Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krgarton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card in my 27" iMac Mid 2011, which currently has a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB. I have been unable to find out what NVIDIA graphics cards are compatible... I would love to upgrade to something like what they ship in the new iMacs- the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. Can anyone offer advice as to what is compatible and the best place to purchase? Thanks in advance.

Astelith

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Spain/Italy
I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card in my 27" iMac Mid 2011, which currently has a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB. I have been unable to find out what NVIDIA graphics cards are compatible... I would love to upgrade to something like what they ship in the new iMacs- the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. Can anyone offer advice as to what is compatible and the best place to purchase? Thanks in advance.

I heard of some incompatibility with Yosemite if you upgrade the card on old iMacs, I think is more convenient for you to see your iMac and go for a newer model, even 2nd hand, also because with a non apple card you are going to loose the boot screen.

frets

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2016
has anyone had any luck upgrading to Mac OS Sierra whilst using a GTX 780m chip??

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
I upgraded my neighbours 27" imac with a 4gb one he got off ebay and he very pleased with it as he and his son say it now plays online gaming like battle tank etc amazingly fast.

Double-G

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
I upgraded my neighbours 27" imac with a 4gb one he got off ebay and he very pleased with it as he and his son say it now plays online gaming like battle tank etc amazingly fast.
Which specific model was that, please?
Do all functions like the white bootscreen and brightness control work?

xxbeefydjxx

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2017
Which specific model was that, please?
Do all functions like the white bootscreen and brightness control work?
Very late reply but if you cannot find a card which came out of a iMac or a VBIOS dump for the card then you will lose Brightness and Boot screen functionality, you also have to mess with drivers every time you update and occasionally do a PRAM reset if it fails to boot into OSX

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.