Grammarly, friend or foe?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by citizenzen, Oct 6, 2017.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've been using it for a number of months now and today I finally deleted it. While I appreciate the spellchecking help, I just couldn't take the user experience any more. It seemed as if every correction became a fight between me and the software, with Grammarly moving my cursor in unexpected ways and making simple text changes far more difficult than they should be. I tried clicking, "Ignore" the correction, but that would just set off a cascade of more "Ignores," each one capable of causing a new problem that had to be addressed.

So I'm curious how others here have responded to the extension. Is it a life-saver, or the annoyance as I've found it, or perhaps something in between?

2. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502

QueenTyrone

My dad had it and hated it a lot and felt it was over priced lol

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm not too sure what this software is that you're talking about, but I get the impression it is a tool to automatically correct one's grammar on the fly. To be honest, while I don't mind unobtrusive feedback from grammar checking software, what you describe sounds like a horrible user experience.

I also think there is something to be said for a writer paying attention to what they write without the help of software. It is generally good practice (hell, I'd say a downright requirement) to reread one's writing to check for spelling and grammar errors, as well as "big picture" edits for logical flow and cohesion. Some people might fall into a habit of relying solely on their software, which could have the ironic effect of lowering the quality of writing that might have otherwise been checked more carefully and deliberately by a human.

So, ehhh, the little green lines in MS Word don't bother me so much, but what you describe sounds infuriating.

4. citizenzen, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I was using the free version.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Grammarly is a Chrome extension that has a free version one can upgrade to a premium version. It’s not the feedback itself that’s obtrusive, it’s how it controls or directs your cursor that makes it difficult to work with. Difficult enough that I finally just said screw it, I’d rather live with the misspellings.

5. Uplift macrumors 6502

I'm really close to deleting it... the extension at least. Same issues as you, the user experience can be a crazy battle at times.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Seriously crazy battles. That’s an excellent description.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yikes, not having full control over my cursor is a deal-breaker for sure.

8. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Imagine software that wants you to do one thing, when you want to do another, and it keeps insisting you're wrong.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh hell, this happens with my phone right now. I will write, in proper context, a properly spelled word that Apple has decided I couldn't possibly have meant to write, and it quite frustratingly will autocorrect it to something else, without my approval.

**** that!

10. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I have the premium version, but it has gone down hill over the past year or so; they're trying to incorporate machine learning which has screwed up corrections. Lately, the errors picked up (such as words used too frequently when they are only used once etc.), is getting a bit ridiculous.

I am also experiencing the OP's issues where they insist a spelling or usage is wrong; even when it is not. This is probably due to the Machine Learning element that only presumes it knows what is right after pouring through every document that is funneled through the software.

I tend to wait until they send me emails that offer the service at half off the yearly price, but I am increasingly unhappy with it.

The WSJ reported this back in May, but it's behind a paywall. Here's Tech Crunch's article.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

HemingWay or ProWritingAid are better according to what I've read. I tried out Grammarly when it first came out, which was in 2010 or 2011. Maybe earlier, I don't remember. Was not a fan.

Sounds like politics. :p

12. trucdev88 macrumors newbie

Grammarly supports multiple document types, and you can identify each document as a blog post, as an article, as a business document and so on. Grammarly also has a plagiarism checker, which may be useful if you’re writing academic documents or reviewing a peer’s work. My school spent a lot of money buying checking plagiarism software so that students can submit and check only 1 time, so I think Grammarly IOS is also helpful to me check before submit on software of school.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It sounds interesting. Does it present phrases for you to approve or automatically make changes on it’s own? I usually reread my posts before posting to make sure they sound coherent, but I’m not always successful, hence some number of edits, frequently. o_O

14. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Many thanks for mentioning those, :) I've bookmarked. Both together (with a lifetime sub to ProWritingAid) are a little more than what Grammarly charges per year. I already like how HemingWay works.

15. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Just an update, if you have a subscription to Office 365, MS's "Editor" feature in Word is a lot like Grammarly only better. It will not only check spelling and show the word(s) in context at the same time, but offer solid suggestions.

I had to get Office 365 and am very happy to have a feature that could easily justify my paying for the annual subscription.

That said, HemingWay looks like the most economical and user friendly Grammarly replacement. I will still look into HemingWay and ProWritingAid once I am reemployed.