Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

got your C2D MBP? please tell us....

shecky

Guest
Original poster
May 24, 2003
2,580
5
Obviously you're not a golfer.
.... a few things here:

-heating?
-any mooing?
-does the wifi card show up as 802.11n under windows?
-model number+manufacturer of the hard drive? (under system profiler)
-airport reception?
-real-life battery use w/ the apps you use?
-is the GPU underclocked?

and lastly, i just want to get a physical confirmation that the new units do not have the easy access HD bay, which everyone THINKS they do not, but nobody actually knows yet.

(thanks to rocketman for his post here)

EDIT: added GPU question
 

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
99
0
Troy, MI
shecky said:
.... a few things here:

-heating?
-any mooing?
-does the wifi card show up as 802.11n under windows?
-model number+manufacturer of the hard drive? (under system profiler)
-airport reception?
-real-life battery use w/ the apps you use?

and lastly, i just want to get a physical confirmation that the new units do not have the easy access HD bay, which everyone THINKS they do not, but nobody actually knows yet.

(thanks to rocketman for his post here)


I can tell you later tonight.

I just got back from the local Apple store.

I bought a 15 inch 2.16 last Friday, returned it this morning for the 15 inch 2.33 (both top 15 inch model.)

My boss won't let me bring it into the office :(, but I shall report back this evening....

FYI, the Apple store I was in today got 5-6 of the lower end 15 inch model, and I bought the "only" top end unit they got in.

I was standing at the counter, asking for a refund, (they were not expecting to get the new models until tomorrow) when one of the guys came out of the back with the new models right off the truck....I guess I lucked out...

Their "cheat sheet" says they will not get any 17 inch models until early next week.

Later,
Brian
 
Comment

aaronfzr

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
108
0
stores are only getting small shipments of a few units at a time? :eek:

hope regent st gets in some decent stocks...or at least, decent enough til last after i walk out with mine :D
 
Comment

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
99
0
Troy, MI
aaronfzr said:
stores are only getting small shipments of a few units at a time? :eek:

hope regent st gets in some decent stocks...or at least, decent enough til last after i walk out with mine :D

I cannot speak for all stores, but that is what I observed at the Troy, Michigan (Somerset Mall) location.
 
Comment

iBorg20181

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
281
0
Minneapolis, MN
bcavanau said:
FYI, the Apple store I was in today got 5-6 of the lower end 15 inch model, and I bought the "only" top end unit they got in.

I was standing at the counter, asking for a refund, (they were not expecting to get the new models until tomorrow) when one of the guys came out of the back with the new models right off the truck....I guess I lucked out...

All I can say is ..... "YOU LUCKY $#@*&^^%!"

:p
iBorg
 
Comment

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
306
4
Right There --->
bcavanau said:
I can tell you later tonight.

I just got back from the local Apple store.

I bought a 15 inch 2.16 last Friday, returned it this morning for the 15 inch 2.33 (both top 15 inch model.)
...
Later,
Brian
Which City, Country?
 
Comment

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
99
0
Troy, MI
UPDATE:

I am in the final stages of Installing OS X, which by the way the restore disks are 10.4.8. (I always like to start fresh, call me nuts)

Things I have noticed so far.

- There is definately no removable HD bay.
- Case has not changed, with only exception being new FW800 Port.
- I have no dead pixels.
- No screen whine, mooing, excessive fan noise. (even DVD drive seems quiter).
- Hard drive (120GB) is Fujitsu MHW2120BH
- DVD Drive (6X-DVD-DL) is Matshita UJ-857D
- Heat seems to be about the same, however I have not done anything taxing.
- Airport reception seems to be consistent with previous model. I never tested distance, but signal strength is the same on my desk.

View screen captures here--->http://lartren.com/mac

Battery performance will come in time, as I need to do a full charge/condition then put it under a load, etc...I expect a few days to really be able to judge the battery.

Is there a way to determing GPU clock settings within OS X? I am not sure I will get to putting XP on there tonight.

Anything else you wanna know/see, please let me know...
 
Comment

bluetorch18

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2006
155
0
bcavanau said:
UPDATE:

I am in the final stages of Installing OS X, which by the way the restore disks are 10.4.8. (I always like to start fresh, call me nuts)

Things I have noticed so far.

- There is definately no removable HD bay.
- Case has not changed, with only exception being new FW800 Port.
- I have no dead pixels.
- No screen whine, mooing, excessive fan noise. (even DVD drive seems quiter).
- Hard drive (120GB) is Fujitsu MHW2120BH
- DVD Drive (6X-DVD-DL) is Matshita UJ-857D
- Heat seems to be about the same, however I have not done anything taxing.
- Airport reception seems to be consistent with previous model. I never tested distance, but signal strength is the same on my desk.

View screen captures here--->http://lartren.com/mac

Battery performance will come in time, as I need to do a full charge/condition then put it under a load, etc...I expect a few days to really be able to judge the battery.

Is there a way to determing GPU clock settings within OS X? I am not sure I will get to putting XP on there tonight.

Anything else you wanna know/see, please let me know...

I don't think there is a way to determine GPU clocks in OS X...if it isn't too much to ask can you please install XP tonight to check it for me? I really would like to know and that is the only thing thats stopping me from pulling the trigger...thanks.
 
Comment

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
99
0
Troy, MI
bluetorch18 said:
I don't think there is a way to determine GPU clocks in OS X...if it isn't too much to ask can you please install XP tonight to check it for me? I really would like to know and that is the only thing thats stopping me from pulling the trigger...thanks.


I am running boot camp as I type this :)

Once I get XP up and running, how exactly do I determing clock speeds? Will windows tell me, or do I need a third party app?
 
Comment

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
bcavanau said:
UPDATE:

I am in the final stages of Installing OS X, which by the way the restore disks are 10.4.8. (I always like to start fresh, call me nuts)

Things I have noticed so far.

- There is definately no removable HD bay.
- Case has not changed, with only exception being new FW800 Port.
- I have no dead pixels.
- No screen whine, mooing, excessive fan noise. (even DVD drive seems quiter).
- Hard drive (120GB) is Fujitsu MHW2120BH
- DVD Drive (6X-DVD-DL) is Matshita UJ-857D
- Heat seems to be about the same, however I have not done anything taxing.
- Airport reception seems to be consistent with previous model. I never tested distance, but signal strength is the same on my desk.

View screen captures here--->http://lartren.com/mac

Battery performance will come in time, as I need to do a full charge/condition then put it under a load, etc...I expect a few days to really be able to judge the battery.

Is there a way to determing GPU clock settings within OS X? I am not sure I will get to putting XP on there tonight.

Anything else you wanna know/see, please let me know...

Very very cool of you to keep us all updated. Congrats on your new MBP, im getting the same one! I to am curious if they got all the bugs worked out on this revision. And id like to know if the new HD is perpendicular? ;) :p
 
Comment

bcavanau

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2006
99
0
Troy, MI
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.