Gradual Mac Mini Updates?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret provides confirmation for an earlier Page 2 Rumor.

According to the report, Apple will be quietly updating the Mac mini in the next week. The low end Mac mini will be upgraded from 1.25GHz to 1.33GHz and the high end from 1.42GHz to 1.5GHz. Internal components such as AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth will receive upgrades as will the SuperDrive (up to 8x) in the high end Mac mini model.

Prices are expected to remain the same.

The Mac mini just received minor upgrades in July. Such a gradual upgrade process is consistent with a long standing goal of Apple wanting to de-emphasize Expo events for product releases.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I like Expo events to release things, means I can get my hopes up so they'll be crushed :).

mikataur

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2005
Does the Mini's graphics card currently support the enhanced graphics effects in Tiger, eg, the "ripple" when new Dashboard widgets are used?

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I never thought they would upgrade them at some event like MWSF or something. Most buying the mini are not the same people wanting live Quicktime streams of the events. Small quite updates make sense to me, but it also sounds like we shouldn't expect much from the line anyway.

Really I don't think we will see ANYTHING wow worthy until the Intels start shipping, I don't care what Steve said about exciting PPC products that are in the pipeline.

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I expect they will also be upgrading the graphics to something like a FX5200 or R9550 so it can properly support core graphics.

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
At least its something...

Well its good to see updates even if they are minor ones :p I think its better this way as there is often too much expectation on the expo's and people tend to let themselves down because they hype themselves up so much reading into all the rumours.
Now if only we got something new every Tuesday... :p

Macmarino

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Hey, slow and incremental progress is a good thing! Hardly earthshattering, but good news nonetheless.

And thank heavens it doesn't make me neurotic about my new 20" iMac!

Best,

Bob

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
going to a gradual cycle is going to make it a lot harder to guess when new models come out, and hence will make it harder to know when to buy and when to hold out.

then again, i'm not in the market for a mini... i'm in the market for a powermac.

bebo

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
I'm considering jumping back into the mac market .... with a mini

been waiting for this update. Basically, it needs to have an updated gpu, i.e. at least a 9550. Otherwise I dont see a big deal in paying the $100 for a new one over a refurb.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Well graphics card upgrade is a must.

Wonder if 5400 rpm HDD speed is going to be standard. Maybe even a 100 GB option...

I guess the real multmedia upgrades, and the colour black ;), will have to wait for the intel upgrade next year...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Having new models come out with slightly improved specs doesn't make the news particularly exciting, but Apple has to keep up, even with minor improvements, because complaints build up and sales fall if any model goes too long without some form of upgrade, or at least a price drop.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Doctor Q said:
Having new models come out with slightly improved specs doesn't make the news particularly exciting, but Apple has to keep up, even with minor improvements, because complaints build up and sales fall if any model goes too long without some form of upgrade, or at least a price drop.
You mean like the POWERBOOK!!! :mad:

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Yay

It's really important to update poducts slowly and gradually, especially at the low end, so there is never a time where they are undoubtedly worse than the competition. However, they need to get their priorties straight. I want a 9550 over .1GHz and Bluetooth 2.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
come Apple make it a big update or release a media Mac!!

but update for min is good my grandmom is in the market for mac mini

lickily

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2005
Doctor Q said:
For all of the griping about the pace of Apple upgrades, I'd have to say they've done right by the mini. In two months, they will have updated 2 (and maybe all) of the 3 components that have crippled the minis performance: insufficient ram, slow hard drive, and non-Core-Image video card (we'll have to wait and see if this gets updated). Not bad for the price point, and don't forget all the other goodies they threw into the top two models.