Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
People in other threads mentioned that most in line are nice and are OK with people leaving for a bathroom break and coming back. It isn't cuthroat.

The one time that I waited in line (with a reservation), people were very cool. We were even taking lunch orders for each other and making food and soda runs.

overlyunderme

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Houston
I don't know if a lot of people are aware, but not all of us work Mon-Fri 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. I work shift work so I'm off starting tomorrow and don't go back in until next Thursday night. So that may be the case with "some" of these people. Just seems like everyone always jumps to the worst conclusion instead of thining about all of the options.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I don't know if a lot of people are aware, but not all of us work Mon-Fri 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. I work shift work so I'm off starting tomorrow and don't go back in until next Thursday night. So that may be the case with "some" of these people. Just seems like everyone always jumps to the worst conclusion instead of thining about all of the options.

I work 9-hour days 8 days a week so I can get every other Friday off. It's an awesome tiny benefit that my job offers, so I have tomorrow off anyway. So you're right, making snap judgments about people and their work schedules is short-sighted.

PMehta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
One thing I've never understood: when people wait in line alone, how do you go to the bathroom without losing your spot or your stuff?

Empty 2L bottle of coke or if you're really willing a catheter and a few bags! :D

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Seriously? So he is a loser because he is doing something you would not want to do? Perhaps this is his thing and why yuck his yum, so to speak? An adult calling another adult a name simply because they're doing something they want to do is stupid and kind of suggests that the pot is calling the kettle black there.

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. If he wants to waste his time camping out for a phone then so be it.

I would never camp for a phone but if someone wants to then great. I'll wait until early October for my phone.

So this guy can choose to line up, but the two posters you had a go at cannot choose to voice their opinions. What was that about pot kettle black??

Sorry but when I see people lining up outside Apple stores, days early, Looser does come into my mind. Its only a gadget!!!!

PMehta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Just once I would like to see apple release a phone on say the 1st week of February. Then we see who the real die hard fans are (in the north at least) :)

If it's cold enough you can build an igloo and chill out in there while waiting! :D

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Apple.com - Didn't open for 2 hours (unless you had a secret link or used app)
Sprint - Didn't open for 2 1/2 hours (some people got through but it was a mess)
ATT - Opened at 11:58A but those orders got pushed to Mid October

Preorders are supposed to help avoid waiting in line like this and I'm very very glad they exist. But every year there's something so waiting in line may be the better option.

I do feel bad for people who did not get their preorder in... but with that said, I didn't actually place my order until about 1:30 PST and all the way through about an hour or so later they still said 9/19 for shipping.

I've also preordered a modest 4 apple devices and I've never had a problem. It's one thing to sit in line if you tried and failed to preorder. I would venture a guess that a lot of people either don't know that preorders exist or they just don't want to preorder (which I still don't understand).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So this guy can choose to line up, but the two posters you had a go at cannot choose to voice their opinions. What was that about pot kettle black??

Sorry but when I see people lining up outside Apple stores, days early, Looser does come into my mind. Its only a gadget!!!!

One poster called a guy a name. He added nothing more. I don't think the word opinion means what you think it means there.

The other poster was simply told that if he wanted to do it then who cares? In fact, re-read what I wrote..."Just because you don't get it doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. If he wants to waste his time camping out for a phone then so be it." That is hardly "having a go". I voiced my opinion on opposition to his. That is exactly what happened and I never said he cannot have an opinion. An opposing statement is never telling someone off nor telling someone they cannot have an opinion. Again, I don't think you understood what I wrote.

I stand by "having a go" at the other guy. He called him a loser, not looser, but loser. You're calling the guy the same name. Justifying being a bully online to a total stranger you cannot face in front of a pack of strangers on a web forum is inane.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Would be funny if he is waiting in line for the 6 Plus and they don't have any. Talk about a waste of time!

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Would be funny if he is waiting in line for the 6 Plus and they don't have any. Talk about a waste of time!

And that's what makes it not right, the stores should at least be nice to tell us what stock they will be having a day before to avoid situations like these. Some stores aren't giving any information until the morning of.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
One poster called a guy a name. He added nothing more. I don't think the word opinion means what you think it means there.

The other poster was simply told that if he wanted to do it then who cares? In fact, re-read what I wrote..."Just because you don't get it doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. If he wants to waste his time camping out for a phone then so be it." That is hardly "having a go". I voiced my opinion on opposition to his. That is exactly what happened and I never said he cannot have an opinion. An opposing statement is never telling someone off nor telling someone they cannot have an opinion. Again, I don't think you understood what I wrote.

I stand by "having a go" at the other guy. He called him a loser, not looser, but loser. You're calling the guy the same name. Justifying being a bully online to a total stranger you cannot face in front of a pack of strangers on a web forum is inane.

Maybe the person wants to make some extra money, maybe the person has more money than all of us and just likes waiting for a new phone. So the wasting time comment is an opinion of yours only.

KisakiSama

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO, USA
I just don't understand why people get in a physical line with all of the preorder options. I DO NOT GET IT.

For me, it was just a matter of not having the cash last week and getting paid this week. I would have loved to have preordered (the model I wanted was still available that morning when I came in to work) but I just couldn't do it at the time.

sdiori

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
At least it's in Lincoln Park...I guess. Not to shady of an area with plenty of amenities around. I respect the dedication but will always seek out alternatives rather than waste two days of my time waiting on a phone.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
And that's what makes it not right, the stores should at least be nice to tell us what stock they will be having a day before to avoid situations like these. Some stores aren't giving any information until the morning of.

Stores are here to make money. They're businesses. Grocery stores won't tell you that they're sold out of each and every item that they're selling via their daily add, but they don't have to tell you if they're sold out ahead of time. You might want to buy something else and that's what businesses want. You to buy something. Demand gets people to the store.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe the person wants to make some extra money, maybe the person has more money than all of us and just likes waiting for a new phone. So the wasting time comment is an opinion of yours only.

Right, it's my opinion. I've stated that and I'm not sure how to clarify that further. What is inane is calling someone a name for the sake of being mean to a random stranger in front of random stranger. Be better than that.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Personally I would never camp out for a phone. Partly because I'm lazy and like the convenience of getting it shipped, partly because I don't have the time to sit in line for a day (Married with children), and partly because it ain't my thing anymore. But I think its kinda cool that people camp out. I've seen it done for other things; Black Friday sales, concerts etc. I imagine it would be fun. I would probably do it for fun if I were in a different situation.

What I don't get is people criticizing and insulting people who do. They aren't hurting or bothering anyone. Who's the bigger loser? The guy/girl with time on their hands camping in line, or the guy/girl soooo bothered and concerned by it that they feel the need to call them names (oh, and make commercials insulting them *cough* Samsung *cough*)?

lithonius

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
ATT - Opened at 11:58A but those orders got pushed to Mid October

That's funny, I preordered mine on ATT at 6am ET and am getting my phone tomorrow... as are thousands of others.

CCFqlLe.jpg

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I didn't have an upgrade available until Verizon gave everyone early upgrades, then it was too late to preorder for 9/19 pickup. That's why I'll be in line!

Bummer!!

I called vzw a good bit before the media event and asked nicely and they did it for me ;)

...I think they knew that they'd be bumping them up for everyone so they just did it for those who called and asked!

----------

For me, it was just a matter of not having the cash last week and getting paid this week. I would have loved to have preordered (the model I wanted was still available that morning when I came in to work) but I just couldn't do it at the time.

I'm not sure what *exactly* that means, but if taken at face value, I'd say it's time to reassess priorities. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.