Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I deplore "pro" scalpers, as well. I would not consider you to be one. Congrats and well done!
I appreciate that thank you. I had zero intentions on doing such a thing. I want to like the plus for it's advantages so much. But I panicked. I hope next year they provide the larger screen in a smaller overall package.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I have a great distaste for professional scalpers. But not all listings are such. I preordered the 256 matte black plus hell bent on finally moving from 4.7" to 5.5". Once it arrived, and my apple leather case arrived, I instantly knew I made a mistake. Sure, I could return the phone to Apple, but even though it was sealed in the box, it would have become a refurb unit. Once a phone is tied to an order, even if it is untouched, it cannot be sold off of the shelf again. I will never understand why.

So, I looked at eBay, saw the prices and listed mine. Sold it for $2600. I never put a gun to the head of anyone. If someone with enough cash to wipe their behinds with it wants to pay me that for a phone, have at it. I was happy to oblige.

Wow, I'd definitely sell for that amount. That's crazy. Can't believe people would pay that kind of premium versus just waiting a month.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
An unopened box does NOT become a refurb unit. Let's hope that buyer does not work rake you over the eBay coals. I would not spend those funds just yet.
I'm not trying to give inaccurate info so if I am wrong then I apologize. Last year I paid full price online for a 6S just so they would hold it for me in the store. When I got there, I told them I actually wanted to use an upgrade (couldn't do a carrier upgrade online, just full price). He tried to void and redo it as a contract upgrade. The moment he did that, the phone could not be sold to me. He said since it had been tied to a purchase, it could not be resold. That even though the box was still sealed, it would be sent in, the internals rehoused, and used as a replacement device. That's the story I got anyway.
[doublepost=1474210767][/doublepost]
It's stories like this where I believe just 1-2 sales inflated sales...and the new phone pays for itself. (Obviously, I not accusing him of doing that.)

And that's why I'm 100% against Apple giving IUP members preference over other pre-order methods if they're going to revamp the current system.

You have a built-in facility whereby it's to easy to leapfrog everyone else and can profiteer the new phones with almost no consequence.
I agree whole heartedly with you. I'm pleased that this year, Apple at least made you tie a full price purchase to a valid line in your name during the preorder. That at least helped cut down on people buying 5+ devices with no intent other than to sell for profit. That's one small step in the right direction.

Last edited:

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I get what some of you are saying but this guy has 4 phone boxes in one picture. So he went around from store to store buying up what he could just to turn a profit leaving those who just wanted a phone high and dry.
hey just wanted a phone too. thats america screw others to make a profit.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
More fool the individual if they are going to pay so much over the actual asking price. Are people really that impatient? It's like dealing with mentality of children.
Often times having so much money promotes acting childlike. Wants become needs, and self entitlement takes on enormous proportions.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I love my new iPhone 7 plus. But I have no shame. If someone offered me enough money. I would give it to them on the spot!! Even if it meant having no phone for now!! :D

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I sold a $600 vaporizer for $7500. Does that make me bad? I laughed all the way to the bank.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Wow, that's some quick thinking. I am not sure if I want to keep my Jet Black 7Plus anymore when it arrives 1-2days. For eBay seller protection, were you required to do fully insured package, signature, ship to only PayPal confirmed address? Got to be careful about hacked eBay accounts and charge backs. Once I sold and shipped an item, eBay/PayPal reversed the payment funds a week later after buyer reported his account login was hacked.
Yeah I overnighted it Friday before UPS closed. I had side conversations with the guy first via email and then text. He is already using it and left me my feedback. I feel comfortable.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Honestly I was stunned. But with eBay, I guess who knows who you are reaching. There are people out there with so much disposable money, far more than I could ever dream of, who want something now and just make it happen. I had promised overnight shipping as an incentive. The ten year wedding anniversary is in 2 weeks. I guess the wife will get an extra special gift this year :)

That is a nice profit by all means. eBay is becoming a scammers playground though. Now that PayPal offers six months buyers protection, they have longer to file a claim, I.e. The buyer never received the iPhone or the iPhone was defective. Now your account is locked with your funds. It becomes a hassle for you to prove the item was legitimately sold. Their are horror stories I have read in here, where it's almost easier to use Craigslist.

Glad you made a nice dollar though.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Honestly I was stunned. But with eBay, I guess who knows who you are reaching. There are people out there with so much disposable money, far more than I could ever dream of, who want something now and just make it happen. I had promised overnight shipping as an incentive. The ten year wedding anniversary is in 2 weeks. I guess the wife will get an extra special gift this year :)
Congrats on the great windfall on eBay and have a happy anniversary.

I'm astounded people are willing to pay these prices for an iphone a lot of us, myself included, derided for its looks and lack of headphone jack and its sameness of design to the previous two releases.

I guess never underestimate the power of the :apple:

image.jpeg

"I want an IPhone 7 Plus. Jet black please. It has two cameras."

"We don't have any in stock. You need to preorder. Can I interest you in an LG G5? It has dual cameras, too."

"Is that an iPhone? I want an iPhone 7 Plus"

"No, it's not an iPhone. It is an LG. Unlike an IPhone, it has a true two camera system with two sensors. The IPhone 7 Plus just has two lenses."

"I want an IPhone. It has the wifi's. I can download apps to it."

"The LG G5 has a headphone jack and a removable battery."

"I want a jet black IPhone 7 Plus. I want the one with the big GeeBee's please. Can you put a skin on it?"

(That variant on the dialogue I based on the actual spiel I got from the Best Buy salesman yesterday when I stopped in to see the new iPhones but had taken a moment to look at the LG G5. Instead of asking him for an iPhone I took a moment to inquire about the Note 7, instead, because he was being obnoxiously persistent and I knew there were no Note 7's to be had, either. So insisted I wanted a Note 7. It has a stylus. I can write on the screen. And from there I asked about the LG G20, it has the audios. ;) )

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
isn't it risky selling on eBay? cant people just keep the phone and dispute it ? eBay and PayPal normally side with buyers it seems

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Yeah eBay is risky and expensive. Their fees are crazy. I stopped selling on their for those reasons. I had someone once lie and do a charge back after having a device for two months. I was able to make a claim against them also saying they destroyed the phone and got my money back but still it sucks. I now just trade my phones in to Verizon or Best Buy for s gift card. I might loose some money but I don't have to worry about scammers on eBay. That place is full of liars.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I have a great distaste for professional scalpers. But not all listings are such. I preordered the 256 matte black plus hell bent on finally moving from 4.7" to 5.5". Once it arrived, and my apple leather case arrived, I instantly knew I made a mistake. Sure, I could return the phone to Apple, but even though it was sealed in the box, it would have become a refurb unit. Once a phone is tied to an order, even if it is untouched, it cannot be sold off of the shelf again. I will never understand why.

So, I looked at eBay, saw the prices and listed mine. Sold it for $2600. I never put a gun to the head of anyone. If someone with enough cash to wipe their behinds with it wants to pay me that for a phone, have at it. I was happy to oblige.

I'm pretty sure that's misinformation as I highly doubt an iPhone sealed in its box would become a refurbished unit. Nice profit though.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Last year, I sold my existing AT&T phone contract for $800 (unlimited data) and then walked over to T-Mobile and lowered my monthly bill by $42 a month.

My AT&T Unlimited Data Plan was worth it to someone, so they gave me $800 in cash. It's a free market and people can pay whatever they think something is worth.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
Congrats on the great windfall on eBay and have a happy anniversary.

I'm astounded people are willing to pay these prices for an iphone a lot of us, myself included, derided for its looks and lack of headphone jack and its sameness of design to the previous two releases.

I guess never underestimate the power of the :apple:

View attachment 654400

"I want an IPhone 7 Plus. Jet black please. It has two cameras."

"We don't have any in stock. You need to preorder. Can I interest you in an LG G5? It has dual cameras, too."

"Is that an iPhone? I want an iPhone 7 Plus"

"No, it's not an iPhone. It is an LG. Unlike an IPhone, it has a true two camera system with two sensors. The IPhone 7 Plus just has two lenses."

"I want an IPhone. It has the wifi's. I can download apps to it."

"The LG G5 has a headphone jack and a removable battery."

"I want a jet black IPhone 7 Plus. I want the one with the big GeeBee's please. Can you put a skin on it?"

(That variant on the dialogue I based on the actual spiel I got from the Best Buy salesman yesterday when I stopped in to see the new iPhones but had taken a moment to look at the LG G5. Instead of asking him for an iPhone I took a moment to inquire about the Note 7, instead, because he was being obnoxiously persistent and I knew there were no Note 7's to be had, either. So insisted I wanted a Note 7. It has a stylus. I can write on the screen. And from there I asked about the LG G20, it has the audios. ;) )

Hahahaha! This made me think of the video that came out in 2010 between the HTC Evo and the iPhone 4. Still kind of true today, sadly enough... I had to watch again today after seeing that picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.