Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Heres my story...
My dad recently made a deal with me, If i get 80s or over in everything this term exept french (need to get 70s) he would buy me a Compaq Presario
V2000. For some people, getting 80s is a walk in the park. I will be gettin my 3rd report card somewhere around april. To give you guys an idea of my notes here they are (1st and 2nd)

1st Term, 2nd term
French - 70,61
History - 65,57
Physics - 86,70
Math - 82,79
English - 93,88

My notes this term so far have been pretty good (almost all averaging over 80) but with a long way to go for april, I still have a lot of work to do (especially for History,French and math, seeing that there all getting harder by the minute. But what im worried about the most is I get high 70s and I dont get my laptop. So my question is...

To all the dads out there, how would you feel if i got high 70s in hisory and math and low 70s in french. I usually fail french. Would you consider the laptop? Would you just flat out say no? I need the most opinions I can get.

Thanks to all

iPaul

EDIT - I will post my notes for the 3rd term and the answer I get from my dad as soon as I get them.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
That is quite wonderful. But being that you posted this on a mac forum I must ask the obvious question "why the heck would you not want to get a mac instead?"

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I can't speak as to what I think about the actual numbers because, well, I have no idea what they mean. I'm assuming they equate in some sense to the American grade scale (A,B,...) but not sure how.

Of course, that's not exceptionally relevant here - your dad set a standard for you to hit. As a father, I would expect that in order for you to get the "prize" you would have to achieve the goal that was set, not merely get close to it.

That being said, if I knew you worked your butt off to get scores that didn't quite meet the goal, I may provide a "consolation prize" of some sort to show appreciate of effort. But it wouldn't be the Compaq. May an iTMS gift or something.

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
excalibur313 said:
That is quite wonderful. But being that you posted this on a mac forum I must ask the obvious question "why the heck would you not want to get a mac instead?"

I enjoy this site for info on Apple, help with iPods and I enjoy following the Apple company :)

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
emw said:
I can't speak as to what I think about the actual numbers because, well, I have no idea what they mean. I'm assuming they equate in some sense to the American grade scale (A,B,...) but not sure how.

Of course, that's not exceptionally relevant here - your dad set a standard for you to hit. As a father, I would expect that in order for you to get the "prize" you would have to achieve the goal that was set, not merely get close to it.

That being said, if I knew you worked your butt off to get scores that didn't quite meet the goal, I may provide a "consolation prize" of some sort to show appreciate of effort. But it wouldn't be the Compaq. May an iTMS gift or something.

Theyre a %. Like on a 100.
70/100 61/100 etc... I think 80+ is a B

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Must.Get.nano! said:
Heres my story...
My dad recently made a deal with me, If i get 80s or over in everything this term exept french (need to get 70s) he would ...

To all the dads out there, how would you feel if i got high 70s in hisory and math and low 70s in french. I usually fail french. Would you consider the laptop? Would you just flat out say no?

A deal is a deal -- it works that way in the real world too. If you don't meet the conditions, there is no deal. I may (hypothetically in that situation) consider funding 80% or 60% of the machine if you missed the mark in 20% or 40% of your classes, leaving you to earn the balance.

I'd be (hypothetically as a student) asking my teachers how I can get 3 -4% higher marks, like extra credits for optional assignments, etc., in order to gain that buffer.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I think those marks are too low. If my kids brought home 70s I would not get them the laptop. 80 is the bare minimum I would even tolerate, 90 would be ideal.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
technicolor said:
I think those marks are too low. If my kids brought home 70s I would not get them the laptop. 80 is the bare minimum I would even tolerate, 90 would be ideal.

I am not a parent but i know this is how my parents felt also. I never really had problems in any classes in high school. Except for the first half of first semester of calculus class (some a**hole stole my TI-89 and i ended up having to wait about 2 months to buy another one). In the end loosing the calculator was a good thing cause it forced me to learn how to do the math the right way.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Hah, my parents would not tolerate a B. Not that I'm complaining. I'm with CanadaRAM on this one. If you don't meet the mark it would be nice for your dad to help you on the project, but don't expect him to do so at all. You made a wager and if you don't pull through, you won't get the benefits. And don't forget, another benefit is doing well. I can't even begin to suggest how important grades are in the grand scheme of things. If you're not doing well enough to get an A in a course, then you're not learning to your full capacity.

Good luck though, hope you make it.

psycho-

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Del Mar, CA
rockandrule said:
Hah, my parents would not tolerate a B. Not that I'm complaining. I'm with CanadaRAM on this one. If you don't meet the mark it would be nice for your dad to help you on the project, but don't expect him to do so at all. You made a wager and if you don't pull through, you won't get the benefits. And don't forget, another benefit is doing well. I can't even begin to suggest how important grades are in the grand scheme of things. If you're not doing well enough to get an A in a course, then you're not learning to your full capacity.

Good luck though, hope you make it.

Wow...my parents used to chide me for getting A- grades. I got yelled at for getting B+ or lower grades.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
psycho- said:
Wow...my parents used to chide me for getting A- grades. I got yelled at for getting B+ or lower grades.

Wow, that's harsh. I get all A's but uh, my mom wouldn't yell at my if I got a B...or a C...I get A's because I want to and I try hard, not because she wants me to get them.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Must.Get.nano! said:
Heres my story...
My dad recently made a deal with me, If i get 80s or over in everything this term exept french (need to get 70s) he would buy me a Compaq Presario
V2000. For some people, getting 80s is a walk in the park. I will be gettin my 3rd report card somewhere around april. To give you guys an idea of my notes here they are (1st and 2nd)

1st Term, 2nd term
French - 70,61
History - 65,57
Physics - 86,70
Math - 82,79
English - 93,88

My notes this term so far have been pretty good (almost all averaging over 80) but with a long way to go for april, I still have a lot of work to do (especially for History,French and math, seeing that there all getting harder by the minute. But what im worried about the most is I get high 70s and I dont get my laptop. So my question is...

To all the dads out there, how would you feel if i got high 70s in hisory and math and low 70s in french. I usually fail french. Would you consider the laptop? Would you just flat out say no? I need the most opinions I can get.

Thanks to all

iPaul

EDIT - I will post my notes for the 3rd term and the answer I get from my dad as soon as I get them.

I guess my question is why are your grades low in some classes? Are you slacking, are you working hard, or are you doing something in between?

The V2000 is a fantastics notebook. I just bought one, and it is definitely the best budget notebook that I have ever used. It's fast, has a bright screen, its built-in wireless is really strong, and Compaq gives you two CD's (very important). One CD just has the OS, and the other CD has all of the applications that normally come preinstalled. However, you can pick and choose which of the bundled apps you wish to install.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
wow...your dad's awesome. my parents dont give me anything for my grades--i just get good grades because that's something i need to to for myself...like i feel really awful if i get a b.
edit: i agree with the above poster--are these grades because you're slacking off or because you don't know the material? if it's the latter you should talk to your teacher about it and get extra help. if it's the former, well, i guess you just need work harder ;)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Glad to see that parents dont expect much of their kids anymore.

I mean you are getting an electronic device worth alot of money for getting mediocre grades? B's and C's?

I know motivation is great, but cmon thats a little more than someone who is obviously struggling deserves.

Seems you need more help/tutoring, not some sort of PRIZE for doing what you should be doing in school, learning and getting good grades.

/rant

xy14

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2004
Minneapolis
80's would be nearly impossible to manage for me. Here's my grades from Campus:

Biology: 42%
Am. Hist: 83%
French: 99% (i love french)
Spanish: 60%
Geometry: 74%
English: 76%

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
For those who don't know, these are what the grade equivalents generally are:
%
90+ = A = Band 6
80-89 = B = Band 5
70-79 = C = Band 4
60-69 = D = Band 3
50-59 = E = Band 2
40-49 = F =Failure

C's are not as bad as they used to be though of. At my school there are no "F" grades as such, but after A, B, C, D and E comes U for unsatisfactory, or N for Non-award, meaning you have to repeat the year at school (depending how important the subject was).

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Still I fail to see the benefit of offering a "prize" like a laptop for MEDIOCRE grades.

yea an 80 is still a B, but its 20 points OFF, thats not good, not bad, but not good.

and certainly its not good ENOUGH to warrant a prize for achieving medocrity.

If you get ALL A's I would see a prize in order, but just for getting passing grades, thats what you are SUPPOSED TO BE DOING in school.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
epepper9 said:
%
90+ = A = Band 6
80-89 = B = Band 5
70-79 = C = Band 4
60-69 = D = Band 3
50-59 = E = Band 2
40-49 = F =Failure

Wow, that's a generous scale. :eek: My high school had the following:

94+ = A
85-93 = B
75-84 = C
70-74 = D
69- = F

I did NOT go to a private school. This is a public school in Tennessee.

I agree though. You should not be rewarded for achieving average grades. Must.Get.Nano: Strive for an A and you just might get it.

Amuraivel

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
School was relatively easy for me A-'s and B+'s with no effort.
But for this kid school seems hard; so the father has made a deal.

1. The father should stick to the deal, no consolation prizes.

2. 80's may be mediocre for some, but a titan effort for others. Lay off the kid about the 80's not being good.

3. 90's should = MBP

4. Good question is why are you getting bad grades? For me lower than A, it usually meant I was not turning something in on time or doing something sloppy, are you cutting corners?

5. BTW French is doable over a 70. I teach language. I hate it when people say "I am bad at languages." It is a natural human faculty; there is nothing really to be bad at. Attitude and effort are usually at the root of all language mediocrity.
Make sure you study your vocab everyday. Look for regular word changes and cognates.

6. Do extra-credit.

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
uaaerospace said:
Wow, that's a generous scale. :eek: My high school had the following:

94+ = A
85-93 = B
75-84 = C
70-74 = D
69- = F

I did NOT go to a private school. This is a public school in Tennessee.

I agree though. You should not be rewarded for achieving average grades. Must.Get.Nano: Strive for an A and you just might get it.

My goodness! America really does push everyone hard.
Here in the U.K 85% would get you an A*, and 70% an A at GCSE level (16 years).
At A-level (18 years), 80% for an A, 70% for a B etc.
At University (21 years) 70% gets you a first class degree, 60% for a 2:1 and 50% for a 2:2 - you can get a third class degree by only knowing 40% of the course!

However, I hear that the U.S system involves competitive marking; everyone within 10% of the top mark gets an A, 20% for a B etc, so you needn't get 100% to get 100% if you see what I mean - could anyone enlighten me on this?

Back to the thread topic - if you don't quite meet the requirements, definately ask if your performance warrants a contribution. Hope all goes well

SurfinSHELL23

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
Aberdeen, NJ
It also may have to do with the school he's in. I go to a top school in my state, so a 95 is worth a hell of a lot more here than it is at my town's high school.

Though this may not be the case.

My parents do this... I do not recieve an allowance per se. They give me an allowance each quarter on my report card which is based on my grades. Each grade is scaled to a dollar amount.

The lowest grades I've gotten in my career were 89's.
8th or 7th grade in religion... flunked a couple quizes... I suspect we probably had about four grades the whole quarter. The teacher changed it to a 90 when she realized it would keep me off of high honor roll.

This year... 1st quarter Physics.. an 89, got it up to a 95 2nd quarter, and should be in the 90's for the third now.

English... I really despise the teacher because she doesn't seem to care about us, so I'm not motivated to do her work. I got some mid 90s grade 1st MP, and an 89 2nd MP. I got my progress report for half way through this MP and it says I have a 96 thus far, including a test that I got an 86 on. So I guess I'm doing better.

I just feel like I'm being pulled too thin sometimes. I made a little picture to try to explain it, though you'll probably think I'm crazy. Like I'm the pin in the center. If I'm pulled to work hard in Physics, Latin drops. I was getting low scores on latin tests, in the 80's, but was getting good physics grades. Now I got a 94 on my last Latin test but an 88 on the physics. :-/ There's just not enough time...

Attachments

• sched.jpg
    sched.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 65

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
andrew050703 said:
However, I hear that the U.S system involves competitive marking; everyone within 10% of the top mark gets an A, 20% for a B etc, so you needn't get 100% to get 100% if you see what I mean - could anyone enlighten me on this?

Yeah, that's called a curve. You usually see that in colleges/universities, and even there it doesn't happen that often (in my experience). The grading system is generally up to the instructor, not the school.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
I don't understand why you can't bring your grades up to a B. It doesn't take a genius to do that. Out of all your classes, the only class that I could see being a struggle is French.

Your grades show a lack of effort in my opinion, and I personally don't think you should be rewarded with a laptop for anything less than all B's...or even just B's for that matter. But I am not your father and that is a very generous offer and easily obtainable...just do the work and don't expect to get it for any less.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.