gps + apps do not support elevation?

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
OK so i deleted the rungap upload to strava, exported the gps data using rungap on phone, which emailed me the gps data. I then uploaded the file to strava manually and I was able to see this when clicking on "Elevation" (which was 0ft initially)
Again .. unless your RunGap activity shows Nike+ as the source, you don't have GPS data. All you have is a GPX file with activity data like HR, Distance, etc. There isn't any GPS data in Health.

Are you seeing a map in Strava?

I have done five runs using the NRC app and RunGap and the export to Strava worked perfectly each time. Have you deleted the activity in RunGap that lists Health as the source?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
As stated in my previous post. There is no elevation data. Strava is calculating it off topographic survey info overlaid on the GPS track.
There should be elevation data in GPX & TCX files. They can either be from a barometric altimeter or from the GPS calculations in 3-D space. You can see your corrected (from topological data) and non-corrected (from GPS data) in Garmin Express if you have a watch without a barometric altimeter. The two are actually reasonably close.

chrixtopher

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Update.

I treid several more runs with NRC on watch. No elevation, no map. I uninstalled NRC on iphone (which auto removed from watch) and redownloaded on phone, and installed on watch.

I now seem to be getting tracklog / map on NRC with watch runs. I still have no elevation. Teardown show AW does have barometer as well....

Losing faith in this device as a serious run gps device.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you want your data in Strava, why not just run with Strava app? Does using Nike have any advantages?

Yes, teardowns show a barometer in Apple Watch, but it appears it's not enabled. So in order to get elevation data, you need to run with the phone. So far I haven't been able to get Nike to track elevation and heart rate at the same time. Start Nike app on the watch gets me heart rate but no elevation, start on the phone and I get elevation but no heart rate. I'll try again to confirm. Using Workout gets me both elevation and heart rate, but I'm not sure if you can export that data to Strava.

chrixtopher

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
If you want your data in Strava, why not just run with Strava app? Does using Nike have any advantages?
Just so i dont have to carry my phone. If strava gets off their arse and makes a strava watch-only app, i am all over it. They would have to also increase the swimming capabilities in strava, severely lacking.

deeddawg

macrumors 604
Jun 14, 2010
US
I now seem to be getting tracklog / map on NRC with watch runs. I still have no elevation. Teardown show AW does have barometer as well...
Interesting that it does have a barometric sensor, but it seems to go unused.

Either way it's irrelevant to whether the watch records elevation data. Many GPS watches without any barometric hardware record GPS elevation data (albeit with its inherent inaccuracy).

From what I can see of NRC workouts exported to Garmin Connect or Strava (via RunGap), there's plenty of HR data incorporated but no elevation data. Still, those sites typically do elevation corrections against USGS data anyway so I end up with elevation info after the fact.

It's pretty clear at this point that while the hardware platform seems decent enough, the software options have a good ways to go. I'd suggest anyone truly needing a "serious" running watch would do best to look elsewhere at the moment.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I just pulled up NRC on my iPhone 7 plus and my last run shows 79ft elevation gain. I had my watch and iPhone with me as I always do when running.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
I suspect that Nike ran out of time and did not get all of the testing and development done. I bet it gets cleaned up over the next few months.