Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boblister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2008
North West UK
I guess that skyhook is a US only thing as location services doesn't seem to work here in the UK at all. It seems pretty pointless activating it on the wifi only model if it doesn't work here.

It seems to work here in the UK pretty well actually. When Google went around causing a bit of an uproar photographing everyones house at street level, they also logged the MAC address of every router they could see. This is what skyhook uses. It's quite well covered in a small market town where I live.

biscuits99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
The GPS works without a sim, but it needs wifi or cellular data access to get maps unless you've bought and downloaded an actual GPS mapping or navigation program.

I'm thinking an app like 'Offmaps' shoudl work just fine in a 3G iPad without a sim?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I'm thinking an app like 'Offmaps' shoudl work just fine in a 3G iPad without a sim?

I'd be reluctant to assume that the GPS function of the 3G iPad will interface with any and all map apps. I think Offmaps will locate you offline, but not sure.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
It seems to work here in the UK pretty well actually. When Google went around causing a bit of an uproar photographing everyones house at street level, they also logged the MAC address of every router they could see. This is what skyhook uses. It's quite well covered in a small market town where I live.

Really? I didn't know they did that. Doesn't work at all in the village I live in and I'm only five miles away from Luton. Oh well :(

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Hmmm perhaps I have a problem with my iPad in that case as my house is on Google street view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.