Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Hey, A nice geocaching app would be perfect for the iPhone. Log your finds and geotag your photos of the hunt!

That is a great idea. I would write that if i had enough knowledge to...which i dont. Someone else should :).

Shannighan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Buffalo, NY
you dont need a plan for gps, it doesnt use cell tech.
do you think portable gps would be as popular as they are if they had a monthly fee?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Its so you can know where you took the picture. So like if you took a picture and 2 years later you're looking at it and you're wondering where you took it you'll be able to know.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Its so you can know where you took the picture. So like if you took a picture and 2 years later you're looking at it and you're wondering where you took it you'll be able to know.

Good stuff. I like it.

There is functionality on some sites where you can post on a map where your pictures were taken. You can click on the location and the picture will load

That's pretty awesome. So someone could make a really cool app to load pictures onto there, and then be able to view everything.

All very interesting.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Huh? I was making a joke. The OP was jumping to conclusions and spreading FUD so I decided to illustrate how silly this all is using an example. Calm down yourself. Talk about unnecessary posts, how about you actually talk about the subject instead of engage in personal attacks?

I hear sometimes on Macrumor threads where there are people engaging in personal attacks, the conversation turns uphill and people start talking about the subject of the thread....

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I hear sometimes on Macrumor threads where there are people engaging in personal attacks, the conversation turns uphill and people start talking about the subject of the thread....

And then someone comes in and makes a completely useless observation in an attempt to troll...

Anyway, I'm wondering if the GPS works if you can't get a cell signal or wifi signal to speed up the process. I'm assuming it will (in the odd event you are out in the middle of no where with your iphone).

illuminous

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
I just hope that they included an option to turn off the assisted side of the GPS, so no network is required. Certainly save us pay as you go customers some data costs.

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
Before the last month or so, I've didn't know that GPS ever came without spoken turn-by-turn directions. I've never researched them and never played with any that weren't installed in cars. So, I started searching to see what the TomTom software costs for Windows Mobile devices. I know that nobody knows how much it will be, but I have a feeling that it will be fairly pricey. I found this as an example:

TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 Software & Maps for Windows Mobile PPC, Palm, Symbian S60 and UIQ (USA & Canadian Maps) - $129.95 at http://www.simoncells.com/3927-cellular-item.html

Once again, I know that we don't know what it will cost, but does this look like something comparable to what it would do functionally on the iPhone?

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
And then someone comes in and makes a completely useless observation in an attempt to troll...

Anyway, I'm wondering if the GPS works if you can't get a cell signal or wifi signal to speed up the process. I'm assuming it will (in the odd event you are out in the middle of no where with your iphone).

All the wifi and cell towers do is narrow down your location just as they do now on the Map app on iPhone. This assists the GPS in narrowing down your location for satellite acquisition. Without wifi or cell, it may take longer to find you if the GPS has been turned off, but it will work fine once established.

When I bought my first GPS a few years back, I had to manually select my location before acquiring a signal or it could take up to 10 minutes. This Winter when I took my year old GPS from San Diego to Oregon and turned it on the first time there, it took several minutes to acquire my location. With assisted GPS it would have immediately recognized my approximate area and began looking for the proper satellites.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

Such is the uphill struggle of any thread, whether GPS or not :) Sysiphusian sometimes.

Pre-caching is a possibility, so the map data is there for the GPS. The A-GPS can be independent of the wifi and cell signal.

That 10 minute wait is the almanac info. Luckily you can get that by means other than from the Satellite.

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
The GPS would work, but Google maps wouldn't. So your phone would know your exact coordinates, but wouldn't be able to show them to you. (Now, if Garmin or someone comes up with an app that includes maps that live on the phone instead of coming from Google, it should work even with no access to cell or wifi.)

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
The GPS would work, but Google maps wouldn't. So your phone would know your exact coordinates, but wouldn't be able to show them to you. (Now, if Garmin or someone comes up with an app that includes maps that live on the phone instead of coming from Google, it should work even with no access to cell or wifi.)

Not necessarily. Google does offline a lot more, and with Gears, it could pre-cache a routes maps, to a certain extent. Then just display going off the lat long from the GPS, and use the in built compass to provide orientation.

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
I posted this on another thread but seems like it belong more in this one. this was posted on http://www.gizmodo.com

iPhone SDK Agreement Prohibits "Real-Time Route Guidance" and Saving Lives
It looks like hopes for a more robust GPS app for the iPhone 3G, with say, voice turn-by-turn navigation—or just a different way of doing things—might be well and dashed. The SDK agreement has a curious little clause that would seem to ban TomTom (or anyone else) from working their GPS magic:

"Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices; dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or life-saving purposes."
The possibility of no new GPS wares is disconcerting—banning remotely controlling vehicles or robots is downright disturbing. And why don't they want app makers to save lives? Does this mean your iPhone would explode if you built an app for a GPS-guided, remote-controlled robot that saves lives? [BBG]

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
GPS is definitely included which beats the $10 AT&T charges a month for the AT&T Navigator.

What???? No charge for GPS???? How dare they. I'm so pissed that ATT could have the nerve to give us GPS. I hate ATT. Screw Apple......

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.