Got to love scalpers.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iRobertM, Sep 17, 2016.

1. iRobertM macrumors regular

2. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

3. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Yeah, seeing a ton of 7+ in PHX on Craigslist today for $1300. Ugh.

4. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

What I would do is setup a similiar posting but sell your 7 Plus 256GB at just $1,100 then setup another sale as a different seller for $1,000 that will drive his price down.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Scalpers are worthless. They have to pay the bills somehow....like actually getting a regular job.

6. Setarip macrumors member

His selling point is "can't wait until November???"

Seriously, if people need to obtain the new iPhone that badly then they deserve to pay the price. It's not a horribly long wait, it's just a phone.

7. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

8. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

I have a great distaste for professional scalpers. But not all listings are such. I preordered the 256 matte black plus hell bent on finally moving from 4.7" to 5.5". Once it arrived, and my apple leather case arrived, I instantly knew I made a mistake. Sure, I could return the phone to Apple, but even though it was sealed in the box, it would have become a refurb unit. Once a phone is tied to an order, even if it is untouched, it cannot be sold off of the shelf again. I will never understand why.

So, I looked at eBay, saw the prices and listed mine. Sold it for $2600. I never put a gun to the head of anyone. If someone with enough cash to wipe their behinds with it wants to pay me that for a phone, have at it. I was happy to oblige.

9. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

people are insane and if you had the matte black and it sold for $2600 imagine a jet black.

i would rather buy a macbook pro for that price tag

10. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Honestly I was stunned. But with eBay, I guess who knows who you are reaching. There are people out there with so much disposable money, far more than I could ever dream of, who want something now and just make it happen. I had promised overnight shipping as an incentive. The ten year wedding anniversary is in 2 weeks. I guess the wife will get an extra special gift this year :)

11. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

it was a win win then lol

12. Justim macrumors 6502

If someone would buy my 6s off eBay that'd be great... the going price is $600, but I'm only asking $540.

13. Elise macrumors 6502

More fool the individual if they are going to pay so much over the actual asking price. Are people really that impatient? It's like dealing with mentality of children.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It may seem crazy to many of you that find the price to be astronomically high, but that is what the market will bear. I am extremely thankful that most of us live in a country with a free market. How would you like to live in a country where you have no freedoms?

As for the person that said to set up a meeting to buy it and then not show, shame on you. You have poor morals and ethics that will backfire on you one day.

15. ZipZap macrumors 601

An unopened box does NOT become a refurb unit. Let's hope that buyer does not work rake you over the eBay coals. I would not spend those funds just yet.

16. iRobertM, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

iRobertM thread starter macrumors regular

I get what some of you are saying but this guy has 4 phone boxes in one picture. So he went around from store to store buying up what he could just to turn a profit leaving those who just wanted a phone high and dry.

17. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

This is why if I sold in the past, I always sell a week or 2 before Apple's announcement... for maximum profit before launch. Just have a cheap secondary phone to hold you over until launch.

18. Jnyce macrumors regular

Saw a listing on eBay for jet black 256 November delivery, guy had 4 sold for 4000 each on preorder day.

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

There are always criminals with drug or bribery funds. They have no problem paying more.

20. foxconn Suspended

i don't like scalpers when it comes to concert tickets because it's actually impossible to get tickets on ticketmaster unless you use a backdoor, but when it comes to iPhones.. don't care. let them flourish.

it was easy to preorder as long as you woke your ass up at the right time. does it suck? ya, but the phone will be available within a few weeks, whereas a concert only comes once or twice a year in that city (if that).

21. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I say let the market dictate what it will bear. Capitalism at its best. When people stop paying those prices, the prices will fall.

22. FoxD macrumors 6502

Easy money, smart to do it IMO. I've done it many times and have a normal job. Missed this year though.

23. Bootleg Gucci macrumors regular

Bootleg Gucci

Wow, that's some quick thinking. I am not sure if I want to keep my Jet Black 7Plus anymore when it arrives 1-2days. For eBay seller protection, were you required to do fully insured package, signature, ship to only PayPal confirmed address? Got to be careful about hacked eBay accounts and charge backs. Once I sold and shipped an item, eBay/PayPal reversed the payment funds a week later after buyer reported his account login was hacked.

24. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It's stories like this where I believe just 1-2 sales inflated sales...and the new phone pays for itself. (Obviously, I not accusing him of doing that.)

And that's why I'm 100% against Apple giving IUP members preference over other pre-order methods if they're going to revamp the current system.

You have a built-in facility whereby it's to easy to leapfrog everyone else and can profiteer the new phones with almost no consequence.

25. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I deplore "pro" scalpers, as well. I would not consider you to be one. Congrats and well done!