GPS Navigation turn by turn App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by robjulo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I am coming from Android where the GPS app with turn by turn directions is built in and works pretty well. The only downside is that it requires a constant data connection.

My understanding is, for whatever reason, Apple does not include an integrated APP for GPS navigation.

Any recommendations and what are the pros and cons.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

From all my past experience, actually using the google maps that's already on the iPhone as a GPS is useless. It's good if you're just not sure of an exit or something and you just read the list view before leaving but actually using it while driving won't work at all. Navigon seems to be the favorite GPS App in the store. People also seem to like TomTom..I haven't tried either yet but I plan to.

3. wratran macrumors regular

i use Navigon...full GPS navigation software. This is actually better than the one in my Cadillac
    Tomtom is another option...I just did not like it as much

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Get MotionX GPS Drive - it's a fantastic GPS app, and it starts at $1. You have to pay a $20 yearly subscription for full voice guidance (or $3 for 30 days), but turn by turn screen guidance is included with no subscription. They update OFTEN and keep adding new features and improving. Has traffic rerouting, and all the features I want. It's fantastic.

Alternatively, Navigon is very good, though more expensive up front (though no subscription needed for live voice guidance). They use downloaded maps, which is great because it works when you're outside of a data connection, but is more cumbersome as they don't get map updates as often, and the program is big (over 1GB for your region).

I used Navigon for a while, but switched to MotionX and have been VERY happy. It's a very good GPS app.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is the one I have, also. It comes on sale frequently, so be sure not to pay full price for it (use appshopper.com or some similar for pricing). It does a nice job, has traffic-based routing, etc.

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I use MotionX and I think it's great. It's quite fully featured and has a lot of search and navigation options. You do have to pay for voice guidance, but unlike the other apps where you pay something like $30, you can pay $3 at a time for one month of voice guidance. This is great for me because there are only certain times of the year I need it. It works well in the background and all that too.

7. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

9. egonpax macrumors 6502

And another vote for Navigon.
    I would suggest looking up reviews of the different apps.

10. critic81 macrumors regular

I don't want 1.6gb of data used up by maps so I use Telenav GPS program. I think it's great so far. Been using it for about 4 months now. Use it all the time.

11. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Google Maps is basically useless if you can't have someone looking at it telling you where you to go, or if you actually need turn by turn (like I do) most of the time.

I bought Navigon MyRegion for something like $17. I used to pirate the app when they didn't have the MyRegion ones, as the app was something like $60-80. One of my favorite apps, though.

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The MapQuest app is free, gives you voice guidance and works pretty well if you don't want to spend any money.

13. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This is one of the only things that makes the iPhone a dealbreaker for me (FWIW I'm here because a relative ordered a 4S.)

Free Google Navigation on Android is a godsend.

14. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

So it's $29 for better navigation via Navigon (and obviously a much better operating system experience, as well as a more polished hardware/software combination), you don't think it's worth $29 (probably less than 35% of your monthly bill) for that? Seems kind of illogical. $29 is like a week of Starbucks.

15. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Frankly, I wouldn't pick one phone over another just because one includes GPS navigation for free when the same capabilities can be added by just purchasing the software that may cost anywhere from $0 to $99. No hacking involved, no jumping thru hoops, just a simple software purchase.

Like others have said the Maps app is useless for turn-by-turn navigation, I personally use Garmin because it went on sale a few weeks back. I think I paid $29 for it.

16. wratran macrumors regular

Don't get anything that has a subscription fee... Waste of money
    Navigon and tomtom do not require data connection..come w maps fully stored on your phone..and one time fee for the software

Gps that use data is stupid and useless in area w no cell signal...especially when you travel across the states

Navigon will lower the volume on iPod when voice guidance is activated....work w Bluetooth over your car stereo sytem

17. b24pgg macrumors 65816

How is Navigon better than Google Navigation? (I'm genuinely curious, I don't know)
    Separate subject but while we're on it, I disagree and I think most would argue that this is a matter of opinion.
    Isn't that just for the local region? I just went on the App Store and it said it was $50 for the USA and $60 for North America.

Google Navigation is free and is supported in 30 countries.

----------

Oh I completely disagree. Perhaps this is an issue on AT&T but I've been using Google Navigation on my Verizon Droid (which requires a data connection) and not once have I run into problems with maps not loading. (The only issue I've had is when the phone can't pick up an accurate GPS location under bridges and in cities with tall buildings, but that's the case with all GPS systems.)

18. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

So you have money to drive around the planet but don't have 30 bucks?

But never mind, I thought this was a serious discussion but it looks like you are just trolling.

19. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I use MotionX Drive GPS. It's a free app, and you just pay 20 bucks a year. Works pretty damn well too.

20. b24pgg, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

b24pgg macrumors 65816

a.) Google Navigation works for walking and public transportation too...not just driving.
    b.) When I do travel, I absolutely use Navigation.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious but it just seems to me like you're trying to justify buying a poor product.

21. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

+1 for MapQuest. Turn-by-turn, voice, no subscription, and free! I've traveled ~600 miles numerous times using it. It's pretty awesome.

22. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The downside is it takes up space on your phone and the maps get out of date. There are downsides to both approaches.

23. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Yeah, MapQuest works fine, though it's not as fully featured as MotionX or Navigon. It doesn't do a 3D map view, and doesn't, to my knowledge, adjust directions based on traffic. It's directions can sometimes be a little less accurate than the others as well, but overall it works quite well and the voice guidance is good.

MotionX is nice because you can choose not to pay the subscription fee and you still get all the features except the "Turn right on Dublin Road" stuff. It still gives you that turn, and shows you on the map, but it will only do the live voice with the subscription. For me it's worth it as it's such a great program, but if it's not and you want free, Mapquest does a very nice job.

24. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

Motion X Drive works great for me. It also lets you cache your route in advance if you're planning a long trip and move out of an area with cell service.

25. rman726 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's why i got a 64gb 4s. I don't really have any space issues on my 32gb, so with 64gb a 1gb app will be even less of a concern. I bought tomtom almost 2 years ago for 35 for USA and has been well worth the investment.