Graphics Card Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBP13, Aug 29, 2011.

1. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

Hi. Is this a sign that the NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics card is going bad in my mid-2010 MacBook Pro?

I've begun to get this quite a bit while in Safari and Firefox. Though this issue started after I upgraded to 10.7 Lion. Even updating to 10.7.1 hasn't fixed the issue.

ScreenShot2011-08-24at84446PM.jpg

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Do you still have applecare? If so then you should probably get that taken care of ASAP.

3. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

Yes, Applecare covers my MacBook Pro until Christmas. My mom did purchase the extended Applecare plan, but I can't find any of the things that I need to register the Applecare extended warranty..It sticks because that was a couple hundred dollars spent on something that I can't even find at the moment.

Anyway, it's weird because I only get that weird graphics issue while I'm in Safari or Firefox, not applications or anything else like that.

4. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

A friend had a very similar looking issue on his MBP. It turned out to be the actual logic board that was failing.

I used target display mode to get in a get all his stuff and he sent it in for a repair to Apple.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If it was purchased at the same time as the machine, it should already be setup for you.

If you are using Lion, go to Apple Menu > About this Mac, then click on the Service tab. You can check your coverage there.

If not, go to Apple Support, and you can enter hour serial number to check coverage.

6. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

Thank you for the help. I just checked the Applecare status of my MBP and AC expires on December 22, 2013.

Hopefully I won't have to bring in any proof of sale things or AC documents because I have absolutely no idea where any of that is lol.

7. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

That's linked to your MBP, no need for papers. ;)

8. trfjason macrumors member

Many users of 2010 MBP 13" reported a similar problem. I sometimes get the same issue when using Safari. I experienced this after upgrading to Lion, so it is highly possible that it is Lion's problem, not your MBP failing.

9. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I'll wait to see what 10.7.2 brings, and if the issue continues, then I'll bring it to an Apple store.

I appreciate your help, guys. You all are amazing lol.

10. lauph macrumors regular

I'd really want to ask a burning side question.

How does the graphic artifacts show up in the screenshot?
    Doesn't the screenshot take a picture of what the computer thinks it should display, the "perfect image"?
    while the artifacts generate in the GPU after the "perfect image" is fed into it?

I have seen many others posting screenshots of these artifacts but I never understand how the artifacts go back and show up in screenshots. :confused:

11. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

I took a screenshot and that's what the screenshot showed me. I didn't Photoshop/edit the image in any way..

12. lauph macrumors regular

I'm not questioning your image. Just wanted to understand how the artifact finds its way back in to show up in screenshots. I have seen many other screenshots like yours.

13. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

I too wondered this when I first saw the image.

14. mwoipenny macrumors newbie

Do you still have problems with artifacts? I have the same exact issue as yours, the problem is my warranty is until Dec 29, 2011. So I only got a few more weeks.

Please let me know for any update if you have it repaired or they replaced it with a new logic board.