Got perfect replacement RMBP..BUT!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zjazz, Sep 20, 2012.

1. zjazz macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    Just got a replacement due to screen shadowing in my previous RMBP. This screen looks great, no problems, and it's Samsung.

However! The computer lags!!! And my previous one didn't have these symptoms. For instance if you go to about this mac, more info, and change the tabs between overview-display-storage-memory it changes the info, but not smooth. I noticed it right away. Or if you for example in system preferences and going to different settings, it is not smooth at all when opening one window and then going back. It is like for a millisecond previous window shows while new one opens, hence the lag. There is no lag in safari though. It looks like only system applications do that. And if you swipe spaces, it does lag as well. It is noticeable especially if you go slow from one space to another.

I have not used my previous RMBP and sent it back right away due to screen problem, but I'm sure that kind of lag was not present in my previous machine.
    I'm gonna go to Apple store to try another machines, but meanwhile could you give me some info on that? Is your smooth as butter on those?
    And yes I did update everything to latest OS.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

is your new machine still spotlight indexing?

3. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

nope. i have not put any of my files on it yet. so there nothing to index i guess, and it's not indexing i guess. it should tell you if it's indexing right?

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It would say "Indexing..." or something to that effect.

As far as the lag itself, there are countless threads on rMBP interface lag. Check this thread to troubleshoot possible solutions to the issue. There are also many more with a simple Google search.

5. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for replies. Yes the lag im talking about is an interface lag. it was not like that on previous machine. Previous rmbp was not flawless either, but not like this one. I think there is something wrong. Even now when typing text lags and appears late, it was never on previous one.
    Should I try to clean install again? Although this one is several hours old without any of my personal info on it....

6. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, just noticed while using it..in gmail, it will open front page, then will go to email, then when back to inbox folder some parts of screen are blank! hit reload and it's ok...this is unacceptable! very upset with my replacement...here it goes, text disappeared again....ohhhhh:confused::confused::confused::confused:

7. Bebel macrumors member

Did you run all the updates? I would try that as well.

8. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. Like I said did all updates to latest OSX and there was another update as well along with it, dont remember the name.

----------

Reinstalling Lion now. Hope this helps! Hope on factory there was something wrong with install and this clean install will do it.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

From what I read, Lion has lots of lag issues that are resolved in Mountain Lion. Are you installing Lion or ML?

10. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohh yes of course Mountain Lion. Sorry about confusion

11. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok..there is no difference with new clean install of ML. Machine lags like nothing else...
    Camone apple... this is the first time I'm so dissapointed with you. Used Apple for years and nothing close to it ever happened...
    I'm doubting now if I want to get a new one now. I need a computer to work on and not just for fun. It's effecting my work. I might go to regular 15 MBP, but I'm very clueless right now. Why this lag in system. Everything else it great, no screen issues, no dead pixel, no squeaking...oh well...this one going back very unfortunately....:(:(:(:(:(:(

12. PS65 macrumors 6502

That's a Java bug. All rMBP have that at the moment.

13. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

GMail doesn't use Java. It works fine in Chromium nightly or Opera Next, so I suspect you mean a javascript bug related to Safari.

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I have had this problem for a while.. and it's still not fixed after all the updates!!! :mad:

It's an issue with Safari. Try using Chrome instead.

15. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks...ok then what about lag in let's say about this computer switching between tabs? is that related to java too?:confused:

16. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

That's strange... I never had any lag issues on this computer, besides a slight stutter when switching spaces. That went away after I installed 10.8.2. :confused:

17. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

exactly...my first one was not lagging like this in system preferences between windows

18. PS65 macrumors 6502

Sorry, javascript. It's been a long day.

19. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Yes, this gives me about 20fps on retina@1440 and about 30-35fps on an external display or retina@2880 (and about 30fps with retina@1920, very bizarre). It is just visually noticeable. It has nothing to do with Java/Javascript, and it doesn't apply to doing real work on this machine, so don't worry about it.

You can test fps in the UI using quartz debug, part of XCode's additional graphics tools.

20. dvdrsmth macrumors newbie

Try this....

Do an SMC reset:

1) Shut down the computer.
    2) Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    3) On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    4) Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    5) Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

21. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Just uploaded a youtube video with the lag im talking about.

PLEASE check it out and tell me if yours is the same or not:)

Went to bestbuy today and checked one retina there, and it was same as mine...will go to Apple store tomorrow. But please let me know if this is normal switching or not.

Thank you in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdqHoJ8lWok&feature=youtu.be

----------

Thanks, did that 2 times....

22. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Same - though I don't see it as a huge deal. Similar to how my MBA 2011 looked so it doesn't bother me at all.

23. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. I certainly didn't have it in my CMBP nor in my previous RMBP with faulty screen.

Anyone else could please see the video and see in your RMBP? I really need to see if it's the way all of them or there are some laggy and not laggy ones. If it has in system doing so simple tab change, it will effect other programs that will need video power...
    Thanks everybody for checking it and reporting, I appreciate everyone's help!

24. DTKblaster macrumors member

My rMBP is the same as your video, but I don't have laggy text or any of this other funny stuff you're talking about. There is a EFI 1.0 firmware update you can manually download from apple (at least it didn't automatically happen for me) which might help. There are other things you can reset too I think, like PRAM etc.

I wouldn't return that one if I was you, your problem is almost certainly software related, and you might get a worse physical replacement if you do.

If you can, I would try running some benchmarks, and you can see how it performs under windows if you have it.

25. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

DTKBlaster thanks for your suggestion.
    Yes I did updated EFI with the Lion update. And did reset nvram and smc. None of it helped.
    Also now I noticed the shut down time is very very long! Way longer than start up. My startup is around 8-9 seconds and shut down maybe twice. I understand what you saying about keeping it, but theres something not right. All these things Im suspecting to be connected.