Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
when I was in HS, I didn't need motivation, but I knew people who did. It wasn't because they weren't smart, it was because they didn't want to put in the effort, or they had no interest in the classes and therefore didn't strive to do what they could (heck I even did that in one class). I think that offering incentive sets a goal and reward system, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Your parents obviously care about your performance in school and pay attention to what you are doing, which is an admirable quality you do not always see in parent these days. Put in the effort and make the goal, you'll feel good because YOU acheived something and got something to show you that your effort was acknowledged and appreciated. Then you can see that you can acheive and set a higher bar for the next time and prove to yourself that you can consistently acheive. Your dad should not waiver in the "prize" but should not chide you either, rather encouraging you to do better the next time, maybe compromising as previously suggested.
In my university FYI the marks go like this (some variation occurs between classes and profs):
A+=98%+=4.0
a=95-98=4.0
A-=92-95=3.7
b+=88-92=3.3
b=84-88=3.0 <- minimum requirement to continue in most degrees
b-=80-84=2.7
c+=75-80=2.3
c=68-75=2.0 <- minimum grade accepted
c-=63-65=1.7
d+=59-63=1.3<-scores around here put you on academic probation if consistent
d=55-59=1.0
d-=50-55=0.7
f=0-49=0

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
By the remarks you all made, Im probably guessing youre schools are of easier subjects,tests etc.

But I don't think my dad made this deal me just so I can work hard and get the laptop, I think he wants me to understand I could get 80+'s if I really worked hard.Which I'm starting to get. And no laptop could ever match up to that.

Thanks to all.
I will post my notes for the 3rd term as soon as I get them (since I know they'll be great) :)

iPaul

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Must.Get.nano! said:
By the remarks you all made, Im probably guessing youre schools are of easier subjects,tests etc.

You shouldn't make those assumptions. I just graduated a few years back from Keystone in San Antonio, TX which was just named the World's Best in four AP subjects. And now I attend Concordia University which is a Top 20 private university in the US.

I would by no means call myself "gifted" but I put effort into what I do and study and it shows.

I have no doubts you can easily achieve the goal which was set for you. Just focus on what you need to get done now, and worry about the prize later :D

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
Please move this thread out of the mac forum. I dont want to come here looking for threads on Mac buying tips ending up reading about a stupid compaq.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
Must.Get.nano! said:

haha...nice try, but guess again. Making excuses (like the quote from you above) will not get you better grades. Only working hard, as your father is trying to motivate you to do, will increase your performance.

Best of luck to you. ~Josh

Deimo

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Everyone... this isn't rewarding someone for "mediocre" grades... it's rewarding someone for a marked improvement across the board in classes. I think his father is doing a great job by selecting a carrot to dangle in front of his son's head that is something that he'd want to get, and should want to work to obtain.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
A Compaq Presario? I'm not the first to say it, but go post this somewhere else, preferably not on the Mac forums. I'm glad you like to follow Apple and it's business, but that does not justify posting about maybe getting some PC.

On another note, people generally seem apalled by parents enticing good grades with a certain prize. I don't see a problem with this. I mean, I knew a kid that got prizes if he scored goals in our soccer games, and I thought that was pretty dumb, but for grades. Whatever.

I wish I that I would get a laptop for averaging 80s every semester, I would have had 13 free laptops by now.....
No offense I don't like it when people get paid for grades, some kids in my school would get pair $100 for an A by their parents, and that pissed me off to no end. Good luck anyway, when I went to college I paid for half of my powerbook, my dad likes to drive a hard bargain;)

rimrocka07011

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I hope you get your computer! I know at my school B's are hard to earn, and A's are tough as hell to get. I get mostly A's and some B's, but for a lot of people, getting B's are tough. If your Dad wants to reward you for straight B's, that's his choice. Just make sure to sell your Compaq on eBay for enough money to get a new MacBook (formerly known as "iBook"!). :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.