Grand Theft Auto launches for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by neiltc13, Nov 12, 2010.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Rockstar Games just announced that it has ported three Grand Theft Auto titles to Mac OS X:

• Grand Theft Auto III
    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

The games are on sale exclusively at GameTreeOnline for $14.99 each. In 30 days' time they will be available from more retailers (although no word on Steam just yet).

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...uto_trilogy_now_available_for_the_mac.article

2. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

knew they were releasing these but i thought as a trilogy. individually sucks. makes me wonder if there are any good controllers for the mac? the 360 controller is golden on pc but i will need to research controllers for the mac.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

$15 each, no SteamPlay, and Cider ports? Try again, Rockstar.

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Steam would be great. I bought them from Steam, anticipating that they would be released eventually, and they were only $7.50 for all 3, with GTA 1/2 as well. Wouldn't have paid $15 each anyway.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lol no I won't buy that.
    I bought (well, was gifted) the GTA1-3 pack when it launched on Steam 2 years ago. I'm not going to buy them again for another platform on the same computer. I'll wait until they're on Steam under Steamplay, if not then I'll just get my GTA kick on Bootcamp.

6. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Almost a decade late and Cider ports to boot, this is way too funny (and a little insulting to mac "gamers").

7. acastic macrumors regular

I've never had an issue running a Cider game. Not sure what the big deal is... Currently playing Dragon Age and it runs great on my 11" MBA.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh dear. I was hoping for a well deserved update to bring them up to date. Widescreen support, (usable) controller support. And Cider to boot.
    Damn. This is sucky.

9. roadbloc, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No steamplay?
    Bootcamp it is.
    Poor effort Rockstar.

10. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

The issues:
    - Cider means no Steam,means no cross-compatibility of saves, etc ...
    - Cider means paying twice
    - Cider means an absolutely undeniable performance hit (how much we can argue, but given the architecture of Cider, the presence of a performance hit is not something any reasonable person can deny).

In this particular case, since we JUST had a $7.50 for ALL of GTA 1, 2, 3, SA, and VC on Steam on PC two weeks ago ...

... $45 for a undeniably worse-performing version on the Mac? When it doesn't sell, I hope someone slaps them into realizing it is NOT due to the Mac gaming audience, but their own arrogance and stupidity.

11. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Riiiiight.

12. gnychis macrumors 6502

13. foiden, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

foiden macrumors 6502a

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. Dragon Age on low settings, with a few key features bumped up to medium, running at 800x600, actually runs well on fairly modest Macbook machines with a 9400M. I know I've done it with Bootcamp. We're not talking about bumping up to high settings here, nor a framerate of 60+, but it's playable particularly for an RPG. Thank goodness Dragon Age with lower-end settings actually still is quite presentable.

The Ultra 11" actually has the same CPU (albeit a faster bus speed) than my 2008 Gateway 6831fx economy gaming laptop (Yeah, they pretty much cut back on processor speeds to keep the cost down to non-gaming laptop for a laptop with a dedicated GPU Geforce 8800M). Which to be fair, would actually run faster (processor-wise) than my Gateway due to a speedier memory/bus architecture. But my Gateway was built with the full intention of running Crysis, when it launched. It was practically advertised for it.

If the 320M is what people say it is, over the 9400M, then I would not doubt this assessment, in the least.

14. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

15 bucks for the trilogy? Doesn't sound so bad... Wait - 15 per one? :D

15. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Been running them on VMware Fusion on XP through Steam. Screw $45 for all 3.

Also discovered gog.com. Must have spent $50 there so far. Most of my favorite childhood games are there. Interstate 76 and Under a Killing Moon! Awesome.

16. acastic macrumors regular

Exactly! I'm running Dragon Age at 1366 x 768 on low settings with some set to medium. No performace issues with those specs. I was playing on a 13" MacBook Pro with the 320M prior to that and the game looks on par and plays similar on the Air. It's a great little machine. I've also been playing Half-Life 2, Trine, and just purchased Majesty 2 yesterday. Handles them all!

17. acastic macrumors regular

All of these are the Mac versions.

18. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Note: the GTA collection is on sale on Direct2Drive now for $7.50

Childhood?!?! Feeling old once again ... games from my childhood had a line on either side of the screen and a square going back and forth, and the audio said either 'boop' or 'bip'. :D

19. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Well my "childhood" games I found here were from high school or so. Still seems far away. At 32, I barely remember anything before my Atari 2600 days :)

And I bought the GTA Collection when it was on Steam (Windows) for $7.50. Not sure I'd have paid much more than that unless it was for the Mac.

20. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yeah, I'm 30 and I barely remember when my Dad brought home an Atari 5200 for us (mostly him).

And for the record, I think Santa is talking about the pre-PS2 GTA games (1 and 2). Most people thing GTA3 = GTA, which is obviously WRONG. GTA3 would have come out when Santa was out of college (I was a college senior when it came out I think, 2001, right?)

21. 50548 Guest

I've heard a lot of whining about GTA for Mac and its pricing...but if I wanna buy one of them, which one is BEST? Thank you for your suggestions!

22. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

San Andreas by far out of the third episodes.
    GTA2 is the best imo tho.

23. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

for content, san andreas is best. however vice city has a following for its storyline.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My fave story: Vice City. It's all so very 80's.
    My fave environment: San Andreas. So much content and such a huge and varied map. You can really get lost in it.

25. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816