GPS and iPads...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by inhaliburton, Apr 24, 2012.

1. inhaliburton macrumors newbie

I have the iPad 3 with 4g and am new to this, so very newbie question.

Does the iPad have a GPS receiver, or chip, similar to a dedicated GPS device?

Mine works properly only when tethered to my Galaxy S.

Is there a GPS program, say from Garmin, that will allow this? Reason I ask is, when tethered, my "data" is being used up.

Thank you,

Paul.

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It has, as it's a 4G model.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

The chip is only half the equation. Unless you have an app loaded on your iPad that contains maps of your current area, there's no way to visualize where you are. That's why your GPS only seems to "work properly" when tethered, because the tethering allows it access map data in real time. You can buy any number of map sets ranging from a couple of dollars to $50, $60 or more.

This is a free map set (just maps, not directions), not very elegant but it gets the job done:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/you-need-a-map/id415545903?mt=8

4. inhaliburton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! In a sentence you have cleared up something I have been pondering for 2 years! This subject has likely been dealt with many time, but I have not been able to find an answer to my specific query.

I'll try the one you have suggested.

Are there others that can be recommended that behave like a "real" GPS?

I don't mind paying for a program that would work well.

I've been using Google Maps, which is okay, but I find that I often overshoot the correct turn, or and headed in the wrong direction. Audio would help...

Regards, Paul.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I'd suggest try NAVIGON, it's done wonders for me. Plus it's a universal app, if you ever get an iPhone no need to pay twice for it. It allows you to download only the maps you need to your device for offline use and it's just a great app IMO.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Navigon, Tom Tom, CoPilot etc. You might want to refer to some of the existing GPS threads for more suggestions on nav apps with locally stored map data.

Sometimes being too specific will keep you from finding what you're looking for. The above info applies to any GPS device. All the GPS receiver does is determine latitude, longitude, altitude and time. Everything else comes from the app/map data.

7. big samm macrumors 65816

I also suggest navigon, a universal app in case you have a iPhone.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Try NAVFREE. As the name implies, it is free and you can choose what maps to download, as they take up alot of space. There used to be an app called NDrive, which I believe was the predecessor to NAVFREE that downloaded the entire US, but it was pulled from the AppStore and in some cases deleted from devices (I still have it). It works well, and because it doesn't need a data connection, you won't have issues with the map not updating if you're in an area of poor coverage. The downside is that there may be new roads that are not on the downloaded maps.

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I agree with the Navigon choice. Over time I've purchased Navigon, TomTom and MotionX Drive. That's a lot of $ on their early pricing.

TomTom was a massive disappointment. It couldn't provide sane directions to save its life.

MotionX Drive requires a data connection. Yes, you can save route maps ahead of time but forget changing routes or searching or you'll need a data connection again.

I originally got Navigon because I had a hardware GPS of their and I liked their approach to navigation. I wasn't thrilled when they pulled out of the North American GPS market but the app did a nice job. It used to require that you download the entire map set (about 1GB) to use it. Now it allows you to pick regions. It has improved over time and is the best I've used thus far.

On the down-side, I specifically chose a Navigon GPS last over Garmin because I didn't like Garmin's business practices of putting a dozen GPS units out at a time and offering various features across different units with basically the same hardware. Then they don't provide firmware updates for the units even when issues exist in the operating system. They basically chuck out a GPS and then abandon it moving on to the next dozen releases. (I've had two Garmin units that weren't worth a damn at all but they promised to fix it with firmware updates. They didn't.) I've had 6 Garmins over about 9 years and I got tired of it. Now, after using Navigon last month, I see Garmin has bought Navigon out. :( So, based on Garmin's track record, I expect to see a half dozen mediocre apps with various functionality that expire and need to buy a new app.

10. inhaliburton thread starter macrumors newbie

All very good info for myself and others too, I'm sure. Thank you.

I should also mention that I live in Ontario, Canada, and have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx that has been sitting in a drawer for the past 5 years or so. I also purchased a bunch of topo maps at that time, too. I stopped using the Garmin as a GPS device in the car because of the small screen and it was a pain programming.

Maybe it's time to resurrect the thing and possibly use it in conjunction with the iPad? Is that possible?

Regards, Paul.

11. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Navigon works great on my iPad 3 4G... If you need gps, make sure the cell radio is flipped on.. Even if you don't have a iPad plan.