GPU on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bubble27, Feb 3, 2008.

1. bubble27 macrumors regular

To all mac gamers outthere!

Btw this topic is IF there will be an upgrade on the MBP.

What do you guys reckons gona happen?

Please dont say that mac doesnt care about gamers and buy a console!

Didnt apple ask Intel to custom make something for them inorder to make the MBA so slim?

If thats the case why dont they ask Nvidia to sort out the 8800 and try stick it in the 17" at least!

Or even better....the 9600 thats coming out this month! :confused:

2. harrymohan macrumors member

8800 produces lots of heat!! plus consumes a lot of power both of these conditions not good for a laptop!!

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, the 9600 desktop card that'll take more than 300 watts to run. It's the PowerBook G5 all over again!

4. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats the whole point about Nvidia making a custom made for apple. Obviously slimmer and with a 45nm like the ATi.

Or something, look at the amount apple makes profit every year, spend some on research and be top of the range! :p

5. Wallace86 macrumors regular

LoL, i did not c this, haha. i am voting for the 9600. if they stick with the cheapass 8600m GTs (which they will), i will be getting a windows xp machine from biotech.com, and wait for the machine that is below.

6. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Does the 8700 have a HDMI output?

The 8800 does!

Alien ware laptops got it on their 8800...

Liking the specs! but that might happen when like apple goes quad :s which wont be for long!

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

DVI + HDMI are exactly the same in their overall functionality, except DVI lacks the ability to carry digital audio.

As far as image/video quality goes, they're both identical. They can both carry HDCP video etc...

8. Wallace86 macrumors regular

8700 does, since alienware laptops offer it (in those same laptops). they have the 8600m gt as a low end option, and i think they are hdmi compatable to. if apple would only buy alienware and put osx on them.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Alienware = thick + heavy + loud fans = more room for things, good for its target audience

MBP = light, streamlined, elegant, good for its target audience

FYI, they have different target audience. MBP plays many games fine.

As to HDMI, Mac Pro and to a lesser chance MBP would probably be the lead if there will be HDMI connectors on macs, if ever. Current optical output and DVI -> HDMI works fine.

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

How about No. Alienware is already owned by another company.

11. Wallace86 macrumors regular

i was mostly joking there mate.

12. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh but if they have an option in the 17" of that, doubt it will make a difference in weight.

Remember the point is to ask Nvidia techs to come up with a product strictly to suite MBPs.....

13. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

The m15x is only 1.3", if I remember correctly. Plus it only weighs about 7 pounds.

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

they arent going to, its one thing to make a CPU package smaller to fit in a slimmer case, its another thing to make a GPU thats still super fast and produces less heat, if they could do it now they would...ok so you ask, why then was it such a big deal for intel, why dont they use that technology everyday...because its not necessary, who cares if you save half an inch on a 1' sq motherboard, intel is apples ***** because apple put it in their contract (well i would think they did) when they decided to exclusively buy from them, do you really think intel wants to lose apple of a customer? with GPUs apple is buying from both sides, nvidia couldnt give a crap what apple wants

15. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'm gonna say...

No.

There will be no change in graphics cards in this upgrade. The only things that will change are slightly faster processors, bigger "multitouch" trackpad, and maybe the Macbook Air keyboard. If Steve loves it that much. An extra bump in HDD too.

New GPUs later this year, or early next year. Probably this year, with the Montevina platform upgrade. If we remember, what did we get along with the Merom CPU upgrade? Pretty much nothing. The other better stuff came with the platform update, Santa Rosa.

Then we can get Quad core MBP's sometime 2009! Yay!

16. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Hahaha very nicely put. thanks dude!

;)

You reckon Montevina will be put in mbps by the summer?

They are coming out next month or max april, but knowing apple becoming MS they prob gona put it like in Oct.!

Quad on a mbp! would ROCK! but not gona happen cause of the 1" blah blah heat blah blah

17. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I don't understand... It's summer now! (Although considering all this bloody rain...)

Source for Montevina being available next month or April??? I saw May...
    My guess is the Montevina MBPs will be available in July. I seem to remember that Santa Rosa was also released in May, but the SR MBPs only made available in like July. Same thing will probably happen. Then the first Nehalem MBPs January or February 2009. (EDIT: OK, "Buyer's Guide" says it was June. So around Late May-June-Early July for Montevina MBPs.)

AAAH!!! BLASPHEMY!!!

NEVER SAY NEVER! Especially on something like this!
    I reckon June 2009 will see the first quad core MBPs, but they could be available sooner than this. Although very unlikely, it is always possible that we will see at least some of the MBP lineup move to quad cores maybe as soon as this June! Although I would say we'll see quad core iMacs first. I'll guess 6 months before quad core MBPs.

So, although Quad Core MBPs this June is (possible) but incredibly unlikely, it is entirely possible we will have them for early next year, and I reckon an almost certainty by June next year.

And hopefully 8 core by 2010, and 16 core "Sandy Bridge" by start of 2011, when I will probably be wanting a replacement for my MBP!

So, all in all, 8800M GT happening in MBP? NOT GOONA HAPPEN. In this case, I think it is quite reasonable for me to say EVER.
    Don't know anything about the 9600M. Maybe, but unlikely. Especially if it draws anything like the amount of power as the 8800M does.
    I reckon the next MBP GPU will be the next generation, either R700 or G100 based, in June.

18. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I agree for what it is, it does it fine. I wouldnt want an alienware laptop because they are so friggen heavy and loud. Id rather get a desktop if i was a hardcore gamer

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

...And about 1.75 hrs of battery run time.

20. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3577

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t111805.html

Hey my Ausstralian buddy...lol
    Summer i meant June +

Sorry about that...Yeh there are a number of sources that say mid 2008 and some others that say march/april!

So no putting any money down on these dates!

Would be great if Mac did skip Penryn and just go to Montevina, Since we're having heat issues, montevina will run DDR3 which will need less watts = less heat and possibly more Ram! :D

We'll see....:apple:

21. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Who says we're having heat issues?
    No heat problems with the SR MBP...
    And although it would be awesome cool, I doubt whether taking 10 W off the CPU and RAM will mean Apple will hand it to the GPU. Which is a pity, because if they did, they could probably just manage to squeeze an 8800M in. Probably underclocked, but still way, way better. And I dunno about more RAM. DDR3 is real expensive, and the appropriate RAM isn't even on www.crucial.com yet. Likely it will just be the same amount.

Nehalem brings an interesting point. We have Core 3 Duo, and Core 3 Quad, but when the 8 core versions come out, what's it gonna be? Core 3 Octo sounds crap. And it gets worse. I want a 16 core Sandy Bridge CPU in my next MBP. What they gonna call that??? Core 4 Hexadeco? Talk about really bad name...

And I want at least 16 graphics cores in that MBP (R900 or R1000?), and 16 GB of DDR5 RAM. And of course a 16 TB SSD :) (Or more likely ~2)

If The Future had a concert, I'd go, cos I'm a massive Future Fan!

22. Macole macrumors member

Macole

i don't really think that there will be other changes except the new penryn duo core cpus (the quad core are not "ready" to ship yet) the new multitouch interface and maybe ... HDMI...

23. luffx macrumors regular

Apple better put a decent GPU in the MBP or IMac.

I'm @ the point where I'm going to settle for a lesser/cheaper Mac so I can build a PC for gaming.

YOU'RE LOSING MY MONIES APPLE!!1

::shakes fist @ Apple::

24. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Exactly almost zero chance.

Better buy yourself a Mac Mini and a PC then. Have fun with Windows!

25. bubble27 thread starter macrumors regular

Hahahah your funny dude! Very creative on your words...ever thought about working for intel to help them come up with names? ;)

*Heat issues when gaming!

Yeh i love the future aswell....i bet theyve got 8cores for notebooks and 128cores for desktops, they just dont release them cause its a money making tactic! Montevina i think might also be quad-core...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39288397,00.htm

http://66.225.202.210/journals/hardware.ars/2007/08/23/first-quad-core-notebook-announced