Got to love the swipe at Gizmodo today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klrobinson999, Jul 16, 2010.

1. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

...in the introductory song video.

That was chosen on purpose just for that take down, I'm sure.

I think the antenna issue is legitimate, but minor, and that the tech world is having a slow time and needed a scandal. The media loves to build things up just to tear them down.

Gizmodo has been a special pain in the ass for Apple, though.
    Enjoy your jail time, Jason Chen!

2. dgstan macrumors 6502a

There was more than just that one swipe at them. They made a comment about "not having to break down doors" and something about someone buying stolen property and posting it on the web.

Like Gizmodo or not, I'm glad they did what they did. If not them, I'm sure the next tech blog that came up on the guy's Google search would have bought it.

3. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

No, the best was the "we didn't have our head in the sand for three months!" Total swipe at BP.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah - and I wonder if the video was planted by them on the net

5. spyder321 macrumors newbie

Actually the guy went to Engadget and got turned down...Gizmodo enjoyed all that Ad money that was rolling in for that week or so with all that iPhone 4 reporting, which great for them short term but long term their ****ed...

6. dogie678 macrumors regular

7. nateharr macrumors 6502

I got banned by one Steven Callas over at Gizmodo for calling out how The Giz was beating the whole thing to death. And I also called out one of the articles for having a false headline that didn't match the article content at all. (The "You Are Not Your Phone" article.)

He told me that by saying that the article title didn't match the article that I must have not read the article at all. And he claimed I was bitching about an article I didn't read.

At first he "disenvoweled" me. Then I called his move clever, but said how it was sad and showed the maturity of what Gizmodo had become in recent months.

He then proceeded to ban me saying "some people just don't get it" and he "disenvoweled" my second post.

I laugh because all the most recent articles have almost all the comments either in denial and defending Gizmodo ridiculously, or they express my feelings exactly.

I wonder why Steven isn't so abrupt in banning everyone else. By the standards in which he banned me, almost half or more commenters on Gizmodo should now be banned.

8. Sinfire macrumors regular

They may just be banning people with working iPhones. If too many people started posting how great their iPhone 4 works, then they wouldn't be able to continue their anti-apple compaign.

9. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Gizmodo had me clicking on their site like crazy when they ran the story on their stolen prototype. But since that time, I visit the site less and less (and I was a regular reader). Being in the bad graces of Apple means they are not going to have any 1st person coverage of anything Apple and because of the lawsuit they can't comment on certain Apple stories. And not to mention the bad taste their actions left me with... Rather than gain readership, I think they are becoming less and less relevant. There are plenty of other gadget sites to visit. I thought all of the publicity would be good for their site but I think in the long run they made a bad decision, business-wise.

10. Sinfire macrumors regular

Don't forget the.... "Sometimes websites buy stolen prototypes and put them on the web...."

I also liked how Gizmodo's Jason Chen left out details in their live feed today.

For example: When asked for an apology...

[Gizmodo Feed]
    Jason Chen:
    When asked whether he’s going to make an apology to Apple investors, he says no, he has no apology.

[GDGT feed]
    10:46AM - Q: Your investors seem to want you to make an apology of some sort — would you be willing to do that?
    A Steve: [Long pause] To our customers who are affected by the issue, we are deeply sorry, and we are going to give you a free case or a full refund. We want investors who invest in Apple for the long haul, because they believe in us. To those investors who bought the stock and are down by $5, I have no apology. If we hit a bump in the road, it’s like having kids.

Pretty obvious that Gizmodo is out to take Apple down.

11. nateharr macrumors 6502

To me Gizmodo has become a mudslinging tabloid of an excuse for "journalism."

It's just like reading that Perez Hilton trash. They're are just out for themselves and don't care who's image they tarnish.

I say screw 'em.

12. nenarek macrumors newbie

Gizmodo has a history of behaving badly. Does anyone remember their antics at CES a few years ago?

http://www.rlslog.net/gizmodo-remotely-shutting-lcds-at-ces-banned/

13. jiffy macrumors newbie

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

If you can ignore their skewing of the facts.

15. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

A lot of tech websites have their draw. Gizmodo draws readers through their childish antics just as Engadget draws readers through their Apple fanboyism.

16. Ninjasrule macrumors member

agreed. You guys love to crucify a site so black and white. Gizmodo used to be all fanboyish- they ooed and awed about the original iphones, owning a macbook, iMac accessories. I would tie their popularity before the iphone 4 prototype to their excessive Apple coverage. Even me, a self admitted fanboy got tired of logging onto their blog. I check Engadget and Gizmodo equally now.

Then the prototype happened. I don't know how many websites/blogsites would have turned an opportunity to show it off. I personally think it was in bad taste to show it online and then try to pretend it was legit journalism. (it seemed down right sleazy). But they made a big mistake (like the CES show) and now they will pay for it. Definitely not jail time tho.

I have noticed their site after the apple backlash has been definitely skewed more anti apple than before. But it is fair. So to summarize, before prototype- Apple fanboy and now after, neutral.

17. dgstan macrumors 6502a

What keeps me coming back to Gizmodo is the quality and humor of their commentors. Engadget's comments read like a junior high yearbook, while Gizmodo's are much more thoughtful and adult.

18. falconeight Guest

falconeight

There needs to be a warning on blogs saying that it is news as they see it and no real reporting or investigation were done in the gathering of info.

19. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Gizmodo's site ( I went there for the first time today ) looks like the wall of an inner city Boys Bathroom of a Middle School.

For the record, I have never been to Endgadget.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Buying property you know to belong to someone else is illegal. Also paying for the story and property is unethical and tablod tactics.

21. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

no offense but... all the fanboiz on this site sound like the little kid on the playground talking big like.."My friend (apple) is huge for a fifth grader and he's gonna beat you up (gizmo) for being a bully"

22. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I agree with the first statement ;)

As an informative tech blog, they really just suck. They used to fawn over Apple products. Yet, when the police raided Chen's home for buying stolen property, they IMMEDIATELY began to kiss Google's ass. And big time too. Multiple posts per day, talking about how Google had "leap-frogged" Apple, though the iPhone 4 introduction was imminent. They are totally biased, unprofessional, and immature. I stick to Engadget. They deliver the tech news that Giz reports about the next day.

23. inket macrumors regular

inket

Yeah, I totally agree. It would be great if they were neutral but ever since that "story" they became Anti-Apple (commenters aswell), bashing them on every article for no reason, it became annoying.

Now, I consider them as the "spam" of tech blogs, they make articles about EVERYTHING. It wouldn't surprise me if I saw an article named "iPhone 4 has a button. True story, with photos." They just want to throw in the iPhone tag for pageviews.

24. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I agree with your post as well :)

They are just so angered after the whole debacle, that upping page views, and attempting to sway Apple supporters is their mission. I actually used to enjoy Giz a lot, and not too long ago either. The blog was somewhat funny, provided well-written reviews and news, but now it's just garbage, and they have an agenda.

25. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yeah, I think steve is understandably irked that he and Apple have received more criticism over the past month over a cell phone than tony heyward and BP have received for killing 11 people, destroying an ecosystem and putting thousands out of work.

I for one am furious that Obama has not demanded Steve put aside $20 billion to resolve this issue.