Got shafted in the iPhone 6 preorder process?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mlenger, Sep 14, 2014.

1. mlenger macrumors regular

mlenger

Tried to order starting midnight PST ( live in S California) never got through the website. Tried and tried on the app - never got very far. Tried ATT website as well. Finally got a order in with ATT at 1:30 PST for 6 plus 128 silver.
    Went to bed with out confirmation email. Next morning I got a email from Apple about reservation spot. Was sent at 2:34 AM - 1 hour after I i went to bed. att email as well. ATT said Nov delivey. My reservation # for Apple Store showed avail for 19. Store pickup or shipping Oct 13 - 20. Store pick up was not available because I bought via ATT Next :-( - Apple still had the better delivery date, so I went with the Apple order and tried to cancel the ATT. First they said you can only cancel with 15 min of order but when I explained this would have been impossible they finally agreed to cancel. - it will take a few days to complete the cancelation I was told.
    Sine my order would have been avail for store pickup on launch day I hope Apple revises their shipping date as I don't see a reason for the 4 week delay. I know we here in S Cal got shafted as we where blocked for the longest time by Apple servers. I saw people getting order confirmation from all over but here we locals got Zip! C' mon Apple , that was lousy. actually the whole preorder event was embarrassing.
    Anyone having a similar experience?
    Still hoping for Apple to make good on their pre order priority assignment?

2. uchosen macrumors 6502

SoCal here too. Where did you read that SoCal got blocked the longest? I got an order in at about 12:45am on the iPhone app with a little persistence.

3. Candurin macrumors regular

I live in NJ but was staying at the marriott near LAX the night of pre-order. Got my order confirmation via app store app at 12:21pst.

4. uchosen macrumors 6502

And I would have got it in sooner if I would have thought to use the Apple Store app right away. I jerked around refreshing the stupid website for like 30 minutes.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Your mistake was you didn't persevere enough on the Apple Store app and went to at&t instead. Many of us in SoCal got our orders in by 12:45 am through the Apple Store app with a little persistence.

6. Rudy78 macrumors newbie

So cal here after playing with the app I got my order in at 1am a 6 and 6+ got confirmation at 1:04am sept 19 delivery didn't even bother with AT&T Apple gets priority over everybody when it comes to inventory

7. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I got in around this time too. SoCal here as well.

8. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I'm in SoCal, I couldn't get my order in till 2:30AM Pacific. The phone I wanted, kept showing unavailable on the App.

9. nealh macrumors 6502

The App Store App for me in Florida would not work for 40min. I could get through in breeze with AT&T but the delivery date was 2-3 weeks for all iPhone 6+ 16/64gb, only 128 gave 9/19 date

So I waited and hope App store app would work and it finally did. I was annoyed App store was so slow(same for website for me as well)

I did 9/19 delivery date for my gold 64gb iPhone 6+

10. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Same here, Socal.

Couldn't get me order in until 2:30ish, but at least I got a silver iphone 6 Plus 64 GB for 9/19/2014, release day!!!!!

Yippie

11. mlenger thread starter macrumors regular

mlenger

No I tried with the app from the start and monitored the Apple website as well. I also checked the ATT website which went live around 1AM. So I orderen via ATT as a backup. I was focusing mainly on the app, since the Apple website was down unlit 3 AM I believe. I went to bed at 1:30
    In the beginning the app just did not respond well and then it told me the phones were not available.

12. jediuia macrumors regular

I did the same thing, but Verizon cancellation was instant, freeing up my eligibility. ATT seems to have screwed things up for you.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I didn't bother with at&t even when there were reports of at&t opening up for preorders knowing the horror stories of at&t changing the delivery dates. So it was either persisting on the Apple Store app hoping the situation would resolve itself or giving up to try again in the a.m.

14. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

Lucky! I got my gold 64GB Plus order in but shows October 1-6. Hoping and praying it gets bumped up. Taking a lady friend to a concert at Staples, first thing she said on Friday morning was "I want to see your new phone!" I figured I'd have it before the concert, looks like that's not happening now.

Same here. I did exactly what you did, you're also very close to me. Lake Forest and Laguna Niguel got screwed bad.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You still made the mistake of going with at&t even as a backup because they've been known to screw people in the past with the delivery date. Yes, all iPhones were initially showing as unavailable until 12:45 am or so, at which point many of us had to repeat the ordering procedure several times (once finally available) in order to successfully complete it.

16. TheLazy macrumors member

Yeah 12:45 am order in SoCal for plus model.

Sounds like you just don't have the drive the rest of is do to get preorders.

17. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I don't know the OP, but I'm going to disagree with this. I'm in the exact same boat as him. I know I have the drive. I spent 2.5 hours trying to get it to work. Never showed the phone I wanted as available. I don't think it's right to generalize in this scenario.

18. itjw macrumors 65816

So let me see if I understand? Because you had the option to select in store pickup on the 19th, but chose shipping instead, now that shipping is delayed you want the release date instead of the date you got?

Ya. Good luck there.

You'll get it in a few weeks. Apple owes you nothing. Even website delays don't entitle you to anything. You gambled and went to bed without confirmation. That's not anyone's fault (yours included) but in doing so you get what you get.

19. regazoid macrumors newbie

North of LA here. Plinked with online store 'til 12:15 or so. Check these forums, which were also down when first going, to check what may have been the problem.
    Luckily read thread who mentioned iPhone store app was up. Duhoy! Why didn't I think of that. I got same "Unavailable" listing for severe minutes. Tried several configurations, with same result until finally it miraculously changed to available. Got order through close to 12:30 with "Delivers by 9/19"

20. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

I had different phones show in stock but never the Gold 64GB Plus. I had a chance to buy the grey 64GB Plus or the 128GB much earlier. Waited and finally able to order at 2:30. Sucks, but happy I at least got it in.

21. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

SoCal here also. I was able to get in on the App Store at 12:20 but everything was unavailable. I had a feeling that the status was not true. I kept going in and out of the app for 20 minutes. At 12:47 I was able to place an iPhone 6+ order and an iPhone 6 order for my wife. They will both be delivered on the 19th.

I never once thought about going to the AT&T site. Worst-case scenario for me would been lining up at the Apple Store next Friday.

22. mlenger, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

mlenger thread starter macrumors regular

mlenger

Let me clarify - it showed me the option to pick up in the store on the 19th, but when I clicked it it said Att next Orders ( It's the Att financing option ) where not eligible for Store pick up, leaving me NO CHOICE to choose shipping 4 weeks later. That's the only point I am making. as for not trying hard enough - I got up at midnight and tried for 1.5 hours on my computer, iPad and iPhone- trying and trying - refreshing and refreshing - don't see how I could have done more - you either get through or you don't - pretty simple.

23. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Yep. If d rather not preorder if I had to go through att. Then your upgrade is eaten up so you can't wait in line launch day

24. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

SoCal order here. I had issues with the App Store app, but was working fine at 12:45 am. I thought I was able preorder at 12:30am, but my confirmation email came at 12:50am.

25. mlenger thread starter macrumors regular

mlenger

I had two upgrades - used my other one for ATT, so I did not "eat" my upgrade