Got pushed in the pool with my iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by road2state, Aug 29, 2015.

1. road2state macrumors newbie

was in the pool for about 2 seconds before i climbed out as fast as i could it was in my swimsuit pocket with my wallet which is barely wet... had a mophie case on it as well, iPhone and mophie are still working fine although I turned the iPhone off and wrapped it in some shorts since I don't have any rice on me

thoughts on what I should do? Sorry if this isn't the right section, kinda panicked right now :(

2. NoWayBehind macrumors 6502

NoWayBehind

Im not kidding. Put it in the oven (please not too hot).

3. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Who the fudge chucked you in the pool, tell them to pay for a replacement.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Inform the person who pushed you in how to buy you a 6s.

5. road2state thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a college student it was at a party to be honest i really have no idea who did it :(

mophie is charging and blinking, and my phone is off wrapped in some shorts... i'm thinking if the mophie is still working then my phone should be alright... (i hope)

6. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Do not turn your phone on go to the store buy big big bag of rice open the end of bag and stick your phone in completely covering your phone completely. Leave it for 3 full days yes 3 days leave it don't be tempted to turn on then after 3 days try it.

7. road2state thread starter macrumors newbie

it has to be good news that the mophie is still working and the phone was too until i turned it off though right?

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The phone is probably fine. You said it was only two seconds; there are videos on Youtube of a phone being thrown in water and sitting there for nearly a minute before it finally fails.

Just turn it on and see how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone itself works, but you have problems with the earpiece. When I spilled water on the front of my iPhone 5 years ago the phone worked fine but the earpiece died in about a week.

9. road2state thread starter macrumors newbie

so crazy glad to hear this I've been so worried being a broke college student buying a replacement isn't really an option

gonna keep it off as long as possible and just take my chances lol

10. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

The important parts are to turn it off asap and get it dry. Pool water is generally corrosive, so it best to get as much out of the nooks and crannies as possible.
    Remove sim and tray. Get water out of ports.

Incidentally. I dropped my in a just flushed toilet about 5 months ago. Elapsed time in the throne was about 3 seconds.
    Saving grace for me was the leather case as it covered the volume and sleep buttons. I quickly took it out of the case and got as much water out as I could.
    It sat a few days off, but works fine.

11. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I hate to burst your bubble, but electronics, liquids and applied power do not mix. IMO, you are living on borrowed time.

12. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

Use a strong vacuum. Suck as much water out of it as you can. Those computer vacs with small hoses work best. Similar concept as a wet/dry vac. This will suck as much extra moisture off the chips. Then use the rice method by burying it in rice for a few days.

13. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

I washed my iPod touch in washer lol, soap, rinse, everything . 3 days of rice then powered it on, been working two more years

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

This is why AppleCare Plus is such a good idea. A lot of people say it's a waste of money but it gives you peace of mind and on the rare occasion when something like this happens it comes in handy.

15. nox5 macrumors 6502

The best way would be to disconnect battery inside and dry it as any electricity would speed up corrosion. Also if you open it you could see if water went inside at all and of course it would dry faster.

16. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I dropped my 6 in the toilet a couple of weeks ago, and most people call shenanigans when I tell them.

I had been carrying my phone without a case for a few days, and speed it one night while drinking. My phone most definitely clattered around the inside of the bowl a bit, and came to a rest screen side up, just in time to see the text from my wife roll in. I estimate about 2-3 seconds of staring, then I reached in and grabbed it. All I did was dry it with a towel and go about my business. I never shut it off that night, and have never had a single problem with my phone.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I've always heard that the thing to do is not attempt to turn the device on, and bury it in a bowl of dry rice for a day. The rice will absorb the moisture, but trying to turn it on while wet will fry the circuits.

In the future, if you're around a pool and wearing a swimsuit, maybe you shouldn't have your phone on you.

18. w01fpack81 macrumors newbie

w01fpack81

I'd say it's toast. You might get it to work for a short while, but you'd be better off selling it in prep for the 6S coming, anyway. I have had two iPhones (original) get wet, and it didn't go well. My roommate used one as a gaming device for about six months, so you might be able to get that much time out of it. But still, if I were in your position, I'd sell it and use the money for a new phone.

19. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

Didn't see any remarks about the tell-tail water indicators that CANCEL any warranty. If you shine a light into the headset port, at the bottom of the port, you should see a "white" indicator. It turns red if any water got into the port. I've also read that there are internal water indicators as well.

IF there is red, "truth in advertising" might be suggested. On any direct sale such as craigslist, an informed buyer will check this out. On any eBay sale, you may get a request for a refund.

I had a flip phone that got "wet". After drying it out for several days, it ran fine EXCEPT that I couldn't shut it off. If I didn't recharge it almost everyday, the battery went dead. Other than that, I used it for a year or two.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

On the other hand plenty of people have had their phones work just fine and even for a long time after drying them out for some time.

21. nox5 macrumors 6502

Check the Water Damage / Liquid Contact Sensors

Attached Files:

22. w01fpack81 macrumors newbie

w01fpack81

This may be true, but I'm the type to play it safe. I wouldn't care if it just got caught in the rain for a moment. It's multi-hundred dollar hardware. Selling it off is my recommendation.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

True, it's a gamble, and it might work fine for a few months and then die suddenly, unfortunately there isn't any way to know.

Just be sure if you want to sell it that you are very clear that it may have water damage.

24. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not sure how much you'd get for it with full disclosure of the potential water damage.