Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parker770

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
After ongoing problems with the proximity sensor on my iPhone 4 that I have had since the weekend of the launch, Apple agreed to replace the phone for me. Today when I got home from class, it had arrived:

IMG_0265.jpg

And I guess they finally decided to include the SIM tool, as when I purchased it originally, we had to use a paperclip at the store since nothing was provided.

IMG_2732.jpg

I have read some reports that the more recent build date phones might have some subtle changes, some people have mentioned a different finish on the antenna. My first phone(on the right) was a week 25, the replacement(on the left) is a week 28.

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

Is there a difference in finish/texture? Not that I can discern. Preliminary tests show that it suffers the exact same amount of signal drop(from 5 bars to 1) as the week 25 phone did when using the death grip without a case.

I haven't used the phone enough on extended calls to know if the proximity sensor issue is still there, but I will update as I find out.

dast1g

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Ireland
ok seriously. wtf you were expecting? different phone ?

Obviously since your new you missed BGR reporting a few weeks ago that people were saying there is more of a matte finish on the phones atenna band . So don't jump down his throat when obviously you don't know all the facts

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
After ongoing problems with the proximity sensor on my iPhone 4 that I have had since the weekend of the launch, Apple agreed to replace the phone for me. Today when I got home from class, it had arrived:

IMG_0265.jpg

And I guess they finally decided to include the SIM tool, as when I purchased it originally, we had to use a paperclip at the store since nothing was provided.

IMG_2732.jpg

I have read some reports that the more recent build date phones might have some subtle changes, some people have mentioned a different finish on the antenna. My first phone(on the right) was a week 25, the replacement(on the left) is a week 28.

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

Is there a difference in finish/texture? Not that I can discern. Preliminary tests show that it suffers the exact same amount of signal drop(from 5 bars to 1) as the week 25 phone did when using the death grip without a case.

I haven't used the phone enough on extended calls to know if the proximity sensor issue is still there, but I will update as I find out.

Hope the replacement phone works out great for you! :)

parker770

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010

Hmmmm... Not sure where that came from, I was pointing it out that it WASN'T a different phone, contrary to other reports that the finish seemed different on the later build phones. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension skills.

After all the rumour-mongering in these forums, he's probably just setting the record straight.

Obviously since your new you missed BGR reporting a few weeks ago that people were saying there is more of a matte finish on the phones atenna band . So don't jump down his throat when obviously you don't know all the facts

Both spot on.

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Why are you seeing a 5 to 1 drop? Have you not updated the firmware? (It should only be a 2 bar drop max on the new software.) What FW does the new one come with?

I bought a new iPad a week ago and it already had the new 3.2.1 firmware installed on it, so I'm surprised your new production iPhone still has the old stuff.

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Ok seriously this forum is going to the dogs. I've followed macrumors for several years now and have enjoyed the informative and sometimes heated debates. But recently it seems that all types of critters have creeping in and making dumb statements.

I hope that the moderators can pull out some Raid and zap them at the door.

To the OP, I too was interested in reading your story.

dast1g

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Ireland
Ok seriously this forum is going to the dogs. I've followed macrumors for several years now and have enjoyed the informative and sometimes heated debates. But recently it seems that all types of critters have creeping in and making dumb statements.

Feel the exact same ...

parker770

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Why are you seeing a 5 to 1 drop? Have you not updated the firmware? (It should only be a 2 bar drop max on the new software.) What FW does the new one come with?

It shipped with 4.0 I activated it and tested the signal attenuation at first and it only dropped from 5 to 3 bars, but then I realized that I needed to update to 4.0.1 for the comparison to the old phone(also on 4.0.1) to be accurate.

After updating, the signal drops from 5 bars to 1, just as it did on the week 25 phone.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i hope you didnt use the sim tool as described, you might mess with the 2nd mic :p

parker770

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010

Unfortunately, this is a trend that happens with every good discussion forum as they gain popularity. They start out as a good source of discussion without the constant negative presence of trolls and other ill willed posters, but as the numbers grow, so do the amount of stupid/pointless/malicious posts.

I am a newcomer to MR myself, but have found most of the board to be respectful and willing to help.

llbaronll

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010

i m new here but not on the net. i saw the report on gizmodo. but did anyone actually believe that????

llbaronll

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010

heh your from ottawa too. lol

anyway i didnt mean to sound rude to the OP. it was more like a joke as clearly he is seeing the same phone lol.

techguy1

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
London

I totally agree, its becoming like a school playground with the usual 'failed medical experiments' feeling the need to voice unnecessary comments to prove that they are contaminating the gene pool for some reason !?

I've been a member for a couple of years and have noticed the degradation of the debates which is a shame, as it used to be a great source of useful information and members could feel free to post a question without the fear of being flamed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.