Got my Speck Candyshell

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Exley, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Exley macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I got my Speck Candyshell a few days ago and i thought i would post some pictures and my thoughts on the case.

I'll start with the pictures. I chose the Black/yellow color combination.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far i like the case, i feel like my phone is very well protected.
    The plastic on the inside isn't as soft as i expected, it feels more plastic then silicone. Having said that, i do feel it offers shock protection and is soft enough that i don't have to worry about it scratching the back of the phone. Also because the soft plastic ridges up around the phone i feel like it offers some protection for the screen if it ever were to fall on its face (knock's on wood).

The hard plastic has a nice finish to it. On the black/yellow model i got it looks almost identical to the plastic on the back of the phone. It does seem very susceptible to scratches though, mine actually came scratched up a little. This isn't an issue to me but i thought i would mention it. The hard plastic back also makes the phone slide really easily in and out of my pocket, unlike the rubber/silicone cases.

Also one thing most of the reviews of the case mentioned that i find too, is that you really can't feel the lock or volume buttons. You really just have give the button a sharp press and hope it works. This bothered me at first but the more i use the phone in the case the more i get used to it. Another thing worth mentioning is that the silent switch is recessed a good bit and i kinda have to get in there with my finger nail to turn it on and off.

Hope it helps out some people looking into the case, feel free to ask me any questions about it.

2. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I like the looks of this case, but I hate all the color combo's they offer. I wish it was SOLID black, or even Black and grey, or white. I'm not into the colors much. IF I were to buy one, I would get the black and yellow myself.

3. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Such a good looking case. Does the rubber on the front make it difficult to take out of your jeans pocket?
    I want to get one of these...I just can't justify buying another damn iPhone case.

4. jparris1 macrumors regular

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Ah don't tell me that.
    *Tries to resist spending $35 on another case...*

6. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I got my two Candyshells yesterday and so far its fantastic! I got the Grey/Orange and Black/Green and they look sharp! I agree with the OP about the protection - I feel they will do a good job. I am afraid of dropping it on a hard surface though, not sure if it will crack.

Other than that - wish I bought this case long ago. Might get the other two colors for the collection! Hope they come out with more!

7. eedna macrumors member

my advice: dont take the phone out of the case. I got my red and white one, and it was fantastic for about 2 weeks. around the middle of the third week, i noticed that the strip along the bottom had cracked. after looking at what could have caused it, i noticed that when you take the phone out of the case, it puts an enormous amount of stress on that area. I made a warranty claim, and didnt hear anything for 3 days until i was told that the color i had was out of stock, but they would be getting more in the next day and would ship one out to me then. I didnt hear from them for a week, at which point i sent them and email asking for an update, which went unanswered. 3 days after the first update email, i sent another again asking for an update, at which point i was told that they still did not have the red/white in stock and asked if i wanted another color or case instead. i didnt want to wait that much longer so i just asked them for a white fitted case instead. a couple hours later i got an email with an ereciept saying that they had shipped one out to me ups ground (no tracking #). this was on february 26th. i still havent recieved my new case, and in this whole process the strip across the bottom has split in 2 more places on each edge, so basically the bottom strip of my case looks like |-----|-----|

heres a pic of the first split, i dont have any of the new ones.
    http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=casex.jpg

that being said, its still a fantastic case and i really wish it hadnt split like that.

i just sent speck an email asking for a tracking number on my replacement, but for now im going back to my chinese import 1.70 clear silicon jacket

8. kicko macrumors 65816

I have had 2 of these cases since they came out and i have have no problems with either. I have taken them off almost ever week. I think the best advice is put it on and leave it on, however if your are going to take it off i would suggest "flexing" it from the top half NOT the bottom since it has very little supporting hard plastic. Press with your thumbs on the speck logo and with your index fingers pull back on the top corners. It will come off with not too much trouble. As a tip i would suggest flipping the phone on vibrate since it will push against the switch.

Overall i think its one of the best cases on the market.

9. Davoo macrumors member

That sucks that this happened to you. I can see that as being the one downfall with this case. I love the fit and finish of the case except for that bottom strip. The one piece design feels solid and doesn't flex at all when the phone is in it like my slider does.( where the bottom meets the top.) I have the green and gray and just ordered the black and yellow. I don't take the case off often at all so I hope I can avoid cracking that strip. The case does scratch way too easy but it is the most solid feeling case I've used. I wish they'd come out with a solid black version.

10. Exley thread starter macrumors newbie

can you post some pics? i'd be cool to see some better pictures of the other colors.

BTW, i seem to have worn in my lock button on the case a little. I can feel a slight click now when i lock the phone

11. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I just saw this post so sorry for the delay! I will get some pics up tomorrow when I'm back at home with the camera. I also have a white/red Candyshell on the way!

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You do need to take it off to clean the case. It apparently gets some dust through the camera and headphone holes...

13. Exley thread starter macrumors newbie

I took the case off the other day and i did notice a small amount of dust. Nowhere near as much as in the silicone case i had before though (that actually scratched the phone a little). Most of the dust just says in the camera/headphone/silent switch holes, which i blow out with canned air periodically.

14. N16K macrumors newbie

15. dmw2692004 macrumors member

Nice case, great review, ill prolly get one when I pick up my iphone.

16. kicko macrumors 65816

I took mine off the other day also and i didnt notice much dust or anything building up inside. I do notice a little around the bottom, camera lens, and headphone jack. There was no sign of any scratching from the case at all. I do really like these cases.

17. toenniel macrumors newbie

Can anyone who owns this case comment on the size of the headphone hole? I heard from a few reviews that oversize headphone jacks might not fit. I use Etymotic er4 earphones - here is a pic with the jack. http://www.heartoronto.ca/Store/images/products/Etymotic ER4P.jpg

If anyone can give me their thoughts I would appreciate it.

Erika

18. jacobgaul macrumors regular

TJ Maxx has these for $3 each i was just there about a hour ago and they were in mens dept.. they have pretty much all the colors and even the older see-thru candy shells.

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Ive posted a 50% off code , search for it

20. tigger72 macrumors newbie

Got my Speck Candyshell

I got a Speck Candyshell in Black/Grey. Put my iphone into it last night and for some reason it is pressing constantly against the up volume button on the side.

Any ideas.

21. V4705 macrumors 6502

known issue with the new candyshells, send it back to the manufacture\store.

22. tigger72 macrumors newbie

Got my Speck Candyshell

I bought it from mygearstore.com and I live in the UK. I have emailed them and I am waiting for a reply.

I have emailed them in the past but have never got a reply before.

23. V4705 macrumors 6502

yep, i heard about their service before...
    try to "twit" them on http://twitter.com/mygearstore

and at the same time email speckproducts support and ask them to contact mygearstore.

good luck.

24. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

25. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I think this happened to me once and I did exactly that, took it back out and reinserted and it was fine. User error!