Grab closes after each screenshot

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by JoeCo0611, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JoeCo0611 macrumors member

Mildly frustrating bug, in my mind:

I use grab to take screenshots of assignments for an online course I'm taking. When using Snow Leopard, Grab would stay open until I closed it after I was done taking a series of screenshots. In Lion, however, every time I save a screenshot after taking it, and move away from the Grab application and back into a browser to continue the class, Grab closes.

Anyone else experience this?

2. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

That seems like a deliberate decision the Apple folks have made.
    TextEdit, Quicktime Player, Preview and Automator work similarly. It's an attempt to more and more free the user from the burden of manual application process management.

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

4. JoeCo0611 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the reply!

That's frustrating that I'm unable to keep an application open as long as I want. I'll keep look around the settings menus for a solution. If anything, I'm sure I can find a 3rd party solution to fix this issue.

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I tried to replicate this. I opened grab , went to the capture screen. Choose selection. Made a selection. It captured. The selection appeared, I then command-Tab to Safari and Grab stayed open. It did not close. I usually use the keyboard shortcuts, and never open grab.

6. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

You need to close all of Grab's windows.

IMHO Apple have possibly made the wrong decision here. I can definitely see how it would be useful if Grab stayed open even with no more windows open.

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Fascinating. Sure enough it quit, once I saved the screen shot. Stick with keyboard shortcuts.

8. JoeCo0611 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for your responses!

I'll keep searching the internet, but aside from CMD+shift+4, which gives me the tool to crop a portion of the screen to capture, does anyone know the keyboard shortcut to capture a selected window?

*EDIT*
    Found the shortcut, lol. It's CMD+shift+4+spacebar to capture a window. Thanks again all!

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Hit the spacebar to switch modes ! :)

EDIT: I See you got it. ;)

10. Parisfille macrumors newbie

I have just discovered this problem. I use Grab constantly and I thought that I was accidentally closing it instead of just closing the image, because every time I went to use it, it had disappeared.

Now I have just realised that it is CLOSING ITSELF! :mad:

Thanks for ruining this previously user-friendly and unique feature of Macs. This was completely unnecessary and highly infuriating. :confused:

11. WarUlven macrumors newbie

Well a very "low tech" way to solve the problem is just to take one screen dump, and then minimize it so it stays in the Dock. After that Grab will stay open as before :rolleyes:

12. kozmokoggs macrumors newbie

This is an old thread but it happened to me all the time in Snow Leopard and now does the same thing running Mavericks. It's still just as irritating...