Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mt44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Restored and refired the 11 Pro Max as I’m giving my 12 PM to my wife. Planning to buy a 13 PM.

But I Gotta say: the 11 PM feels much better in hand. The tapered edges make it feel much thinner. Surprised how much I actually prefer it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Restored and refired the 11 Pro Max as I’m giving my 12 PM to my wife. Planning to buy a 13 PM.

But I Gotta say: the 11 PM feels much better in hand. The tapered edges make it feel much thinner. Surprised how much I actually prefer it.

I love the size of the 12PM but prefer the feel of the 11PM to.
Really wish they had not flattened the sides on the 12PM.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I only have the 8+ around for comparison but still prefer the feel of the flat edges of the 12 PM.

Reactions: Mt44

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I am still leaning towards upgrading to the iPhone 13 or 12S (whichever it will be called) but yesterday went to apple to get my screen replaced because it was got cracked. Found out that the Face ID sensor also got damaged during the accident so I got a brand new replacement 11 pro max 256 GB for 30 bucks. Was suppose to pay 100 bucks but for some reason Apple only charged me 30.

I say all that to say the iphone 11 pro max is still an awesome phone despite not having 5G. Still super powerful and has a great battery life and like you all say, the design is REALLY good. Since I just got a brand new replacement 11 pro max with a new battery and all, the iPhone 13 really needs to have some solid features to make me upgrade now lol. Otherwise, I think I might be fine with keeping me 11 pro Max another year.

Mt44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I am still leaning towards upgrading to the iPhone 13 or 12S (whichever it will be called) but yesterday went to apple to get my screen replaced because it was got cracked. Found out that the Face ID sensor also got damaged during the accident so I got a brand new replacement 11 pro max 256 GB for 30 bucks. Was suppose to pay 100 bucks but for some reason Apple only charged me 30.

I say all that to say the iphone 11 pro max is still an awesome phone despite not having 5G. Still super powerful and has a great battery life and like you all say, the design is REALLY good. Since I just got a brand new replacement 11 pro max with a new battery and all, the iPhone 13 really needs to have some solid features to make me upgrade now lol. Otherwise, I think I might be fine with keeping me 11 pro Max another year.
$30!!

I need in on that deal.

Reactions: snipr125

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I've been using a 11 Pro Max for 2 years - feel is awesome! But I also used a regular 12 for a little bit and thought it was great as well (the reduced size and weight).

I do think the rounded edges feel better tough

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We have come to the iPH 11 PM from the Google Pixel 3a XL. Before that we had the iPhone 6s and 6s+. The 6s+ is my secondary phone.

I must say that in comparison the 11PM is thicker. I've never been a fan of the rounded edges, but if I have to choose, my 6s+ still feels better.

That's not to say I don't like my 11PM, I do. I just didn't expect it to be thicker than the 6s+ and my Pixel.

I wanted the 12PM, but the monthly price difference (we have an EIP (Equipment Installment Plan)) was $50 more ($25/phone) that I was willing to pay. I don't feel I am missing anything though as 5G really isn't a thing yet and this is the last LTE-capable iPhone model. I feel that I am probably benefitting from the years of incremental LTE tech advances.

Eventually we will get the 12PM or the next newer iPhone with flat sides - as an old iPhone 5 owner I've always liked that. But for now, the 11PM suits us just fine.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
$30!!

I need in on that deal.

I guess I should have mentioned I have Applecare+ ha. So with that a screen replacement is only 30 dollars but when me and Apple tech in store did the diagnostic, that's when I found out the Face ID sensor was also damaged. They were like well "we are going to replace the phone it would be 99 dollars but the system is only going to charge you 30". I was like COOL!!! I did mention that I was thinking of upgrading this year to the iphone 13 or 12S. They were like well if you trade in this replacement phone you will get the max trade in credit for sure 500 or so dollars. I was like cool!!

Reactions: snipr125

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I think the history of the flat-sided iPhones is a mixed one at this point. The first one, the iPhone 4 series, I still consider one of their greatest phones. Smaller of course, but also thicker, which mitigated the flat sides. Great ratio of weight to thickness to sides.

The 5 series I liked less. It got thinner, and that to me made the (uncased) sides a little less comfortable. First world problem.

But the 5c got it dead on. Flat sides with the rounded corners. "Unapologetically plastic." A joy to hold uncased, and a little bit heavier than the stage-prop-light 5S. Perfect marriage of holdability, comfort, and grippiness. And I was a fan of the colors. Gosh I miss the 5c.

Then when the 6 came out, I felt it was a drop waiting to happen. No flat sides to solidify the grip, at the time the matte aluminum I think. And of course the camera bulge...I don't think I'm returning to caseless carry again. That makes me sad. Because of the camera bump, even now that it has gone back to flat sides, it won't matter because I'd have a case.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I think the history of the flat-sided iPhones is a mixed one at this point. The first one, the iPhone 4 series, I still consider one of their greatest phones. Smaller of course, but also thicker, which mitigated the flat sides. Great ratio of weight to thickness to sides.

The 5 series I liked less. It got thinner, and that to me made the (uncased) sides a little less comfortable. First world problem.

But the 5c got it dead on. Flat sides with the rounded corners. "Unapologetically plastic." A joy to hold uncased, and a little bit heavier than the stage-prop-light 5S. Perfect marriage of holdability, comfort, and grippiness. And I was a fan of the colors. Gosh I miss the 5c.

Then when the 6 came out, I felt it was a drop waiting to happen. No flat sides to solidify the grip, at the time the matte aluminum I think. And of course the camera bulge...I don't think I'm returning to caseless carry again. That makes me sad. Because of the camera bump, even now that it has gone back to flat sides, it won't matter because I'd have a case.

Gotta agree with you here, the 5C felt awesome in hand.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I tried upgrading from the 5 to the 5C to save some $$ and didn't like how greasy it felt. It was summer in Wisconsin and the cool aluminum of the 5S just felt so much better.

Back on topic, I agree about the feel of the 11 vs. the 12. I was helping my BIL with his 11 Pro in the leather case I had passed on to him and realized how much more comfortable that setup was than my 12 Pro in leather. The Apple leather dulls down those sharp edges quite a bit but the difference is still huge.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore

Everybody has their own opinion.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

You are super lucky

I don’t care much for 5G, I have 5G on my secondary phone (Huawei Mate 40 Pro) which is great, however I work form home and am on my Fibre internet (200Mbps up and 200Mbps down) pretty much all day which is more than enough for me to stream 4K content, work with video calls on MS Teams and use our works digital platforms to do my work. The hilarious thing is that I have full 5G coverage in my apartment but when I leave and go to certain parts of my province my 5G phone drops to 4G+ most times, so my iPhone 11 Pro Max serves me great as my primary phone with just 4G.

Going back to your point, the 11 Pro Max is still a great phone indeed and i to am tempted to keep it another year, mine is at 87% health yet I still get over 9hours SOT, this phone is phenomenal in its battery endurance.

The 12S/13/whatever they call it needs to truly impress me to get it, otherwise I’ll just get a battery replacement, cancel my contract, move to prepaid and wait it out until the 2022/2023 iPhones.

With all that being said, I love the size of 12 Pro Max and wish the 11 Pro Max was that size, the 12 Pro Max screen is absolutely glorious and also the 12 Pro Max camera is seriously good from what I have seen from my mates 12PM.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I loved the rounded glass and edges on the 11P vs the 12P. The flat edges dig into hands. Using the iphone 8 for the past month and I like how it feels better than my 12P.
Pretty Sure we will see a return to rounded iPhones soon enough. They are more ergonomic. The 13 series being rumored to be heavier and thicker is just sad

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I had both the 11pm and now the 12pm. I prefer the flat edges. It feels steady in my hands. The 11pm was nice as well but did not fit my hand as the 12pm does. I guess its just personal preference.

5x10

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2018
I went from the 11 pm to the 12 pm
kinda regret it
11 had better battery, not even close
12 has been dimming outside, even though it shows full brightness
after a few mins, it will actually reflect full brightness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.