Got off phone with apple told me you won't be able to preorder at full retail price?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Sep 9, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I'm hoping this guy was just clueless he first told me they won't be selling them unlocked initially. Then I told him I don't care if it's unlocked but that I just want to purchase it at full retail price to use on AT&T. He looked it up and said system is only showing them offering a subsidized option and that my best bet is to go into AT&T.

I was hoping to avoid lines but it looks like I'll have to hunt one down in person.:rolleyes::eek:

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Can you not buy full price using AT&T web site like you can with Verizon?
    Buy the full price t Mobile phone. You can use that on AT&T.

3. techn9ne macrumors member

Well if he's looking in his system and doesn't see what you're asking for (less than 12 hours after the keynote), then I'd probably believe him. Unlocked phones usually aren't available right away so I doubt you're going to get one right off the bat. Give places some time to figure their stuff out before you get worked up.

4. carrerascott macrumors regular

Buy it full priced Unlocked T-Mobile from Apple. It will work fine on AT&T. They both use GSM so are compatible.

I did this for 5S.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

Verizon always sells unlocked full price on their web site. I though the T Mobile was available full price, unlocked from Apple.

6. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Do you simply put your AT&T sim in the unlocked t-mobile phone?

7. Izauze macrumors 6502

Some kid who has probably been working there for 5 weeks and just wants to get the phone call over with as soon as he can. I wouldn't take it as bible truth.

8. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Here is what happens. When you preorder, you need an active att line. At that time it will tell you what your pricing is. If you can't upgrade, it will show full price. You can buy it for full price then. What you can't do is get a phone without an account.

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

10. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

But, will it be one of those 40 day commitments? I wished Apple just sell the officially factory unlocked 6+ now. I know it won't be out until November like last year's 5S.

11. carrerascott macrumors regular

Yep

12. techspin macrumors 6502a

So are the T-mo unlocked phones and AT&T ones the same model? Also on the pre-order page, the T-mo option only says contract-free, not unlocked...

13. Spoolx macrumors member

This guy knows whats up.

14. Dranix macrumors 6502a

Dranix

Your really still get this locked down crap in the usa? Strange Apple sells ONLY unlocked iPhones at their german stores.

15. braintumor macrumors regular

Exactly! I would like some clarification on this too. If I order the contract-free t-mobile phone let it ship to my home outside the US (via freight forwarding) and put in my gsm sim card that is not from t-mobile or any other US carrier, will it work? Is it truely unlocked? Whats the difference between the t-mobile phone and the unlock phone that will come around november with the same price?

I don't wanna end up pre-ordering something that will not work when it arrived here...

16. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

How is everyone so sure about this? It would be a godsend if true but I don't know where people are getting this from.

----------

Same! I need to be able to use my phone for 6 months of the year in Canada and I'd rather not wait until December, or whenever it is that both the unlocked version is released and orders have let up enough for me to claim mine.

17. bidwalj macrumors 65816

In the past, if you paid full price for a att phone (I'm guessing it's the same for tmo going forward) it was always unlocked no matter what the box says. The actual lock happens when you sign the contract. I don't see this changing but you never know.

18. drkwtsn macrumors member

so if I buy the tmobile one... do i need an account with tmobile?

in the past apple has always released the carrier locked phones first, then a month or so later released the unlocked option on their site

19. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

How does it work if I'm using a cheap basic flip phone that's under no contract, would it try and force a subsidized price on me? Or would it let me buy it at full retail then?

20. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I got off of a chat with Apple and they clarified that the Unlocked iPhone 6 WILL NOT be available for pre order OR on launch day. The T-Mobile version is locked on T-Mobile's network and is not unlocked.

This is contradictory to the T-Mobile iPhone 5S from last year's launch so I brought that up and Apple again confirmed that this year's model will not be unlocked.

----------

I would like to know this as well

21. braintumor macrumors regular

Thanks for the clarification, is there any other way to somehow preorder from the US an iphone6 that is carrier unlocked for sure? The only other option I see at the moment is to wait until the end of the year or order one for a hefty premium from apple in germany where they sell real unlocked iphone6 from day 1 starting at a price of EUR 699...

http://store.apple.com/de/buy-iphone/iphone6

22. drkwtsn macrumors member

historically apple releases the unlocked iphone in november after the september release

23. braintumor macrumors regular

Last year the unlocked version got released in the US on 22 Nov... At that time there was still an estimated shipping time of 10-14 days, so you will not receive the unlocked phone before december if things go similar to last year.

I rather pre-order it next friday then I will be sure to have the phone within the next 4 weeks in my country...

24. roseofdarktears macrumors newbie

Due to the FCC contract with verizon for their vast LTE network, all verizon phones are 100% domestic and international sim unlocked. When the phone is released, simply walk into a verizon store and pay full price for it and walk out, or do the same online with their free 2 day delivery. Simply choose the 'month-to-month' payment option before checking out. You need to do nothing more than pop your sim card into the phone.

25. sr1329 macrumors member

Ok but NEVER buy it from T-mobile because it will be locked.

----------

True. Do you know of any options for people without an account and who don't want a new one?