Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I was just approved for Apple Card. I don't know what my current credit score is, and I was wondering if Apple Card users have a way of viewing their credit card via a service offered by Mastercard (I'm assuming), or if I need to go through another service? I know some card issuers off this as a complimentary service.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Do you have other credit cards? Mine through BoA and Chase have it as free features on their respective websites. You can also get it free from CreditKarma. But no, I don’t see any option to view it through Apple Card. Maybe try View Network Benefits under MasterCard in your Wallet app.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Do you have other credit cards? Mine through BoA and Chase have it as free features on their respective websites. You can also get it free from CreditKarma. But no, I don’t see any option to view it through Apple Card. Maybe try View Network Benefits under MasterCard in your Wallet app.
This is the first credit card I've signed up for. I checked the Network Benefits section, but didn't see anything pertaining to credit scores. I know Capital One has their own "CreditWise" app for this purpose. Maybe this will be a forthcoming feature. Thanks for the suggestions.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
+1 for Credit Karma.

Most of my cards offer FICO info as a perk. So does my mortgage company. And my credit union. I can check it in about 6 different places, and the number they report is different in each - not by much, but 3-8 points currently.

Each financial institution has tweaks to their credit scoring process, so they vary by institution... but Credit Karma is a free option that reports FICO well within the range of the others.

Reactions: colodane and dk001

maniacmedia

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
As others have pointed out, Credit Karma is a great free option. It will give you scores from TransUnion and Experian which update weekly in app. Experian has their own app. Credit Sesame is another app option for TransUnion. NerdWallet.com is another option, again only for TransUnion.

Since you're jumping into credit cards, it's good for you to track your credit regularly. If there is an error on your report make sure you get them to correct it. There were dozens of inaccuracies on my report the first time I checked it... so do yourself a favor.

5KDan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Michigan
+1 for Credit Karma.

Most of my cards offer FICO info as a perk. So does my mortgage company. And my credit union. I can check it in about 6 different places, and the number they report is different in each - not by much, but 3-8 points currently.

Each financial institution has tweaks to their credit scoring process, so they vary by institution... but Credit Karma is a free option that reports FICO well within the range of the others.
Credit Karma does NOT report FICO scores. They report Vantage scores - AKA "FAKO," because almost nobody uses these scores to make lending decisions.

My FICO scores are 795 EQ, 779 TU, 803 EX. My FAKO, according to Credit Karma, are 762 EQ and 748 TU. Most of the year, my FAKOs have been significantly lower than my FICOs, which is understandable, since they're very different scoring algorithms.

Reactions: bpeeps and burgman

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Credit Karma does NOT report FICO scores. They report Vantage scores - AKA "FAKO," because almost nobody uses these scores to make lending decisions.

My FICO scores are 795 EQ, 779 TU, 803 EX. My FAKO, according to Credit Karma, are 762 EQ and 748 TU. Most of the year, my FAKOs have been significantly lower than my FICOs, which is understandable, since they're very different scoring algorithms.
Interesting. I never knew that. So it turns out Chase's Credit Journey portal uses the VantageScore, which makes it the same as my CreditKarma TransUnion and Equifax scores. Bank of America's FICO score is powered by TransUnion, but mine is 826 compared to 789 TransUnion on CreditKarma. What gives. Are they taking the same information from TransUnion but interpreting it differently (ie the algorithms you mention)?

5KDan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2017
Michigan
Interesting. I never knew that. So it turns out Chase's Credit Journey portal uses the VantageScore, which makes it the same as my CreditKarma TransUnion and Equifax scores. Bank of America's FICO score is powered by TransUnion, but mine is 826 compared to 789 TransUnion on CreditKarma. What gives. Are they taking the same information from TransUnion but interpreting it differently (ie the algorithms you mention)?
Yes, basically... they weight the components that make up your score differently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VantageScore

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
As others have pointed out, Credit Karma is a great free option. It will give you scores from TransUnion and Experian which update weekly in app. Experian has their own app. Credit Sesame is another app option for TransUnion. NerdWallet.com is another option, again only for TransUnion.

Since you're jumping into credit cards, it's good for you to track your credit regularly. If there is an error on your report make sure you get them to correct it. There were dozens of inaccuracies on my report the first time I checked it... so do yourself a favor.

Tracking regularly folks will get to see just how convoluted / broken our system really is and the wide variation between agencies that report into the credit system. Was an eye-opener.

They should start teaching this in High School.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

Your TransUnion FICO score is 826, Bank of America reports a true FICO. Don't even bother using Chase's Credit Journey. It's not what most lenders use to judge your credit worthiness.

Try a free service like Credit Karma ...

+1 for Credit Karma.

As others have pointed out, Credit Karma is a great free option. It will give you scores from TransUnion and Experian which update weekly in app.

Credit Karma has been great for me.

Credit Karma does NOT show your FICO score, it shows a Vantage Score which lenders do not take into account when they run a credit check. A better option to suggest to the OP is going to AnnualCreditReport.com. You get one free credit check a year and it shows your actual FICO score.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Credit Karma does NOT show your FICO score, it shows a Vantage Score which lenders do not take into account when they run a credit check. A better option to suggest to the OP is going to AnnualCreditReport.com. You get one free credit check a year and it shows your actual FICO score.

There are a lot of options out there.

Credit Karma and other free services are great to see your general credit score.
For FICO I get mine from Chase and Discover whenever I want.
ACR is good but it has limitation the user needs to be aware of.

Reactions: compwiz1202

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

Credit Karma and other free services are great to see your general credit score.

There's a lot of inaccurate information in your comment. You shouldn't even consider Credit Karma for your "general score". My Transunion score is 804, my Equifax Score is 797, and my Vantage Score through Chase shows 741. That's a pretty big difference. And if you read the other posts in here from @5KDan and @myscrnm, they're also showing a 30 to 40 point difference between Vantage and FICO. Vantage is simply not accurate and therefore Credit Karma can be extremely misleading when people check their scores via them.

Chase does NOT report FICO scores, they report Vantage scores. Open the Chase app, go to your Credit Journey and scroll down to the bottom. Read the fine print that shows Chase reports Vantage Score.

Banks/Cards that do report FICO are BofA, Citi, Amex, and Discover.

Reactions: YaBoiD and 5KDan

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There's a lot of inaccurate information in your comment. You shouldn't even consider Credit Karma for your "general score". My Transunion score is 804, my Equifax Score is 797, and my Vantage Score through Chase shows 741. That's a pretty big difference. And if you read the other posts in here from @5KDan and @myscrnm, they're also showing a 30 to 40 point difference between Vantage and FICO. Vantage is simply not accurate and therefore Credit Karma can be extremely misleading when people check their scores via them.

Chase does NOT report FICO scores, they report Vantage scores. Open the Chase app, go to your Credit Journey and scroll down to the bottom. Read the fine print that shows Chase reports Vantage Score.

Barclay's is FICO, as well. They report the TransUnion FICO score.

Reactions: bpeeps

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

Have to disagree. Services like CK are a great way for new users and to get alerts.

As to Chase you are correct. Kind of. I had an older Chase Slate card that did offer that option - FICO. It was discontinued in June 2019. My current Chase Card shows a VantageScore credit score. Currently I use my Discover for that. Didn't think about my AMEX. Thx ;)

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
This one is easy, just go to your wallet, select your Apple Card, click on the three dots right top corner, then click “message”, it takes you to support via iMessage and just ask for the Risk Based Exception Notice Document or Credit Score Notice.

They will ask for your email and then they’ll email you your exact TransUnion score on which you were approve by Goldman Sachs.

LawJolla

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
This one is easy, just go to your wallet, select your Apple Card, click on the three dots right top corner, then click “message”, it takes you to support via iMessage and just ask for the Risk Based Exception Notice Document or Credit Score Notice.

They will ask for your email and then they’ll email you your exact TransUnion score on which you were approve by Goldman Sachs.

Even better, when you apply for the card you can click on "Offer Terms and Conditions" and then "Your Credit Score". It's right there.

Reactions: decypher44

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
This is the first credit card I've signed up for. I checked the Network Benefits section, but didn't see anything pertaining to credit scores. I know Capital One has their own "CreditWise" app for this purpose. Maybe this will be a forthcoming feature. Thanks for the suggestions.
Credit Karma is best. Updates frequently, gives you tips, and doesn't affect your score

Degrandma

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2023

Degrandma

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2023
I did this once and again today and got the same reply from the customer service
Unfortunately we do not run your credit multiple times. We only run credit one time when you first apply. I can still send the Risk Based Exception Notice that we do have from 06/09/2022 if you would like.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Yea even some banks Show FICO with only checking but no cards. And annualcreditreport.com is the only legit one to get the reports truly free once a year. Any of the ones with free in the url are going to try to sell you something.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.