got scammed on ebay.. looking for advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quashu, Oct 31, 2009.

1. quashu macrumors newbie

Guys bear with me here, I have a horror story to share, and looking for some advice... so here it goes-----
    I bought a laptop from this ebay seller with seller id "idriveacobalt87";.
    Here is the ebay listing: Link
    The purchase date was Oct. 19, 2009. I received the laptop on Oct. 26 2009. I had noticed that the sender was the same as the seller, ie, he probably told his friend to mail it so I cannot find out his address. He is some 22 year old kid still living with his parents; from my research online.
    Anyways, The laptop was definitely not as described, the lcd monitor has two vertical lines. (I took a picture of it right before I send it back, luckily. He doesn't know that I have a picture) Also, the CPU, memory, graphics card were all swapped out for much cheaper substitutes.(I ran a program called CPU-Z to find that out) I would not pay more than $100 for this piece of trash. I contacted the seller on that same day and he agreed to take my refund if I ship it back.
    this is what he said:
    ----(begin)---------
    Wow. Im really sorry for the incovience. I had someone who said they knew about computer look at it and he said it was all factory. I guess he doesnt know as much as he thought. Would you want it if i refunded you part of you payment? If not its no big deal. Once again im really sorry for the misinformation and the incovience.
    ------(end)----------

That same day, Oct. 26, I shipped it back to address where it came from.
    The delivered date was 10/29/2009. The next day, the seller emailed me saying he cannot refund me because of this BS (here is his own words)

-----------------------------------(begin)------------
    Im sorry to inform you that I am unable to refund you your money due to the fact that the laptop you have returned was returned damaged and in non working condition. It look as if it has been opened in multiple places. In the front especially its seem to be deformed and broken. There are new chips, scratches and pry marks which i have all documented. Also when I turned on the computer, it did power up but the screen remained blank and black. I did call eBay and spoke to a gentleman named Andy and told him my situation. He told me to inform you of this and to offer you the laptop back and not to refund your money. I sent photos to ebay to show them the damage. Please get back to me as soon as possible. ------------------------------------------------(end)----

which is a bunch of lies. OMG. Now, I paid $630 for the auction and paid $24.05 for UPS shipping back to him.(still have the receipt w/ tracking number) I made sure it was well packed and paid UPS for shipping insurance etc. Why would I damage his laptop and send it right back.. I tried to contact him a few more times until it was obvious he was just trying to scam money off me.
    I already talked to my credit card company and they said I need to wait 15 days to file a claim.
    I will feel terrible if he gets away with this. Man i am willing to sign affidavit, polygraph, sworn in court, cross-examination, pay court fee, anyways, whatever it takes to get him caught. I care less of the financial loss compare to the fact that some jackass is out there trying to make me look like I am the scammer!
    I got really mad today when I got this message today:
    ----(begin)-----
    Lies! Please. If you told me that you intentions were to receive the laptop, swap parts out or destroy it apart, and then send it back and ask for a refund i would not of sold it to you. I have already spoken to eBay about what has occurred. They have it on their records. They instructed me on what to do. I have evidence if needed. Witnesses also. So now ill just wait for the "authorities" to contact me and then go from there. Im sorry this didnt go according to plan for you.
    ----(end)-----

Please advice....
    1)anything else I should do? I filed a complaint to IC3 in addition to talking to my credit card company.
    2) how not to get so mad over this.
    THANKS

About myself:
    I am an actuarial software analyst with a MA degree in math, just graduated about 2 years ago. making a descent living but I need to work hard and long hours.. I need to take actuarial exams for my job in a week so that's another source of frustration, man I need to deal with this jackass even when I am so stressed from work and studying.

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

3. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Firstly, do NOT contact ebay support. They don't handle payments - PayPal and your credit card company does that. File a dispute with PayPal and choose the 'Item not as described' section (do not choose the 'item not received' obviously - because the seller has proof that the item was shipped and delivered to you)

In the comments section describe what your complaint is. The seller is obviously fraudulent, and it makes no logical sense for you to break a laptop and ship it back to him (what a joke) to get a refund. I'm pretty sure your cc company will side with you - if they don't, which I really doubt, file a small claims court case - I think it's $30. Sending emails to IC3 is not going to do anything because this is small scale fraud - they usually investigate cases if a lot of customers are involved or the amount involved is significant.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

More like PayPal and your bank (or credit card issuer). Tell them your story truthfully and provide evidence (auction, receipts, emails.). Try to have both representatives in a conference call so they coordinate any moves.

5. quashu thread starter macrumors newbie

I paid via paypal, but used my credit card to pay via paypal.

here is the link again--
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110445959200&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I took 2 pictures while I had it in my possession, showing the computer is defective.

I don't mind if I don't get the money back and instead it goes to a charity or something. In fact if I get it back I'll probably donate it away before christmas. But it makes me mad that it goes to a scammer like this.

6. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

file the claim with your cc company and be done with it. they will back you.

On a side note why anyone would pay 600 dollars for that laptop is beyond me

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Contact PayPal and dispute the charges on your credit card.

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Did you take pictures of the machine booted?

Did you take pictures of the machine in good condition (no pry marks, etc.)?

The machine that's bent up is probably the laptop that received all the parts from the one he sent you.

If you have the photos, get in touch with ebay and prove you didn't do it.

Seriously, just go the credit card route and have them hold the payment. Don't wait on it. The person with the money is in charge. Show the credit card company your shipping receipts and write a nice letter stating how the item was not as described and you shipped it back. Someone will typically call you and find out the story, be NICE!

It will probably be a month or so to get the money back, but they will give it to you, especially if your a good customer.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is why I don't buy expensive stuff on ebay. Too much crap like this happens.

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Im sorry this happen. I had two similar incidents only I was the seller. First I sold an old iBook G3 and it worked perfectly but the buyer said when he got it the screen didnt work. Well he opened a dispute and he won but when I got the laptop back it was trashed. It was open and missing pieces and wouldnt turn on at all. Anyway I ended up having to sign an affidavit and send the laptop to paypal and then got my money back.

The second time was an $800 sony vaio laptop. I had just gotten it as a replacement from sony and it worked fine. Well when the buyer received it they said it didnt work at all. But when i told them I just got it as a replacement from sony and sony will fix it they just backed down and I never got another message. I sell on ebay alot but I have had too many problems with people trying to get the item and the money. And like you said the sellers sell something that has issues they didnt describe and then they tried to blame it on the buyer. Good luck with your issue.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

After looking at that user. I see that all his purchases are set to PRIVATE. That right there for me is a flag.

Still. I'll just repeat what I already before. Get ahold of your credit card issuer and Paypal. Have them on a conference call so they can both see how to end this scam.

This fix will be quick considering its a credit card (meaning their money is on the line).

12. quashu thread starter macrumors newbie

I just call my credit card company again, inquiring about the status.
    They didn't do anything for some reason. I am thinking maybe the lady I talked to two days ago didn't enter in my information correctly or something. Anyways, I got a much more helpful person and she told me to contact paypal first, because if the credit card is supposed to be my second line of defense.
    So say if I file a dispute with my credit card first, and then if in the end the verdict doesn't go in my favor, then I cannot file a dispute with paypal.
    But if I file a dispute with paypal first and that paypal doesn't side with me, then I can still file a dispute with my credit card.
    So, I just called paypal filed a claim.

After this is over I want to write a letter to his parents saying what he did. But since he knows my name&phone&address, I am afraid of retaliation.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll keep post an update hopefully soon.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

File a dispute with PayPal first. They almost always side with the buyer. If that fails, use a chargeback with your credit card company as a second line of defense.

14. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

After you get your money back, tell the seller to file a claim with UPS for damages if the laptop is legitimately trashed, and he's not trying to extort money out of you.

Sounds like a good scam to me. Sell good looking laptop, send iffy looking laptop, accept the return, use pictures of destroyed laptop to make a case for damages, send damaged laptop to buyer.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

^ this. I have never seen it not work.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes. It's great when you're the buyer who truly did get screwed, but their always-side-with-the-buyer policy has screwed me a couple times as the seller when the buyer was the one trying to pull the scam.

And PayPal even once charged me a $10 processing fee for taking my money back from me after a dispute. Twats :rolleyes:

17. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I've only had two instances where I've needed to get Paypal involved in a bad transaction, and both times, they sided with the buyer (me). Keep your story clear, concise, and emotion-free, and you should be fine :)

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

as yg17 pointed out, if you are the buyer you pretty much win by default. Sellers get the shaft in more than just paypal transactions though, i don't think they can even leave feedback anymore.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

IIRC sellers can only leave positive feedback. Defeats the purpose of feedback :rolleyes:

20. quashu thread starter macrumors newbie

Well. What a wonderful news on sunday morning, I got the refund by paypal. My next step is to write a letter to his parents, when I have the time..