Graffiti In Your City (Post Pictures)

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by cinematicme, Aug 31, 2011.

1. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

I'd like to see graffiti from other cities and states, even countries. From the person on the street's perspective.

Also, If possible, upon request, I'd like to ask for some high rez stills for a documentary I'm preparing on shooting.

I'll start it off, Pittsburgh

[​IMG]
    Artist: Not sure it could say HM but i think theres another letter in there.
    [​IMG]
    Artist: Hedaqe (pronouced Headache)

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And by doing so, give it value?

No thanks.

I like some street art/wall paintings, but self-promotion and gang markings ("pissing on a bush" I call it) don't do it for me.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I approve of this thread. I didn't find any graffiti worth getting called art in my city yet, though.

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Why didn't I think of this thread!

This is a picture thread for street artists ... the Avant Garde.

I will post a picture near where I live in a few days.

5. cinematicme thread starter macrumors member

cinematicme

uh, none of those are gang markings.

Gang markings are usually in the form of "tags" like this

[​IMG]

the above are "pieces" completely different. This is a major misconception over what graffiti actually is, it deserves value. By saying that its wrong to give it value, your basically saying things like this aren't worthy of being called art. What about political graffiti from artists such as Banksy or things such as this

[​IMG]
    another pittsburgh piece

6. miamijim macrumors 6502

I am afraid I have to go on the side of this is not art.....

I think that graffiti is vandalism pure and simple, the people that do this, those that need to express themselves are usually vacuous individuals who do not fit in with the prescribed rules of society.

I live in a lovely town with parks and beautiful white fences throughout the parks, and then the spray painters come out and turn the place into an urban ********, the council come out and repaint and the whole circle of **** continues.

Graffiti that came out of the US in the 70's is only a political statement in that it is the work of the poorly educated the work of individuals who were just in need of seeing their name somewhere, weak people who today would be auditioning for the bloody X factor.

7. Apple OC, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Graffiti Alley ... Toronto

Attached Files:

8. cinematicme thread starter macrumors member

cinematicme

So just because someone paints on a wall, they aren't intelligent? So if Picasso painted a wall....would it still not be art? Or does the term "Art" to you mean Galleries with framed paintings and sculptures in a museum?

Wrong, perfect example of modern day political graffiti. Banksy painted Nine satirical pieces of life on the other side on Israel's 425-mile-long West Bank barrier, which separates Israel from the Palestinian territories, and the wall is considered illegal by the United Nations. It's basically holding people in with concrete and razor wire to keep them safe from "suicide bombers"

[​IMG]

I think the uneducated one here might be you, in art and politics at least.

9. steviem, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

But tagging is so different to the Banksy you linked to. The Banksy has much more in common to the murals painted on sides of houses in Ulster.

Yes, these people have talent with a can of spray paint, but why don't they use their skills for something which is a little more than a 10 foot tag?

Also

Michelangelo painted on a ceiling, but the owners wanted him to. Maybe if parents would stop telling their toddlers off for drawing on the walls, more people would consider tagging art (and that image quoted above is tagging, just because they spent time on artistic effects in the lettering doesn't stop it from just being a tag.).

10. miamijim macrumors 6502

I don't count Banksy as Graffiti, even I can see the difference between what he does and plain old multi colored dawbings and tagging of the unintelligent idiots that blight our neighborhoods.

No matter which way you try to swing it Graffiti in the styles posted here not including Banksy is just pure and simple Vandalism, however if a wall is given over to an art project for a mural then that is not vandalism.

But most urban Graffiti is the work of bored idiots....

11. cinematicme thread starter macrumors member

cinematicme

That's not a tag, tags are the base form

Tag - A stylized signature, normally done in one color. The simplest and most prevalent type of graffiti, a tag is often done in a color that contrasts sharply with its background.

[​IMG]

Throw up - A throw-up or "throwie" sits between a tag and a piece in terms of complexity and time investment. It generally consists of a one-color outline and one layer of fill-color. Easy-to-paint bubble shapes often form the letters.

[​IMG]

Piece - A large and labor-intensive graffiti painting. Pieces often incorporate 3-D effects, arrows, and many colors and color-transitions, as well as various other effects. Originally shorthand for masterpiece, considered the full and most beautiful work of graffiti). A piece requires more time to paint than a throw-up.

[​IMG]

Theres also differences between vandals and "writers". Writers do not paint or tag on private property or locations of historic importance. Public property however is fair game.

Vandals disregard the above stated and just paint on everything regardless with no respect to private ownership.

I wasn't aware this was an opinion thread either, I just asked for users to post graffiti from their cities.

12. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yeah, the problem is with here, it will always get opinions for and against whatever you start a topic on. But hey, at least you're not getting a DDOS for disagreeing with someone on 4chan!

13. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

14. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

Philadelphia

Attached Files:

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Sydney, Australia - photographed this when I lived there.

[​IMG]

16. Otaillon macrumors 6502

Otaillon

[​IMG]
    Untitled by O.Taillon, on Flickr

Not in my city! But took this picture in Havana

17. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

if you tell me how to upload a pic, i can upload some graffiti from toronto that i took pictures of

18. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Except his portrayal of the situation there is deceiving.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Graffiti or not, it's art to die for, and many did, in this corner of Europe.:mad:

[​IMG]

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I must admit to mixed feelings.

While I enjoy and admire much of the artwork, I can also appreciate those with concerns about "defacing" others' property.

When I was at university (in the 60's) they put up a 10 foot high fence around a vacant lot and invited anyone to do what they wished on it. Some wonderful artwork, and no complaints about vandalism or defacing property. :)

21. vvebster macrumors regular

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I completely forgot what this one stood for. Can someone help me catch me memory?:eek:

23. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

You know what, who cares what you think of graffiti. This isn't a debate forum, it is a gallery. Please post more beautiful art. If you don't like it, don't click the thread.

24. miamijim macrumors 6502

I believe that we are able to comment on what is posted and are allowed to have opinions, you may love graffiti I may hate graffiti and we both have the right to express our opinions... that is the beauty of freedom of speech.

You may not care what I think but I have the right to think it.