Got the 13" MBP- It's FAST with the Intel X25-M SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abbas, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Abbas macrumors member

2. vitaeergo macrumors newbie

Firmware

Have you updated the firmware? Just curious as I was unable to use my X25 after the update.

3. richb214 macrumors newbie

Great video...I may have to pick up a SSD for my MBP 13" once the prices come down a bit.

4. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

Seeing that really makes me want an SSD but I can't justify it with the current prices.

5. tsa1 macrumors regular

in the article he talks about the firmware update, but doesnt say if he did it or not.

6. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

I have the same with updated firmware

Mine works fine with the updated firmware.

Speed is about where it should be.

I have no beach-ball issues at all

Everything is pretty fast.

7. Woolcott macrumors member

Woolcott

Hmmm, that's really tempting.

Or at least it would be if the SSD drives I keep seeing weren't so ridiculously expensive.

Maybe once there's an affordable MBP 13" with a 512gb SSD and 8gb of RAM I'll consider upgrading from the model winging its way to me as we type.

8. camflan macrumors member

:rolleyes:

If only they had an affordable 32GB RAM, 4.5Ghz, 1TB SSD (that's 3x faster than the X25M), a 54 hour battery equipped MacBook Air for 699.....

9. Woolcott macrumors member

Woolcott

Exactly my point.

It ain't happening any time soon.

10. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

give it 2-3 years....moore's law, afterall ;)

11. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Maybe this is a dumb question...

But do you think it would be that fast in the 1st gen Alum Unibody MacBook? I've got 4GB ram in mine, would it be that fast or does the new model have something else? The processor isn't that much faster is it? It's the SSD making it run faster, right?

12. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

That X-25M is fast in any MBP both uMBP and even older generation (though less so); i moved mine from a uMB to a 15" uMBP routinely and it made both machines feel about equally fast even though uMB was 2.4 and the uMBP was 2.8....

13. camflan macrumors member

I was making the point that the post previous to mine was retarded. You want tomorrows technology at yesterday's prices.

You get what you pay for, either it's tempting (which it is) because you find value in it at it's current price - or you find it cool, but expensive and not tempting.

14. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Not gonna lie that is pretty amazing and once I get one of the new uMBPs I will definitely get one of those. Nice video btw.

ChrisN

15. Abbas thread starter macrumors member

Yep- firmware has been upgraded and it shows 3GBps now in System Profiler. No issues with using the X25 for me- guess I was one of the lucky ones as I have read quite a few aftermarket drives failing after the update.

@

16. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

where on the link can i watch the vid? It has nothing to do with ssd? Im lost.

17. Abbas thread starter macrumors member

It probably would be. I upgraded to SSD on my MacBook Air about six months ago (what a nightmare that upgrade was) and the notebook felt entirely new and pretty darn fast with loading the O/S and launching apps. Photoshop continued to feel a little slow (because of CPU usage) but anything related to HD was quite zippy. Not as much as the X25 but pretty decent.

@

18. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

As much as I like to pimp out my Macs, I usually hit the RAM first then wait on upgrading the HDD. That way when/if it has to go back to the store, I don't have a whole lot of hassle getting it back to original. Then if it's a keeper, give it 6 months when I'm itching for something new, prices always come down and you feel like you got a whole new computer.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah but to upgrade the HDD in the MBPs is simple.

Now wait until I do my MacMini. That's going to be SOB!

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yes.... Don't remind me.

The point is if you pimp it out from day one, you got nothing to look forward to later. I get bored with them and am always looking for ways to get the love back. Adding a SSD or even a 7200rpm drive from stock really does make it feel like a new machine. I'm starting to tire of the new computer every year thing and......... WTF? No I'm not. I'm going to grab a 13" MBP and off my Nov. '08 15" MBP on tax free weekend in August. That's that. Free iPod Touch for a Christmas present to someone.

I'll keep waiting and watching for the SSD's to drop a little lower. They are every day and one day I'll be weak.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I totally understand that and the SATA issue would affect SSD users (those HDD users just needed something to bitch about).

For the MacMini I think I want a one-stop shot tbh. I think it'll lessen my chances of ***** it up!

22. onedamngoal macrumors member

I upgraded the ram and the hd as soon as I got it a couple of days ago. The only thing I can do now is maybe take it to Colorware and get the screen converted to the Matte Option, and I've also been thinking about installing a Blu-ray Drive in once the I have the funds for it.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well, I think any computer with a SSD installed would be fast, though the in Intel X25-M is only an entry level drive and the Intel® X25-E is almost at lightening speeds!! Having said that, the SSD's on the market now, will be slow after a couple of months compared to what's coming around the corner, the technology is new and still unrefined... give it another year or two.

24. onedamngoal macrumors member

[​IMG]

25. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123