kolax macrumors G3

Damn.. I was hoping for good news when I clicked your thread!

21. parker770 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, this is a trend that happens with every good discussion forum as they gain popularity. They start out as a good source of discussion without the constant negative presence of trolls and other ill willed posters, but as the numbers grow, so do the amount of stupid/pointless/malicious posts.

I am a newcomer to MR myself, but have found most of the board to be respectful and willing to help.

22. llbaronll macrumors member

i m new here but not on the net. i saw the report on gizmodo. but did anyone actually believe that????

23. llbaronll macrumors member

heh your from ottawa too. lol

anyway i didnt mean to sound rude to the OP. it was more like a joke as clearly he is seeing the same phone lol.

24. aluren macrumors 65816

So you got a replacement phone and didn't have to return the original one?

25. techguy1 macrumors regular

I totally agree, its becoming like a school playground with the usual 'failed medical experiments' feeling the need to voice unnecessary comments to prove that they are contaminating the gene pool for some reason !?

I've been a member for a couple of years and have noticed the degradation of the debates which is a shame, as it used to be a great source of useful information and members could feel free to post a question without the fear of being flamed.