Grammarly Debuts iOS Keyboard App to Help Improve Your Grammar in Messages, Twitter, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 2, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Grammarly this week announced the launch of the Grammarly Keyboard app for iOS devices, which is available on the iOS App Store right now. Once added as a new keyboard in Settings, the app will then use Grammarly's grammar-checking software to proofread text you send in essentially any app that uses a keyboard.

Grammarly Keyboard will catch context-specific mistakes related to grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and Grammarly Premium users will be able to choose from various style improvements as well as gain more advanced word choice options. Above each correction is a short and clear explanation as to why Grammarly chose to fix the error, which the company says will help you "understand your mistakes and avoid them in the future."

[​IMG]

In the company's blog post, examples are given of using Grammarly Keyboard in apps like Facebook, Twitter, Messages, Mail, Tinder, and more. The app can even warn you of when an auto-correct message has been typed and fix it before you send the message.
    After downloading Grammarly Keyboard for free [Direct Link], you'll have to allow the app to have full access to your keyboard in the iOS Settings app. Then, just tap the globe icon to cycle through your keyboards until you see Grammarly.

Article Link: Grammarly Debuts iOS Keyboard App to Help Improve Your Grammar in Messages, Twitter, and More

2. randymac09 macrumors regular

This looks to good. I think their on to something, here with this app. I can'not weight too give this a try.

3. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

i'd probably use this if apple didn't require there be an app icon for every keyboard installed, turns me off of using anything different.

4. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

5. scottcampbell macrumors regular

Any keyboard on my phone needs the 3D touch cursor feature.
    Can't live without it.

6. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

It will know everything I type, right? The concern is, whether one can trust their servers. I would like to know from someone.

7. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I've read that some linguists actually consider "text speak" its own dialect. Correcting to standard english grammar in these situations could actually be perceived as jarring or even cause confusion in your message. Just as an example, it would likely put a period at the end of every statement and that would convey anger/seriousness to most text recipients when that wasn't the intended tone. As a fan of formal grammar I like the spirit but I think the practical implementation won't be successful.

8. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

FSF, ow meny mishtakes kan grammarlee maak hin wun shawt markettin peese?

Gud greef. Woz hall dem "leeding awfulorities" ona sikie?

9. allthingsapple! macrumors regular

YES! I love this app! I use it all the time on my MacBook when writing emails. So glad they have an iOS version now as well.

10. kacper1703 macrumors newbie

I sea your a man of cool tour aswell.

11. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Are they using servers at all? Try using the keyboard without an internet connection. If it still works, I'd assume it's all local and not sending anything to a server.

12. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

Yea. Putting them in a folder would be quite hindrance

13. mariusignorello macrumors 68000

14. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

see i usually think installing third party keyboards isn't great mostly because they always look uglier and have some missing functionality that the main keyboard has. But this is legitimately a very cool idea

15. JobsIsMyHomie macrumors newbie

JobsIsMyHomie

I will definitely give this a test drive although I don't think it is meant for everyone. I know my kids definitely won't use it because they don't communicate with proper grammar. It would probably be jarring to them and their friends to see proper grammar in text messages and the other apps they use to communicate.

16. CrzyP macrumors 6502

I use this on my Mac. Legit! I just think they charge too much for their subscriptions.

17. JGIGS, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

You missed "hear" instead of "here". But well done! ;)

18. PHILIP1193 macrumors regular

I use this at work all the time and it works well. Glad to use it on my iPhone.

19. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

That's an understatement.

20. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

I wish everyone would use this app. But I'd settle for people just putting two spaces between thoughts!

21. scottcampbell macrumors regular

That's not really a thing anymore.

22. AlbinoPigeon macrumors regular

Yeah, same goes for all third party keyboards. That's why I've avoided installing any of them. If Grammarly did all the processing on device, then maybe, but they don't.

23. bchertov macrumors newbie

bchertov

I would love it if only Apple allowed other keyboards to include dictation. That really pisses me off and hobbles the platform.

24. jdillings macrumors 68000

25. tennisproha, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

tennisproha macrumors 65816

What exactly is the purpose of 'Sent from my iPhone'? Never quite got that.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    Also, it needs "full access", so is it logging keystrokes?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    It doesn't really work. Actually told me to change 'you wanna' to 'wanna you'.