Gps Extra!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone529, Jun 10, 2008.

1. iphone529 macrumors regular

Do you think that GPS will be an extra cost, it is for most other carriers.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I am pretty sure it will be included free of cost (with the 3G data plan though, obviously).

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

no it will all be included.

4. iphone529 thread starter macrumors regular

In ATT's press release they stated:

Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
    $30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail

This leads me to believe that GPS is not included, just like SMS is not included.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

GPS is included.
    It doesn't cost AT&T any money to have GPS. They're not creating the maps, and they have nothing to do with the positioning service.

6. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

If GPS isnt included, they need to ditch ATT... end of story.

7. iphone529 thread starter macrumors regular

the letter also states "AT&T is working with Apple to roll out GPS-enabled applications."

This also leads me to think that AT&T will add some cost for GPS

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Google Maps falls under data. The GPS itself is a public service.

9. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    but what about gps turn-by-turn directions with voice? included?

10. saxamoophone macrumors regular

depends what you are buying.

if at&t has telenav on the iphone as an option, they typically charge $5 a month for that software.

11. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

GPS is definitely included which beats the $10 AT&T charges a month for the AT&T Navigator.

13. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

AT&T can't charge for GPS -- we paid for those satellites with our tax dollars, the government owns them. That's why there's no monthly charge when you buy a Garmin or something similar.

What carriers will sometimes charge for is their direction service, which is a piece of software they put on the phone that utilizes GPS. But the iPhone already has Google Maps for basic maps, and you could buy your own Tom-Tom software for more advanced stuff.

14. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

the GPS is included in the iPhone. You just need Software for the gps, for this you could buy the Tom Tom software or any other 3rd party gps software, I'm sure there will be options. Because of the iPhone platform, you will not need to use the AT&T software, that is unless apple denies TomTom and other satnav software companies access to the iPhone because of some contract with AT&T, which is highly unlikely

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think i read that this application will be a yellow pages.

But since its A-GPS and the signal is going through the cell towers...Can someone explain A-GPS to me better? It sounds good, but is there like a catch that I haven't caught yet?

16. admanimal macrumors 68040

Basically it just means that some of the processing required to do the GPS triangulation is offloaded to servers, which speeds it up and can make it more accurate under poor GPS signal conditions. So yes, A-GPS does require the use of cell towers. Having this assistance is much better for a GPS on a cell phone. It doesn't make the localization less accurate as many people on here yesterday thought; in fact it can improve it.

That said, I do not think AT&T is going to charge extra for it.

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

So if I wanted to use my iPhone to go geocaching, would it be accurate enough?

HTML:
    http://www.geocaching.com/faq/
    For those of you who don't know what that is.

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

The iPhone's GPS should be as accurate as any other GPS.

19. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Alright, very good! That is all I wanted to know. I'm thinking I will get this new iPhone than.

20. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Ugh, would people stop with the FUD? OMG, I think ring tones are going to cost more money because apple didn't mention it in the keynote!!!oneoneone

Seriously guys, just calm down.

21. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Calm down bro. People are just in this forum trying to talk and find out more about everything. No one, atleast in this thread, is asking obscene questions, or things that aren't relevant. This is an online forum where people come to talk about their knowledge, and doubt, and try and find more out about everything. Your post was not necessary.

22. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Huh? I was making a joke. The OP was jumping to conclusions and spreading FUD so I decided to illustrate how silly this all is using an example. Calm down yourself. Talk about unnecessary posts, how about you actually talk about the subject instead of engage in personal attacks?

23. archi17 macrumors regular

The GPS is free to use. It just pulls some numbers from the satellites and puts them on google maps. then google maps uses the ATT to get the pretty maps from back at google. SO therefore it is just using data which is included in the unlimited data plan.

24. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

Hey, A nice geocaching app would be perfect for the iPhone. Log your finds and geotag your photos of the hunt!

25. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The included camera app in the iphone actually includes the location data in the meta data of the photos.